WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I recognize LACO as a watch brand with tradition and numerous inovation. Langendorf Watch Co is one of the biggest manufacture at that time (they said), produced a very great Lanco Alarm, comparison is on par with vulcain cricket.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Micro brand or not - Laco is one of the Big 5 (producing the original Big Pilot watch) with a great tradition and beautiful watches. That's what counts in my eyes.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Yup. Great watches and a brand with lots of heritage, so I don’t see why being a microbrand is anything negative at all. But it is a microbrand.

The positive side is if you buy a Laco, you are almost guaranteed to never have the same watch as someone else in the room.

·
Moderator at Large
53,216 Posts
I recognize LACO as a watch brand with tradition and numerous inovation. Langendorf Watch Co is one of the biggest manufacture at that time (they said), produced a very great Lanco Alarm, comparison is on par with vulcain cricket.
There‘s some homework to do I am afraid.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I also don't think Laco is a micro brand. For me, "micro brands" are small, new watch companies with little to no history. Laco is anything but that. But looks like i understand the name "Micro brand" differently.

Reactions: higginsd

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also don't think Laco is a micro brand. For me, "micro brands" are small, new watch companies with little to no history. Laco is anything but that. But looks like i understand the name "Micro brand" differently.
Why would micro, a unit of quantity (a thousandth of), denominate age of anything?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
This is Chris Vail’s (owner of NTH Watches) definition of a micro-brand, for what it’s worth:

Microbrands are brands that meet *MOST* of these criteria:

+ A solo practitioner, or a company with a very small number of employees.
+ Typically outsources most production of parts and assembly.
+ Typically produces a very small number of models each year (2 or 3, tops), and typically in smaller volumes (300-500 pieces per production run, sometimes fewer).
+ Typically using movements which are not produced "in-house" (something which usually requires tremendous resources).
+ Typically selling exclusively online, and primarily through their own website.
+ The brand owner is generally accessible to customers, by way of contacting them through the brand's website, or often, through their presence on social media.

Whether you agree with above or not is moot. Laco is an established brand with a rich history and continues to put out excellent products. They also appear to be very customer-focused and their postings here on WUS are always polite, professional, and helpful. It’s a company that I know I want to support with my patronage and indeed I have, owning three Laco watches over the years and I’m considering getting a fourth very soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Micros are new ventures through Kickstarter..they need funding to use very limited resources to produce a clock. Typically consists of design software to sketch out the case and the dial. They rely on third party makers to use CNC to convert design to reality. The micros contribution to develop an original design. So therefore Micros are namely design oriented endeavors similar to fashion house. Some design concepts work out well and some do not. Life expectancy of Micros can be short lived. They are transient for the moment balancing on very small production runs to satisfy 3rd part watch makers.

Micros are not watch makers.

LACO has a legacy albeit interrupted by harsh economic times and the TIMEX conquest. When rationality returned supported by investors, original production designs were reactivated enabling the FIRM to obtain secure footing. Small is not MICRO...small is carefully marshalling resources and concentrating on original core concepts. The LACO MUNSTER 42mm pilot watch with ETA 2824-2 movement combined with a price point that is very attractive is the gold standard...affordable, durable and time tested. If one desires a true pilot watch, the the first stop should be LACO. As an side, if you search preowned they are very to come by...Why....because the owners become a part of the legacy

·
Registered
128 Posts
A further follow-up on LACO legacy from quote by another

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter
r WUS member back in 2008

·
Premium Member
20,242 Posts
<snip>
Micros are new ventures through Kickstarter.... Life expectancy of Micros can be short lived....Micros are not watch makers.
::
Small is not MICRO...small is carefully marshalling resources and concentrating on original core concepts.
I think the OP stumbled on an article referencing Laco as a micro-brand which is what prompted this thread.

However, I want to point out that an established firm can be a micro brand if it fits the EU definition of a micro / small business, which is, staff numbers and turnover.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts