WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To sell completely overpolished watches. Not a lil polished, not mediocrely polished with the finish gone, but I'm talking completely blobbified lugs that look about as good a finish as my butter knife but with even less sharp edges. I'm talking lugs reduced to 1/2 their original size, that have seen more weathering than the pyramids of Giza. Not to offend any dealers, as many are reputable and of course if someones gonna buy, then there's money to be made, but who the heck is actually buying these blobs???

·
Premium Member
Rolex 116618LN, Rolex MG, Rolex DSSD, Rolex SD43, PAM176, PAM1305, Omega PloProf, SeaMaster300,
730 Posts
I think many people have no concept of polishing but would buy anything.

Reactions: S.D.A.B.

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
You may be able to spot an over polished watch at 20 paces but a lot of potential buyers wouldn’t be able to tell if it hit them in the face.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Agreed with previous comments. Have seen 10-15 year old watches that are listed in "mint" or "like new" condition, and I think maybe the previous owner didn't wear it at all... then I look a the pictures and realize oh... that's why.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,331 Posts
You may be able to spot an over polished watch at 20 paces but a lot of potential buyers wouldn’t be able to tell if it hit them in the face.
Indeed. And many buyers are quite happy with a polished case that has no ugly scratches or scuffs. Why agonize over the choices of other watch owners when there are so many unpolished watches to enjoy?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agonize?!? I'm very at peace with this. I'm always very calm when I break the overpolished watch with a hammer and wait at least till its off it's owners wrist ��

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been to dealers where they didn't know what watch I was talking about even after I gave them the reference and name. So I think it's safe to say that some dealers are watch dealers but not collectors themselves. Particularly cause a lot of places do both jewelry and watches. Not to say that's most dealers as I'd like to think most are into watches too but some just don't care enough.

·
Premium Member
5,348 Posts
Unless you have experience comparing the blobs against unpolished examples, it can be hard to tell. I'm guessing a lot of non-WIS folks just think "oh, pretty!" and that's good enough for them - and that's perfectly fine. If you tried to explain unpolished cases they would look at you like you were growing a second head.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
To sell completely overpolished watches. Not a lil polished, not mediocrely polished with the finish gone, but I'm talking completely blobbified lugs that look about as good a finish as my butter knife but with even less sharp edges. I'm talking lugs reduced to 1/2 their original size, that have seen more weathering than the pyramids of Giza. Not to offend any dealers, as many are reputable and of course if someones gonna buy, then there's money to be made, but who the heck is actually buying these blobs???
It's customary for many dealers to run their stock through a bandsaw before sale, being the only way you can remove half a lug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have any good before/after example pics? I'd like to think I could spot a polish job, but there are times when I second guess myself. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts