WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Al, know there is a million posts after your original, but I have a question.

Using a local watchmaker, are the certifications a pretty clear sign that the watchmaker is good for a service?

I worry about having a local guy work on my co-axial.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I just realized this post is from 2012, sorry for the resurrection, no need to respond
No worries - it tends to pop up every so often with new questions, and I'm happy to answer them...

Al, know there is a million posts after your original, but I have a question.

Using a local watchmaker, are the certifications a pretty clear sign that the watchmaker is good for a service?

I worry about having a local guy work on my co-axial.
Like any profession (doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc.) having all the qualifications tells you that the person has met some minimum standard. And like all those it doesn't mean that the work will always been done right, or doctors wouldn't need malpractice insurance for example. So yes it can be helpful to a degree, but I would not rely on certifications alone. I would seek feedback from others who have used a specific watchmaker to get a feel for how they do the work and what they are like to deal with.

With regards to servicing co-axial watches, I personally held off taking any in for servicing until I had the training directly from Omega. I turned down many requests because I wanted to be sure I was doing the work right before I serviced any of these. Not everyone takes the same approach, and for example I have had watchmakers who are not certified contact me and ask for help when they were not sure what to do. One even did this after I had previously advised him not to take these without having the equipment and training needed, but he said he thought he would just "wing it" and see how things went. That's certainly not my approach when dealing with a customer's watch, but clearly others don't have a problem experimenting at the expense of their customers.

My advice would be to make sure whoever works on a co-axial for you has had the training directly from Omega, has access to replacement parts from Omega, and has the specific tools required for servicing co-axial watches.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with Al. The first thing to check is that the person has had the training and equipment, however, I'd respectfully suggest that this does not give the whole picture. What is equally important is the competence of the person. Competence is defined in ISO 19011:11 as: “the ability to apply knowledge and skills to achieve intended results.”

A good analogy is:

“Do you know how to drive a car?”

“I was trained and acquired a driving license but I am still not confident to drive a car.”

“That means you have the qualifications but not the competence.”

It's a lot more difficult gather evidence of competence than qualifications. Reviews and forums give some idea of competence. When you come across a watchmaker that has both, your chances of a satisfactory outcome are massively increased!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Al. Surprised no one has chimed in since 2012. Really interesting read that will update my rules of thumb for the collection.

Cheers from California

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Surprised no one has chimed in since 2012.
That's because no one has "chimed in" since Sept. 2018. Go to the top of this page, and in the tool bar on the right, click on "Display." Select "Linear" for the reading mode, so that you will see the oldest post first, and the newest post last. You're welcome.

Reactions: rfortson

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Only read the original post but so informative, a lot to think about. Great reading and thanks for all the details.
Read through the whole thread for all of Archer's posts, as he provided additional details and clarifications. Worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This thread is full of so many great information. Really interesting and great that you keep answering all the questions. A real addition to this forum.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
This thread is full of so many great information. Really interesting and great that you keep answering all the questions. A real addition to this forum.
You're right. It is great that someone exploring will bump this thread periodically, but it would be much more useful for many more watch aficionados if it had a "sticky." :think:

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
You're right. It is great that someone exploring will bump this thread periodically, but it would be much more useful for many more watch aficionados if it had a "sticky." :think:
I totally agree. Consider my name #2 on the petition.

Rene

Reactions: kostasd87
161 - 172 of 172 Posts