WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started my watch journey with a Seiko Presage Urishi that my wife got me for our anniversary:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Everyday carry

I love the watch, love the Urishi craftsmanship that went into hand making the dials, etc. and I love that my Dad, who passed away a few years ago, wore a Seiko for decades, one he got while he was in Vietnam.

I tend to wear the watch most days. But I've noticed a very thin scratch on the crystal (thin enough you can only see it in the exact right light and at the exact angle) and the case has numerous light scratches here and there.

I'd love to keep in in perfect shape, but I'm not sure how I can. I assume there's no "safe" way to buff out the light scuffs on the case?

How perfect do you keep your watch?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
None. None perfect.

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
I try to not bang it up but if it happens it happens.

They get used everyday so sooner or later something bad is gonna happen.

My Longines 1945 has just come back from the doctors after I dropped it 🙄

·
Registered
634 Posts
I once knew a guy during the early 90's that wore an incredibly expensive Ulysses Nardin. The story went that his uncle owned a watch shop and gave the guy a watch. Back then he described it as a $15,000 watch.

This guy definitely wore it. Completely beat to hell. Not a single millimeter wasn't scratched or nicked. He wasn't so much into watches. All he knew was that his uncle gave it to him. He was a rather spoiled punk of a person. Didn't care what happened to the watch. At all.

Went to jail for pistol whipping a store clerk. The milk delivery man showed up during the robbery and beat the dudes a$$. Went to prison. No idea where the watch went.

Moral of the story. Don't worry about scratches.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I try to keep mine as nice as possible, but appreciate the inevitability of scratches or swirls on any watch that isn't a safe queen. That being said, simply being careful while wearing the watch is one way to try to keep it looking it's best. Be mindful of where your wrist is relative to door frames, countertops, any kind of stone/brick surfaces, running water, etc.; try not to store the watch in places where it can be knocked onto the floor or a hard surface from any height; keep it away from kids and pets; keep it relatively clean (i.e. wipe off anything that may get on the watch during the course of wearing it, smudges, etc.). Basically, unless someone is absolutely ham-fisted, they shouldn't have a problem keeping a watch looking nice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wear my watches and typically wear one 24/7 so I certainly don't keep them anywhere near perfect. But, I won't buy a watch unless it has a good crystal as I can't abide scratches on that.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts