WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I
I am intrigued by the bellmatic and also the weekedater.
Pesky vintage seikos there are too many nice looking ones about. :)
Weekedater ! I had never seen that model before you referred to it. I think its right to refer to it as a dress watch . Some of the pics with the day and date at 3pm and 6pm are pretty cool.

And the best thing about vintage seiko is that its affordable to a "blue" or "white" collar guy .

Richard

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would like you to imagine a scenario . Your May 1975 pogue was owned by a dashing special services operative who in 1976 was into racing Yacuza gangsters up Mount Fuji in an e type jag.

On the final race neck and neck on the final 50m the Jag finds a horsepower of extra torque and finishes first but not before the tretcheros gangster has slammed him into tree.

snip

It's yours now. Wear it . If you don't wear it its pointless so sell it and someone else will wear or not.

Richard
If i sell it on ebay i will include that story to bump up the price ;)

thanks for the amusement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've been a longtime fan of the 6139 since dad gave me his beautiful blue 6139-6012 when I was a little kid (I've since lost it and am in the process of tearing apart everything I own to try and get it back). I'm looking at buying a couple of these now just because I absolutely love them. There are a couple for sale now and I'd love an expert opinion on it.
Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery
First the above watch (same as Dad's but gold)
And below another one I like. My question is simply, do they look "right" to you? I've seen the gold one, but it was ALL gold, not silver with gold buttons.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dear Dr Pete,

I am no expert. My previous ( very few as I am very new to this forum ) simply set out the process I used to choose and buy my watch.

So using that process the first watch you are looking at silver case gold pushers does not look like anything in the Seiko catalogues at the beginning of this thread. So you have to assume its been modified or contains bits from other similar watches.

If aesthetically it floats your boat.....up to you.

The Second. Well according to the process ( from one picture ) the case from a top view has sharp lines so has not been filed/polished/messed with. Are the pics from other angles the same ? If so its a lovely sharp case it will look sharp on your wrist. The subdial markers are chunky not anemic. The red hands are red and the small one tear shaped. I can't really comment on the lume. Provenace? A teenager in the Filipeens or a retired baptist minister ( and on the internet can you really tell ) .

For me the newly discovered joy of vintage seiko is that if I get it badly wrong I have wasted 2/3/400 ( never more except ) USD GBP EURO. So far in my three ( 3 ) yes three only purchases of vintage seiko I am happy with my purchases. I will always listen and respect someone who knows more than me but thus far the method which I went through in an earlier post which is research research and more research then compare that with the characteristics of my potential purchase works for me.

ps sometimes things are so shiny and nice ( a blue "pogue" with a white inner dial which means it should be much earlier than 1975 that the case says ) fail all the tests and I want it anyway .

Happy days

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I missed the Gold one but I still have a chance at getting the Pogue. I was just concerned because it only says "Automatic" not "Chronograph Automatic) on the face.
Peter

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
How does this watch look:

From my research, everything seems to be original. The one concern is the hand on the subdial. Does the color difference indicate a replacement hand, or is it possible the hand has just faded in color?

·
Registered
698 Posts
cant see it fading on its own with the central big seconds hand not doing so.

One of them is after market.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Here are some pics of a 1969 Pogue I just acquired. It's a JDM and all original so a great barometer to measure against if you are looking to buy one.
50th anniversary next year!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Yellow Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Strap Fashion accessory

Material property Fashion accessory Watch Strap Metal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Is there anyone in this forum that knows if this is an original Seiko Pogue 6139 6002. Bought it for 10 years ago on ebay and almost forgot about it until I found it in my safe the other day... How do you see if a Seiko Pogue is original?

Thanks for your help guys! :)

Fashion accessory Material property Strap Leather Beige

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
698 Posts
The sub dial second hand looks straight and should be tear drop shaped.
Dial looks like a replacement as there is no factory marker.

I am no expert btw so there maybe more signs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The sub dial second hand looks straight and should be tear drop shaped.
Dial looks like a replacement as there is no factory marker.

I am no expert btw so there maybe more signs.

Thanks a lot for your answer trott3r! :)

So it might be a frankenstein watch or just a replica. The interesting thing for me is if there is anything that is original so that I can sell it as parts.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is an original 6139 dial?
It doesn't look new as it has some corrosion but there is some "spacing in the sub-seconds markers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi guys,
It doesn't look new as it has some corrosion but there is some "spacing in the sub-seconds markers.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm no expert here, but just by comparing the positioning of the dial code, your dial looks similar to some aftermarket dials on eBay.

Hi guys,
View attachment 13621151

61 - 80 of 90 Posts