WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about picking up a Rangeman, though I admit to wondering if there will be an update or something new and exciting from Basel. I know I'm alone with this ;-)

My favorite Rangeman has an army green bezel and strap with positive display. Other than the Camo version, Casio doesn't make the version I want. My understanding is that the best way to go is to buy a Black Positive then swap in a Green bezel and strap (are there several versions of Green?).

But I've never touched a G-Shock with a screwdriver. How hard is this? If I'm careful and good with my hands, is it just a matter of unscrewing a few screws and popping the new one on? I'm sure there are youtube tutorials, which I should probably look for ;-)

Thanks.
John

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I did my GravityMaster and getting the shell off and on was sort of hard. I was afraid I was going to break it. I finally got in on but there was a little spring between the case and module that went to spring heaven.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Rangeman: Positive Green

Hi, What you are considering is really a band and bezel swap as opposed to a module swap which requires 2 watches

What you propose will get you this:
Positive green with red eye with RED Rangeman

To get a positive green with gold eye and yellow "Rangeman" requires a green watch to get the gold eye with yellow "Rangeman" and a black (or yellow) watch to get a positive screen module. The eye is integral to the case. You need to get a green case.

Initially I did only the band and bezel swap which was OK until I was encouraged by seeing another member do the module swap and teach us what issues to be careful of when opening a Rangeman and removing the module.

This thread contains crucial information about what to do to safely swap Rangeman modules:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rangeman-proposition-make-positive-green-rangeman-948861-4.html

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
There are 2 versions of army green, JDM version called 9400J has a carbon fiber strap. The international version has a regular resin strap

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Info below is for simple band/bezel swaps:
Rangeman Swap, Making a positive Red or Navy Rangeman or negative Grey:

Remove only the 4 band screws, as for this mod, we are doing only a simple band and bezel swap. No need to open up the back of the watches.

Once the 4 bands screws are stowed in a safe place, note that there is a 2 button side and a 3 button side to the Rangeman. With the watch upside down, We are going to pry off the 2 button side 1st with a thumbnail. Note that between the 2 buttons is the sensor and inside the bezel is a small plastic cover piece over the sensor. This piece is going to make the trip to the other Rangeman with the bezel, keeping track of it should that piece get loose from the bezel. Just pop it back into the bezel.

With the Rangeman back side up, using a thumbnail inserted between a button on the 2 button side, gently pry the bezel away from the case, working down past the sensor to the other button, sliding the bezel out over the buttons on one side. Once the 2 button side of the case is outside the bezel, gently remove the bezel from the other 3 button side and you will have 2 pieces of Rangeman in your hand. Repeat with the other Rangeman.

To reinstall the bezel on the other Case, reverse the procedure, gently lining up the 3 button side 1st inside the new bezel and gently working the plastic over the 5 respective buttons, keeping track of the little sensor cover piece that could potentially come loose. Just put it back inside the bezel if need be.

Once the bezel is installed, flip the Rangeman over and check that all the functions and buttons work OK, then reinstall the bands on their proper ends. Do Not Over-Tighten the screws, just snug them up gently, taking care not to strip the plastic threads.

And Viola! Modded Rangeman!
Enjoy!

P.S. As an aside, the green Rangeman positive swap is a whole nother animal, where in order to get the gold eye on the Green Rangeman, we do open up the watch

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm the original poster on this thread and, brilliant guy that I am, I went ahead and ordered a Black Positive GW9400-1 before waiting for all of your informative responses. I had assumed that all Rangeman positive displays were the same and was unaware that some have a gold eye and some have red. Any thoughts on whether this matters or which looks better? When the black Rangeman comes, I will probably still go ahead and order a green bezel and band but I'm sort of wondering if I should have just bitten the bullet and ordered a Green Camo Rangeman. No regrets though -- I'm sure the Rangeman will be fantastic, regardless of color!

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Well, I'm the original poster on this thread and, brilliant guy that I am, I went ahead and ordered a Black Positive GW9400-1 before waiting for all of your informative responses. I had assumed that all Rangeman positive displays were the same and was unaware that some have a gold eye and some have red. Any thoughts on whether this matters or which looks better? When the black Rangeman comes, I will probably still go ahead and order a green bezel and band but I'm sort of wondering if I should have just bitten the bullet and ordered a Green Camo Rangeman. No regrets though -- I'm sure the Rangeman will be fantastic, regardless of color!
I think both the red eye and gold eye versions look good with a green bezel and strap. I'd be happy with either one, but what's important is whether you have a strong preference for one or the other. The red eye one is easier and cheaper to build.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
The army green with the gold negative screen are easy to find. Then swap in the positive module from the black using the instruction links previously posted in this thread to get a positive green with gold eye.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you're only aming for strap and bezel swap then it's pretty easy. All you need is a good + screwdriver and you're ready to go. Just remember to not over tighten the screw after assembling the strap and when removing bezel look for the small sensor cover, make sure u don't lost it.
But if you gonna do full module swap, well, that's out of my expertise LOL. Just be careful with the sensor's cable.

I type butter on mah phon

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Everdying, how much hand painting did you have to do here (e.g., Red arrow and Black lettering)? Looks great.
Not to diminish Everydying's great paint job, but painting bezels is EASY, and doesn't require a tiny brush. All you need is some enamel modeling paint, nail polish, or acrylic paint, some Kleenex, rags, or something similar, and the proper solvent/thinner for your paint of choice. You don't even need a brush -- a few of us have just used Q-tip type cotton swabs!

Dab the paint into the recessed letters and don't worry too much about the excess on the surface of the bezel. Let it dry for a few moments (the exact time depends on your choice of paint) and then gently wipe the excess off the surface with your cloth-like substance LIGHTLY moistened with thinner/solvent, leaving the paint behind in the recesses.

My last two times I tried a new tactic that worked pretty well: dab the paint on, let it dry briefly, and then I just rolled the painted section across a piece of paper on my desk, as if it were a rubber stamp -- that removed most of the excess paint without any chance of removing it from the recessed letters -- and then gently wiped the last of the excess off with thinner and a cloth.

Two of the many threads on the topic: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how-repaint-change-colour-letters-g-shock-68211.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/how-paint-bezel-letters-544648.html

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
what Mike K said, except i removed all traces of the original color (yellow lettering and black arrow) before adding on the new colors.
else i fear the original black arrow would melt into the new red, plus removing the original colors gave me a deeper recess to get more paint into.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts