WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is great stuff. First time I have come across someone on a watch forum with such a high level of knowledge who is willing and able to share their experience in a non patronising manner. One of the main issues for me is that preventative maintenance is hugely important in the long run. Coming from the motor industry I have been baffled a few times by colleagues who own a nice watch but refuse to get them serviced because of the cost, it wouldn't even cross their mind not to get a car serviced so why not look after a watch that cost them thousands or even a few hundred quid.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I agree this post should be archived and pinned as a sticky!

Happy holidays, guys : )

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hi Al,
A question for you sir,
Will running my watch on a winder wear out the watch quicker (or bring on the need for a service) or will the constant movement cycles aid the placement of the lubricants?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
This is why i like spending my time here....i learn stuff. :-!
Cheers for posting Al.

Reactions: yande

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi Al,
A question for you sir,
Will running my watch on a winder wear out the watch quicker (or bring on the need for a service) or will the constant movement cycles aid the placement of the lubricants?
Thanks
A winder is a convenience that does nothing to aid the movement or the placement of lubricants (they are held in place by capillary action in the jewels). Compared to letting the watch run down and stop when you are not wearing it, yes the winder will cause wear and the need for service sooner.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Al
As a new omega owner, what would you recommend the service interval for the 9300 calibre? 5 yrs?
Thanks
The 9300 is new enough that I have no experience with it yet, so I would recommend sticking with whatever Omega recommends for now.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
A winder is a convenience that does nothing to aid the movement or the placement of lubricants (they are held in place by capillary action in the jewels). Compared to letting the watch run down and stop when you are not wearing it, yes the winder will cause wear and the need for service sooner.

Cheers, Al
I wish we could make THIS post a giant sticky somewhere - if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that winders keep the lubricants more evenly distributed..... I also think WUS should set aside some place where the original post, and ones like it, could be grouped and stored for future reference. Kind of like Timezone did in placing Walt Odets' post in the 'Horologium'.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

Cheers, Al

Many thanks for your answer Al
Andy

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
psst, that 3000 cal. (first 4 photo) is my watch lol.

As I was scrolling down I panicked that all the photos were taken from my watch and was concerned about the severity of its condition but was relieved when I realized that it was complication of different examples.

Phew :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks for this great post again. I must admit that I'm not that thorough on the service intervals but this post shook me up again. So I decided I have to plan it more securely to be sure I don't forget it. Because of the long intervals it's easy to forget or to postpone another couple of months. Having 10 different watches I think I'll set up a separate calendar just to be safe :-d

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Thanks for the information! I had read this earlier but didn't post so I had a really hard time finding it again (was looking on a completely different forum)! Now I can go back through my posts to find it again :D.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi Al, many thanks for the information.

Got a question for you.. which I have been pondering for awhile. I noticed that when an Omega automatic watch leaves the factory (in the transparent plastic box), the crown is left in position 2 with the movement hacked. Not sure why this is the case. Perhaps by hacking the movement, it reduces potential shock effects while the watch is being shipped.

If the watch is not put on display, the dealer will usually store it in this same manner. Presumably, if it is a slow moving model, it may be stored that way for years. Isn't it bad to leave the crown open instead of closed? Wouldn't this lead to the oil drying up sooner and the possibility of moisture / dirt entering the watch? Why not store with the crown wound down instead?

·
Registered
367 Posts

Cheers, Al
Al, please enlighten me. Which can cause more wear: the watch winder's continuous rotation or the constant pulling/pushing/turning of the crown to adjust time? And which among the two (wear caused by watch winder or constant use of the crown) will cost higher repair?

From your answer, I could easily determine what options to choose. It's not about convenience but its about what causes more wear and more cost in the long run.
Thanks in advance and happy Yuletide Season.!!

·
Registered
367 Posts

Got a question for you.. which I have been pondering for awhile. I noticed that when an Omega automatic watch leaves the factory (in the transparent plastic box), the crown is left in position 2 with the movement hacked. Not sure why this is the case. Perhaps by hacking the movement, it reduces potential shock effects while the watch is being shipped.

If the watch is not put on display, the dealer will usually store it in this same manner. Presumably, if it is a slow moving model, it may be stored that way for years. Isn't it bad to leave the crown open instead of closed? Wouldn't this lead to the oil drying up sooner and the possibility of moisture / dirt entering the watch? Why not store with the crown wound down instead?
Good question.

·
Registered
99 Posts

I too was wondering about the same issue. I've read similar advice before for both quartz and mechanical watches. The threat of moisture seeping through is definitely a cause for concern. Looking forward to your reply Al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Al. Thanks again for your insight and the manner this information was displayed. Very informative and easy to understand. My sincerest thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Al, thanks for this very informative post. A good reminder that I don't know the last time my 7750 based watch was serviced. I think you've convinced me to have it attended to in the new year. I don't know the service history of my SKX 007 either, but I think a drop-in replacement movement might be cheaper than a service on the 7S26.
I'll be sitting down and creating a a spreadsheet of my watches with the purchase / service dates recorded in order to keep better service intervals in the future.

Chris

41 - 60 of 172 Posts