WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I want to have my new purchase appraised so that I can tack it onto my homeowners policy in the rare case that it's not on my wrist and something happens to it, I'd like to have it covered.

I purchased my watch from Jomashop, have no doubt in my mind that it's real but a lot of watch shops won't appraise it without AD documents...I understand why, they're not in the business of authenticating.

My question is: will an AD authenticate a watch if you did not buy it from them? Would I take it to one of their boutiques or Tourneau, etc?

I'd like some paperwork to ensure it's authentic for insurance purposes...I have no intention of selling or trading it.

I've read a thousand different answers and the best I saw has me waiting a few years and sending the watch into the manufacturer to have it serviced and with that comes documentation.

Has anyone else stumbled across this conundrum? How did you go about authenticating the watch?

Thank you much!

JB

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
never done something like that personally, but based on some of the sellers here who are wiling to meet a buyer at an AD to authenticate, I'm sure it's possible

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
37,981 Posts
Pay a Jeweler to have it appraised. That will provide both authentication and a value for the insurance company.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
I have few watches insured. Basically paid a Jeweler to do the insurance appraisal. He had to inspect and photograph the watches, as well as, documented model # and serial # for appraisal purposes. I also provided jeweler with original sales receipts. I think it was like $100-200 to appraise 2 watches and some of my wife's jewelry.

Although many jewelers can't authenticate the watch, they can still do appraisal based on model info and current market prices.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
Any good watch shop should be able to appraise the watch for insurance purposes. Are you ok with them opening the case back to authenticate it?

Authenticating the watch seems to indicate you feel the watch may be a knockoff. If you are that concerned you may want to return it to Jomashop and find a dealer that will provide all the paperwork.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
I needed to have a watch appraised for my insurance company since I purchased it preowned and didn't have the original receipt. I took it to a jeweler who appraised if for $50. He didn't really care about anything. In fact, he asked me how much it was new. He put the top dollar price on the appraisal, went online to put a description of the watch, and that gave me an official appraisal for my insurance company. Funny, because my insurance company wouldn't accept an online appraisal because they didn't see the watch in person, and the online appraisal valued the watch at its preowned value, which was about $600 less than actual replacement value. They would have been better off taking my first appraisal from the online company.

Hi All-

I want to have my new purchase appraised so that I can tack it onto my homeowners policy in the rare case that it's not on my wrist and something happens to it, I'd like to have it covered.

I purchased my watch from Jomashop, have no doubt in my mind that it's real but a lot of watch shops won't appraise it without AD documents...I understand why, they're not in the business of authenticating.

My question is: will an AD authenticate a watch if you did not buy it from them? Would I take it to one of their boutiques or Tourneau, etc?

I'd like some paperwork to ensure it's authentic for insurance purposes...I have no intention of selling or trading it.

I've read a thousand different answers and the best I saw has me waiting a few years and sending the watch into the manufacturer to have it serviced and with that comes documentation.

Has anyone else stumbled across this conundrum? How did you go about authenticating the watch?

Thank you much!

JB

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would also check with your insurance company if there are any additional conditions for the appraisal.

For example, when I got an insurance policy from jewelers mutual they wanted an appraisal from either the store I purchased the watch from or a certified appraiser, not just any random jewelry shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any good watch shop should be able to appraise the watch for insurance purposes. Are you ok with them opening the case back to authenticate it?

Authenticating the watch seems to indicate you feel the watch may be a knockoff. If you are that concerned you may want to return it to Jomashop and find a dealer that will provide all the paperwork.
Hi John,

I know the watch is authentic but I'm not considered a "reliable appraisal" by my insurance company, go figure. What I need is a third party to be able to appraise and authenticate it so that my insurance company will be able to cover it. The few jewelers I've spoken to aren't able to authenticate it and in turn, can't appraise it unless I have AD paperwork.

I am under the impression that anywhere who sells Panerai will be able to do this for me, is that correct? a Tourneau, perhaps? Or wait until I'm back in SD and a Panerai boutique?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts