WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am looking to buy a Vostok off eBay, but I am wondering how reliable Vostok is. I am not familiar with the brand, and I want to know if they make quality time pieces. What are your experiences with Vostok? How reliable are their Soviet era watches?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,286 Posts
Hi. I own several Soviet era Vostok watches and I find them to be very well made and reliable. But it does also depend on the condition so make sure that the seller details the condition and if it's working correctly and be sure to communicate with them if there are any issues. They're probably some of the best value you can get for the price. I also own a modern Vostok and a Vostok Europe and they're also well made watches. If you need more specific details or questions on specific watches then you might want to ask on the Russian forum as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
^^^ What he said. The Soviet era designed watches have proved to be both excellent value and durable. However if you want assurances - these watches are still manufactured and available new, with a guarantee. EBay may not be the best way to go and the choice at some of the vendors web sites is much broader - take a trip to the Russian forum as advised.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
They are usually quite reliable, I own a dozen and I didn't had issues with them. The Komandirskies from Soviet era are sometimes better quality than newer ones, but they are vintage/nos so they could need maintenance soon.
Sometimes I have the impression that quality may resent the current financial situation so I think choosing a reliable dealer is most important, because 2 years warranty is plenty enough to be sure the watch has no problems.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you spend some time looking around the affordables (f71) forum you'll see that Vostok gets lots of love. I have two and I'm quite fond of them.

i-mxXrcgM-M.jpg
I bought this 'Desert Shield' Amphibia used from EBay (sorry, just realized I don't have a close-up of it). It works great.

i-nWfrp5s-M.jpg
My'Zissou' that I bought new (from ChristopolCity.com). Shown on its original bracelet. Their bracelets aren't well regarded.

i-PJpVmjd-M.jpg
Shown here on a leather nato. I wear it most often on a 'bond' nato (just realized that I don't have any pics!). It is one of my most worn watches.

I plan on getting more Vostoks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
As mentioned above Vostoks have been around for a long time and are superb watches, both the Soviet versions and the current ones. The value for the money is unbeatable. Mine runs about +2, +4 a day. There is also potential for modding.

·
Registered
11,286 Posts
As mentioned above Vostoks have been around for a long time and are superb watches, both the Soviet versions and the current ones. The value for the money is unbeatable. Mine runs about +2, +4 a day. There is also potential for modding.

A lot of potential for bezel swaps. Here's a modern Scuba Dude with a bezel made by forum member Pers in Russia.

C360_2013-10-09-14-58-36-267.jpg

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Yeah, the bracelets are awful. If you get a Vostok on the original bracelet then definitely plan to replace it.

Not all of them. My k34 komandirskie came with a good bracelet. It's well made with a distinctive look, and it's lightweight and comfortable. My $200 Seiko diver needed an aftermarket bracelet upgrade. But the stock Vostok bracelet is more than adequate.

But I know the <$100 Vostok watches come with low quality bracelets.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I've owned Vostoks from the 50s (Kama) to the present (Vostok 5/6 forum watch) and have found them to be reliable workhorses, ticking away, often unserviced since new. There are some great models to be had, Soviet and modern. Check out Meranom's site for some great new special editions - Vostok are having a bit of a golden era at the mo
Kama

5/6

my little red favourite (60s Komandirskie)

cool new special edition:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/new-amphibia-model-great-dial-cool-bezel-922397.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts