WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
My rolex is already more than 10 years old now (i only use it once every few months), is it time to have it serviced?
How often do you guys have yours serviced?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
10 years..............I 2nd the motion to have your Rolex serviced.

·
Registered
335 Posts
have you owned the watch all ten years? has that been the fequency of wear for ten years? either way, it's time for servicing.

the longer you go between servicing, the more extensive the wear is likely to be, the more parts need replacing, the more expensive it will be. don't necessarily rely on the watch's accuracy. definitely get it serviced.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you owned the watch all ten years? has that been the fequency of wear for ten years? either way, it's time for servicing.

the longer you go between servicing, the more extensive the wear is likely to be, the more parts need replacing, the more expensive it will be. don't necessarily rely on the watch's accuracy. definitely get it serviced.
Thank you for your replies guys.

Yes ayres
I owned it the whole time, i only wears it once every 6-7 months. It's usually sitting comfortably in my safe untouched.

Is it true that i should service it every 3-5 years?
Maybe i should really get it done then. :roll:

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I would not have it serviced if it still is keeping good time. My Rolex Serti Sub is ten years old and I never had it serviced yet. It kept +3 seconds in 24hrs and now it still keeps +3 seconds in a day after 10 years. I see no advantage to open the watch up. It wont cost you any more if you wait until it starts to lose its accuracy. I do keep my Sub in a Orbita wind-up box when not wearing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get a service and wear it more often. it definitely deserves more wrist time
I got mine from my father, it's one of my most precious possession, hence i never wear it out as often than other watches i got (A little afraid i scratch or damage it). :roll:

I would not have it serviced if it still is keeping good time. My Rolex Serti Sub is ten years old and I never had it serviced yet. It kept +3 seconds in 24hrs and now it still keeps +3 seconds in a day after 10 years. I see no advantage to open the watch up. It wont cost you any more if you wait until it starts to lose its accuracy. I do keep my Sub in a Orbita wind-up box when not wearing it.
]
That a beautiful watch you got Mystro! I am well jealous :p

Let me time mine one too, maybe it's not as bad and like you said it doesn't really need a service yet.

·
Registered
395 Posts
both my serti sub and no date are 10 years old. sometimes the no date is worn for a week or so but the serti sits most the time in a drawer. no issues, they keep great time, and excellent power reserve. never serviced...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get it serviced. The rotor mount is a weakness and if the oil is displaced it will wear quickly and cause the rotor to hit a bridge, causing your service to double or triple in cost.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
@Mystro - but you do still have it pressure tested regularly, right? i'd hate to see such a beautiful watch rust from the inside out o_O

·
Banned
90 Posts
yea id say get your rolex seviced every ten years they say every 5 years but it really means 10 years i think they just want more money out of people every five years.

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
i would get it checked out seeing as its 10 years old but more importantly I would start wearing it :-s

Getting it out the safe every 6/7 months is rubbish, its not a rare watch so come on chap!
I appreciate its a precious possesion passed from your dad but did he keep it in a box or wear it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i would get it checked out seeing as its 10 years old but more importantly i would start wearing it :-s

getting it out the safe every 6/7 months is rubbish, its not a rare watch so come on chap!
I appreciate its a precious possesion passed from your dad but did he keep it in a box or wear it?
+1

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My watchmaker is Rolex certified and has advised me to bring in my Sub every year to check the amplitude. His take is, if it's running within a set parameter it doesn't need service. When the amplitude changes it is due. Time has no bearing on his recommendation.

I know there are those who subscribe to time between service but if you have your Rolex checked once a year in this way you can't go wrong. The question is: how many would do this? I don't know many guys who will take their Rolex in to a trusted watchmaker every year and leave it for a couple of weeks. If you wait until it starts loosing time it begins to wear parts (according to my watchmaker).

So, really your choice; time or having it checked yearly.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
my watchmaker is rolex certified and has advised me to bring in my sub every year to check the amplitude. His take is, if it's running within a set parameter it doesn't need service. When the amplitude changes it is due. Time has no bearing on his recommendation.

I know there are those who subscribe to time between service but if you have your rolex checked once a year in this way you can't go wrong. The question is: How many would do this? I don't know many guys who will take their rolex in to a trusted watchmaker every year and leave it for a couple of weeks. If you wait until it starts loosing time it begins to wear parts (according to my watchmaker).

So, really your choice; time or having it checked yearly.

Hope that helps.

x2:-!:-!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts