WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello WUS,

My next watch I want to get would be something in a precious metal, most likely the yellow gold day dates since I absolutely love the bracelet.
However, I know gold can be quite soft, and I hear yellow is the softest of all (with white gold being slightly sturdier).

In everyone's experience, just how soft is gold?
If I tap a desk end or wall is there going to be an indentation?
Is it even feasible to repair if its damaged?

Cheers,
Jim9162

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well it's not putty, so you are unlikely to get indentations unless you really bang it!

Of course it will scratch, as does stainless steel, but people have been wearing gold rings for years and they get a lot more battering than a watch will. They still look fine after all the abuse they get, so I think that you can rest easy with your watch.

Small scratches do buff out quite easy if you need them to.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Gold is a lot softer than steel, and thus will mark easier.

The real issue is that when refinishing the watch you tend to lose the original lines a lot easier than with harder metals, thus the watch tends to look smoother.

Check out gold cased Rolex for sale on Watchfinder, the refinished cases look different, and not in a good way.

I would say IMO it is not suitable for a daily wearer if you are active.

·
Registered
19,216 Posts
I used to think that rose gold is the softest.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I see you are considering a Rolex day date. I wear my rolex day date a lot. Firstly the president bracelet is excellent at hiding scratches. In regards to the case, I have banged it a few times by accident and no major marks or dings. I think if you lead relaxed lifestyle gold holds up fine. I have had no issue with the PCL's on my TT blue sub either. So its a little softer but just fine for a daily IMO. Now if you are going rock climbing, shooting the rapids of the grand canyon, or playing beach volleyball YMMV. My day date handles casual extremely well though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Can't give a simple answer, as the exact composition matters. Even within the same karat grade, the composition has scope for variation. 4N rose gold is 75% gold, 16 copper, 9 silver; 5N red gold is 75-20.5-4.5. Yellow golds can vary.

As has been noted, increase the copper content and generally, the hardness should go up. It'll also slide in color to the red scale, so the more yellow, the less copper, and by and large the softer. You can also work-harden the gold, but I'm not sure that's practical for a watch case.

It shouldn't be the case that you're gonna be putting a big, really visible mark on a watch case, unless it slips out of your hand. Which can certainly happen. But figure...anything that might be scratching the case or bezel is something you're not exactly gonna want smacking your wrist. That said...slight dings, scuffs, and scratches will develop over time. If you're the particularly OCD type with regard to that, then...you probably don't want to go gold.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's not putty, so you are unlikely to get indentations unless you really bang it!

Of course it will scratch, as does stainless steel, but people have been wearing gold rings for years and they get a lot more battering than a watch will. They still look fine after all the abuse they get, so I think that you can rest easy with your watch.

Small scratches do buff out quite easy if you need them to.
Thanks for the note, I think that context always helps! I'm not concerned about scratches as those are inevitable, but dents would just give me complete anxiety over bumping anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gold is a lot softer than steel, and thus will mark easier.

The real issue is that when refinishing the watch you tend to lose the original lines a lot easier than with harder metals, thus the watch tends to look smoother.

Check out gold cased Rolex for sale on Watchfinder, the refinished cases look different, and not in a good way.

I would say IMO it is not suitable for a daily wearer if you are active.
That's something I hadn't considered before, thank you for the tip. I'll have to find examples of repolished vs non.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
It’s especially noticeable on gold Rolex clasps, where the Crown just ends up looking like a lump.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have an APRO 15400 with the steel that attracts scratches like buggery. I have a Grande Reverso in steel that is so soft that it also picks up scratches easily.

I just wonder how much scratch prone a yellow gold Day Date is compared to these 2 watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have an APRO 15400 with the steel that attracts scratches like buggery. I have a Grande Reverso in steel that is so soft that it also picks up scratches easily.

I just wonder how much scratch prone a yellow gold Day Date is compared to these 2 watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe Rolex President Watch will take less scratches than a steel Reverso for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts