WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering what you are thinking about the SMPc. Is it just a dressy boutique wannabe diver or can it serve as a piece of professional diving equipment?

Owners with pictures for us are especially welcome to this thread ;-)

·
Registered
754 Posts
It's dressy, however I'm sure it will serve as a professional instrument for those who intend to use it as such...

Sarcasm...one of the many services I offer

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Many real divers actually dive with Seiko watches which cost 1/10th the price of that Omega, so it's a luxury watch using the words "dive" and "professional" for marketinge purpose, and desk divers (like me) love it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It's easily as good for diving as a cheaper Seiko, but not necessarily better. A high price tag doesn't mean it can't do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that many divers tend to gravitate towards cheaper diving watches because they perfectly do the job but my question wasn't about the value at all. I'd feel comfortable banging my 2,5k watch around under water since I never babied any of my watches and I generally trust the makers.
I own a Tudor Black Bay (Burgundy) which is a little too dressy for my taste (big polished sides, gold accents, etc.) and not what I would consider a professional diving instrument. Rather I see it as a very sporty dress watch that if needed would survive a dive.
Was hoping the SMPc would be a little different in that regard.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It's as professional as any dive watch over $2000 these days.
Agree. High end divers are like a $75,000 Cadillac EXT truck. You never see one of those on a construction site.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Absolutely a professional diving instrument Omega's been doing that for quite some time. But I agree I would probably still want to take a cheap inexpensive Seiko beater if it fails I'll just throw it away and get another one

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
Agree. High end divers are like a $75,000 Cadillac EXT truck. You never see one of those on a construction site.
Uhmmmmm...... not sure if I should be embarrassed to say this but in Texas you do see trucks like that on construction sites. Maybe not that exact model but definitely in that price range.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Uhmmmmm...... not sure if I should be embarrassed to say this but in Texas you do see trucks like that on construction sites. Maybe not that exact model but definitely in that price range.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
If you price average pick ups, crew cab type, the prices are nearing that now

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
If you price average pick ups, crew cab type, the prices are nearing that now
No kidding - as a (somewhat) recent purchaser of my first pickup, prices are nuts. Took me a while to square with the cost before purchasing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think I probably don't dive with the people you're diving with. You only need a dive computer like cressi, suunto or the likes, if you want a mechanical watch for backup it's probably fine, but if you're diving with your Omega thinking it's a professional tool, you probably don't dive too much. Only people i'll see with expensive watches that dive are people who want to take their watches under water to say they've been diving with them. Not as actual tools. Of course nothing wrong with that, adds a story to the watch.

If all you need is a watch that tells time, has a bezel and is water resistant, then I suppose the SMP are as good as anything else.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think this is as professional as it gets. It represents diving every beautiful reef in the world. Drool drool drool :)

I agree, I think it would work as well as any other diver out there. I wear mine on the Speedmaster style bracelet. I don't dive but if I did I would probably consider a different strap, but I think the watch would work great. As a tool though I don't disagree with the people that say it is too expensive for most divers to use. If a person wants to dive with it, then go ahead and dive with it. If you want a capable dive watch but don't want to spend that much, well you can do that too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Potential problems: that bezel looks like it would be a pain to turn with gloves on, and the hour and minute hands look very similar.
In reality the bezel is very easy to turn unless you use 7mm gloves, and the hands are the best I've ever used diving, I don't like the blue dial and polished bezel on the surface but in the water they are great.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts