WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been listening to the Hodinkee H10 Livestreams and heard an interesting tidbit in the interview with Jean-Claude Biver. He was answering a Q and mentions researching how to hold customers to a brand. The full video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wigSZSxOkE

I will not go through his full answer, but two quick points:

He mentions that a customer buying a $1000 watch will buy one every 7 to 10yrs.
To their great surprise a customer buying a $100,000 watch will buy one every 3 to 5 MONTHS!

So my question here for fellow WUSers:

Does your personal experience follow this? How often do you buy a new watch and what approximate price range are they in?

Personally I am new into watches so I have started on the lowend. In the last year, maybe year and a half I bought a Casio Duro, two Seikos (Turtle and a Seiko 5), and a few Starking/Cadisen cheapos. A ton of different straps and NATOs, and some small mods on the Turtle. Just getting a feel for what I actually like and then will slowly work my way upscale.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I probably buy about 15 watches per year. I don't keep them all though and I rotate some of my slots as well regularly.

Edit: The watches range from about 200 - 6000 EUR in price

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think there are different types of people those that buy $1000 watches from those buying $100000 watches. The first category are those who do not really have the funds to buy a good quality watch too often, so when they buy a watch they tend to keep it. On the other hands, those that afford to spend $100000 on a watch are fewer in number.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It sort of makes sense. Most people who buy one nice watch aren't watch aficionados...they buy a nice watch and then wear it. They aren't collecting.

I'm guessing most people who pay $100k for a watch are serious watch lovers who are collectors and thus buy more.

Personally, I have averaged one watch per year over the past three years. Before that I bought two watches in 13 years.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Does your personal experience follow this? How often do you buy a new watch and what approximate price range are they in?
I bought 40 new watches (not counting used ones) in 7 years, so one every two months on average. The great majority was in the 300€-1000€ price range.

Before watches became a hobby, I bought one 100€ watch every three-five years. So in a way my behavior reflects what J-C Biver says, but on a completely different price level.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Personally I am new into watches so I have started on the lowend. In the last year, maybe year and a half I bought a Casio Duro, two Seikos (Turtle and a Seiko 5), and a few Starking/Cadisen cheapos. A ton of different straps and NATOs, and some small mods on the Turtle. Just getting a feel for what I actually like and then will slowly work my way upscale.
This is where I'm at, too. $40-600 range, I found WUS back in September, and since then have bought 12 watches, sold/traded 7. Currently pretty satisfied with 3 of the remaining 5, the other 2 are listed on the 'bay.

There's a microbrand release due out in April, and I'll have to save/make some cold-hearted decisions about which of the three "keepers" to keep and which to sell in order to acquire it. And probably a <$200 affordable to two that might needs be purchased, which will also necessitate "one-in; one out" strategery.

Slowing down for sure, after the initial freak out, and I anticipate fewer watches at higher prices and longer lengths of time between purchases -- I have some "grail"-type watches which many might consider affordable in the $1000-3000 range that I'd like to end up with over the next decade or so, but only 2-3 of those.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have been listening to the Hodinkee H10 Livestreams and heard an interesting tidbit in the interview with Jean-Claude Biver. He was answering a Q and mentions researching how to hold customers to a brand. The full video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wigSZSxOkE

I will not go through his full answer, but two quick points:

He mentions that a customer buying a $1000 watch will buy one every 7 to 10yrs.
To their great surprise a customer buying a $100,000 watch will buy one every 3 to 5 MONTHS!

So my question here for fellow WUSers:

he's basically saying poor people will save up to buy a new watch and it takes them 7 to 10 years to save enough to justify it. Rich people will just buy what they like whenever they see what they like, regardless of price. Just his opinion expressed in statistics.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
About 10 years ago I used to turn over watches every 2 weeks. Just to try out different brands and types.

Now I’m probably a one watch every 1-2 years. I would only get a watch if it can replace one or two of the watches in my current rotation. They also would have to be keepers.

For example I would love a brequet XX or a JLC DSC but are they that much better than my speedy pro to replace it ? Especially for $5000+ increase in cost (used) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I purchase between 1 and 3 new watches in a year. The number of watches I buy usually depends on the price. My normal price range is between 300 and 6000 USD. I am always looking for new watches to purchase and learn about. I would say I scour the forums and internet once maybe twice a day looking for something I may be interested in. I tend to buy and hang on to more watches than I sell though in a year. My ability to purchase depends on how life is going as well. If I am able to cut down expenses on things like weddings, airfare, cars, etc then I can find more liquid cash for watches. My most recent purchase is a Seiko SRP777 which I got on Black Friday.

To lend an ear and two cents to what was said about the buyer, I think it is spot on. Timepieces and horology can be expensive. Those with more liquid cash and assets are more likely and able to purchase at shorter intervals. Some of us have to save for a year or two to buy a new submariner or AP.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
It really depends. I have a certain amount of money I'm comfortable spending on watches. As a result, I often need to sell a watch to buy a new one. I have to really want a watch to sell something in my small collection.

·
Registered
498 Posts
During Estate Auction season - as often as I see them. Have ended up with about 50 by late fall one year. Usually 3 to 4 in the season.

The year of the about 50 I bought a bowl full of Mechanical watches and parts (sans bands). 20+ worked as soon as wound. UNFORTUNATELY they were all ladies watches.

I cleaned up on that buy, I paid $5.00.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have never bought more than 1 watch in a year, and I've probably averaged one watch every 1.5 years since I started this habit/hobby. I prefer to spend my time researching and carefully making decisions about what I buy as I'd rather not deal with the headache of selling.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Well... A couple of years ago I entered into a pact with my wife where I was to be "allowed" to purchase any new watch I wanted as long it wasn't "too expensive" (value not well defined). That year I purchased five watches but then my wife exclaimed that it was "too many watches" (and of course, "too any" was never well defined!). It's not the money spent, that's not a problem for us, it's that my wife sees my watch collecting mania as just a frivolous excess. BTW - I don't say a word to my wife about the hundreds and hundreds of $$$ she spends annually on costume jewelry! I just did a tally and I purchased five watches over this past year and I don't think my wife has realized that! But a couple of them were very inexpensive and/or purchased with extreme discounts at grey market sources like Touch of Modern or eBay. I'd like to limit my watch purchases to 1-2 a year BUT I JUST CAN'T! :-d

Reactions: Watchfiend12
1 - 20 of 53 Posts