WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, I know, this sounds like the most ridiculous thread, especially as this is a watch forum, but I have been thinking. Please bear in mind that my living room, kitchen and bedroom have a clock in it, and my office has a computer with the time looking me in the face. I am retired, and my life works like this.

Monday - golf in the morning, and my golf watch is worn. This gives me distance to the pin and hazards. I can also press a button for the time. Afternoon, I spend a few hours at the pub, where there is a large clock.

Tuesday - Volunteer at a donkey sanctuary. I only wear a cheap quartz watch on that day due to manual work, as the risk of damage to a decent timepiece is significant.

Wednesday - See Monday

Thursday - This is the day I do all my husband stuff. Wash the cars, cut the lawn, and repair things. I wear my quartz watch whilst doing this, otherwise I am in one of the household rooms with a clock.

Friday - See Monday

Weekends - I am either in the house, or having a drink in the pub. Occasionally we may go out for the day, however we can't right now.

I change my watch every day on a rota basis and love doing so, in reality though I am finding I rarely look at my watch to tell the time, how crazy is that? What about you

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I wear a watch, it seems that I look at the time numerous times per hour. My watch habits of waring a watch all of the time have drastically decreased over the years. I believe that since I am on a cell phone very often and can plainly see the time.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Normally I get the time from the most convenient place within my surroundings, so for the most part, wall clocks. They're right there. Especially working all day in Windows 10, where the time is in the lower right corner. Usually only get the time from my watch when it's the most convenient, so while I'm out and about.

I look at it a lot though, but if you were to ask me "what time is it?" I would probably have to look again LOL

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah, I know, this sounds like the most ridiculous thread, especially as this is a watch forum, but I have been thinking. Please bear in mind that my living room, kitchen and bedroom have a clock in it, and my office has a computer with the time looking me in the face. I am retired, and my life works like this.

Monday - golf in the morning, and my golf watch is worn. This gives me distance to the pin and hazards. I can also press a button for the time. Afternoon, I spend a few hours at the pub, where there is a large clock.

Tuesday - Volunteer at a donkey sanctuary. I only wear a cheap quartz watch on that day due to manual work, as the risk of damage to a decent timepiece is significant.

Wednesday - See Monday

Thursday - This is the day I do all my husband stuff. Wash the cars, cut the lawn, and repair things. I wear my quartz watch whilst doing this, otherwise I am in one of the household rooms with a clock.

Friday - See Monday

Weekends - I am either in the house, or having a drink in the pub. Occasionally we may go out for the day, however the Chinese have put a stop to this for the time being.

I change my watch every day on a rota basis and love doing so, in reality though I am finding I rarely look at my watch to tell the time, how crazy is that? What about you
OK, you had me with "donkey sanctuary".

And taking in the rest of your post, maybe it's not absolutely necessary for you to know what time it is for anything in your week/life? Except perhaps for tee time on Mon and Wed?

I'm intensely envious...

Haha.
But seriously, I use my watch the most for a time reference.
It's easier to look to one place for that.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Depends if I am doing something lots if not rarely . 😉

·
Registered
471 Posts
A lot, especially if I'm not at a computer or have a phone/tablet out that's constantly got the time up. I'm obsessive about knowing what time it is, and I'm hardly ever without a watch on.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Maybe 30% of the time. The rest would be my phone, the clock, or fitness band. I've become more mindful now to check my watch before anything else though. It's actually a great mindfulness exercise and forces me to be in the moment when I default to other sources then something clicks in me and reminds me to "look at your watch, stupid!" :LOL:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Very good question and a different perspective ... Usually when I don't have an easier and faster source to check the time like a wall clock, computer clock, etc. Mainly when I'm out of the house to get a "sensation" of time as a reference of time lapsed.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Wednesday - See Monday

Friday - See Monday

Weekends - I am either in the house, or having a drink in the pub. Occasionally we may go out for the day, however the Chinese have put a stop to this for the time being.

I purchased an Omega Sea Master in the Virgin Islands in 1998 and have worn it ever since, except the one time i sent it in for servicing. I wear it 23 hours a day; taking it off for showering. It is mesmerizing and i glance at it several times an hour. It is the most beautiful thing i ever bought myself>
all the best, Marty

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm so used to wearing one I rarely look beyond my wrist for a clock. Even working at a computer all day I still check my watch for time and date before the bottom corner of my monitor. Habit I guess. I'd say on average 10 times a day for time checking purposes, significantly more just to look at my watch.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I rarely look for a wall clock and never check my cel for the time. A simple twist of the wrist and I'm good. I probably check the time two three times per hour, maybe more.

Reactions: 2sylbl

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
This is exactly the sort of thread that turbo nerds like me love. Cross section of EDC, prep, minimalism, functionality philosophies lol.

1. Gym or jog, daily. Can't speak of the two watches I use for this on this forum (hehe) but one is a chrono and the other is a beater "dive" with a bidirectional bezel. Used to time the 3 minutes between sets and on jogs to let me know when I'm done with this running ********. In each situation, gets checked, like, every 30 seconds lol (on a run all I can think is "please end my suffering")

2. Backpacking, I wear a Casio ProTrek, PRW-6600Y-2CR. That model number is important cause the protrek line is a mess to figure out. I don't necessarily check the time all that often, but I am looking at it every few minutes or so because it's indicating my altitude (relative to my baseline as well as just in general) and also my compass direction. I'm usually backcountry backpacking, often off trails, so getting lost is easy and can instantly cause me to lose hours of time. I usually have a timer going from last waypoint to vaguely calculate, combined with bearing and altitude, where I am on the map. This wayfinding alone is a fun activity, I get to pretend I'm practicing for apocalypse or something :p

3. While working, I'm usually wearing my SBGA413. I will usually glance down at it because I work in a bunch of different operating systems, often have **** full-screened, etc, there's just many reasons where the clock won't be where I expect it on my screen, so I would say every 10 minutes ish or so I'm glancing down to make sure I'm not missing a meeting.

4. My Seiko Turtle modded to all hell sneaks it way in usually after work, when I like something with a bit of lume on it. It doesn't really have a defined place because it's not exactly a beater, but also if I'm going out I'm gonna wear my SBGA413 of course. I really want to love this watch but now that I have the SBGA413 it doesn't get as much wrist time :( Oh, I do wear it while cooking! Timer bezel surprisingly useful, and I don't mind if this thing gets splattered with oil, I have it on a brushed bracelet and I've modded it with sapphire.

5. I forgot, I did experiment with strapping a mudmaster to my motorcycle handlebars, to have like, timer, compass etc right there on the dash, but it was so vibraty and wiggly so as to be useless. That would have been fun, sad it didn't work out :(

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I purchased an Omega Sea Master in the Virgin Islands in 1998 and have worn it ever since, except the one time i sent it in for servicing. I wear it 23 hours a day; taking it off for showering. It is mesmerizing and i glance at it several times an hour. It is the most beautiful thing i ever bought myself>
all the best, Marty
How come you take it off to shower? I usually take my watches in to the shower, get a bit of soap on them, towel them off after with me, great way to keep them pretty clean (otherwise grunge will slowly but surely accumulate between links, in little creases near the bezel etc).

1 - 20 of 155 Posts