WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I'm considering buying an Omega Deville on internet for the first time. I'm obviously a bit unsure as to the authenticity of watches bought on the internet. Without wanting to discredit major internet retailers, is it safe to purchase through say amazon.com, authenticwatches.com, redfingerprint etc?
Please allay my fears :-s.

Kind reards,
Al...

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Dear all,

I'm considering buying an Omega Deville on internet for the first time. I'm obviously a bit unsure as to the authenticity of watches bought on the internet. Without wanting to discredit major internet retailers, is it safe to purchase through say amazon.com, authenticwatches.com, redfingerprint etc?
Please allay my fears :-s.

Kind reards,
Al...
I have had experience with the first 2 mentioned. They are both legitimate gray market watch dealers. You will get a warranty through the seller, not the Omega Mfg.'s warranty. Also, you may not get the red Pictogram or Chrono Cert. cards. You will, however, get a brand new authentic Omega watch with a serial number. ( Usually their ads mention that the serial number is intact). If this is O.K. with you, you can save alot of money. Alternatively, you can request contact info for the forum's favorite AD, who gives a pretty generous discount and your new watch will come with all the goodies and the Mfg.'s warranty. Personally, I'm not familiar with the third Etailer mentioned. I hope this helps. Good luck!

;-) KAT

·
Registered
345 Posts
Al, you might also want to consider buying pre-loved pieces. They can save
you a lot of money because their depreciation from new is considerable.
After that they usually hold their value well.

Remember what the smart ones in the watch fora say though, buy the seller!

Cheers

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Alternatively, you can request contact info for the forum's favorite AD, who gives a pretty generous discount and your new watch will come with all the goodies and the Mfg.'s warranty.

;-) KAT
:-!

mike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm currently in a similar situation. I'll be buying a 42 black PO within the next week or so. I've been looking at the standard grey market merchants...but haven't really considered used. Any advise on the pursuit of a used PO?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Here is the previous thread regarding this issue: "Grey Market" Pitfalls?

Personally, I prefer our favorite AD - large factory-fresh inventory, great product knowledge/customer service, and competitive pricing.

As for pre-owned, I would check on forum Sales Corners and with our trusted eBay sellers:

jmryshi
sabashioyakiz1
kaberui

Fr. John†

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have bought all my watches off the web. All second hand, and once even payed by wire transfer, with no guarantees at all... It is a matter of trust, and there are several ways to gain trust in a person. Look at the stickies on the sales corner, and follow the advices. Follow them!
Make lots of inquires to know the watch you are buying in advance. Search for large pictures on google search.
To buy from someone within this, or equivalent forums is a very reassuring factor; You can read their messages and see how they behave and so fourth.
On eBay, anything less than 99% positive feedback is a big alarm warning. The more feedbacks, the better, of course:-!

Good luck, and happy bidding!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought pre owned - the watch came with a full service from Omega (with a new 2 year warranty) and I was able to verify the authenticity using this method. It was 2 years old and, through being serviced, in pristine condition. The best bit was that the watch was half the price of a new one.
I think I did pretty well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone utilized AUTHENTICWATCHES.com? A buddy of mine claims to have gotten great prices with overnight shipping, warrenty, etc. on new watches, with manufacturer's serial #. They also have a 100% favorble rating on E-Bay. i was thinking of buying a new Speedy PO. I only have vintage now. Warry of buying on-line.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Has anyone utilized AUTHENTICWATCHES.com? A buddy of mine claims to have gotten great prices with overnight shipping, warrenty, etc. on new watches, with manufacturer's serial #. They also have a 100% favorble rating on E-Bay. i was thinking of buying a new Speedy PO. I only have vintage now. Warry of buying on-line.
As long as you don't mind getting your warranty directly through them, and probably not getting the pictogram or chronometer cert. cards, they are very reputable. Godd luck.

;-) KAT

·
Registered
474 Posts
Try the FAD. In my experience, the prices meet or beat AuthenticWatches.com, with quick shipping, and full manufacturer warranty versus the 3rd party warranty of a gray market dealer like Authentic Watches.

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
I have bought all my watches off the web. All second hand, and once even payed by wire transfer, with no guarantees at all... It is a matter of trust, and there are several ways to gain trust in a person. Look at the stickies on the sales corner, and follow the advices. Follow them!
Make lots of inquires to know the watch you are buying in advance. Search for large pictures on google search.
To buy from someone within this, or equivalent forums is a very reassuring factor; You can read their messages and see how they behave and so fourth.
On eBay, anything less than 99% positive feedback is a big alarm warning. The more feedbacks, the better, of course:-!

Good luck, and happy bidding!
+1 :-! Virtually all mine have come off either eBay or Sales Corners, though I prefer the SCs for larger purchases.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think all purchases where they are not done face to face has some risks. If paid with a credit card you are protected somewhat as you have a resource for any complaints.
The internet is not a end all for cheap purchases as one can do well with a local AD, and with the expectation of service after sale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts