WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently got my late grandfather's wrist watch cleaned and refurbed and was wondering how I could find out what year or decade that it was likely made.

Is there any tip or detail I can use to find out more information about when watches, and this one in particular, were made?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
It's not an important name, but it's your grandfather's, so important enough in that way.

Case style says later 60's early 70's style

Many companies follow the trend. If one produces a certain style. Others follow

DON

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don.

You're right, not interested for any financial reasons (I have plenty of my own watches for that, more just interest of the period.

Thanks for your indication. I'll use this forum more I think!

Rob.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
It is definitely from the '70s.
From the net:
Established in 1971 by Bruce McGuire, the Montine brand was a bestseller inflight, selling over half a million units per year during the 1980s. This prompted the Montine advertising slogan – “˜one sold every minute around the world’.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There is no way that it's from the 1950s. The "C-case" case shape only came into fashion in the late sixties. The shape of the hands is more 1960s than 1950s. And Tritium ("T SWISS MADE T") only came into use around 1960.

Hartmut Richter
I guess you're right on that. The watch could've been up to the 70's also.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,892 Posts
I told already that the brand Montine of Switzerland was established in 1971. And then 5 posts discussing if it is from '50s or '60s.o_O
Yes, well, sometimes members get a little side-tracked. I never disputed that it's from the seventies, I just wanted to point out that it could not possibly have been from the fifties (giving reasons why). Never mind.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts