WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
It is from May of 1977. Great piece that deserves a service and keeping it away from dives. And consider putting the strap in a polythene baggie for preservation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's amazing that the rubber strap hasn't deteriorated or disintegrated! Nevertheless it's a legend, a statement piece! Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 1978 6309 on Uncle Seiko Waffle. Great cosmetic shape looks to be all original from what I can tell although looking with a jewlers Loupe seems the hand lume is more white than the markers which have more of a yellowish patina. Not uncommon from the images I have seen on the net but who knows. Purchased from a gentleman that said he recently bought it from someone that initially purchased it at Sears. Came with original vented strap. Never serviced looks to run about a minute fast per day so may take it to my watch guy and get new seals and pressure tested although I don’t play to dive or swim with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Anyone have any thoughts on this dial? the green-ness of the markers and the size of the suwa are the main things I was looking at. Just wanted a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
579 Posts
View attachment 15155965

Anyone have any thoughts on this dial? the green-ness of the markers and the size of the suwa are the main things I was looking at. Just wanted a second opinion before I pull the trigger.
Those are all aftermarket parts from dial and hands and bezel insert
Read the beginning of the 6309 buying guide and you will see easily
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
Those are all aftermarket parts from dial and hands and bezel insert
Read the beginning of the 6309 buying guide and you will see easily
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Thank you for the info.

I did actually read the OP from the beginning. Is the green lume (versus white) a tip off? Trying to learn here - what are the key points that make it aftermarket? Thank you!

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Green lume, no bevel at day/date, font of 10. Hands are trickier... Need a magnifier for second hand pivot (am are bad here). Maybe there are other points to mention

Envoyé de mon Mi A2 Lite en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thank you for the info.

I did actually read the OP from the beginning. Is the green lume (versus white) a tip off? Trying to learn here - what are the key points that make it aftermarket? Thank you!
Well the 704lt dial should have a proper bevel in the date and day window
The writing is wrong font and overall dial and bezel insert are easily aftermarket and not even close looking ones
The hands should be completely flat and straight cut edges
Aftermarket ones usually have rounded or uneven edges
And very uncommon to see green lume and especially lume that glows
These are just a few things I seen quickly
Better to Read and re-read this guide
Then these common things will stick out and you will know these subtle hints and it will make it easier for you to spot the fake stuff too
We all have learned the hard way
Better to but the right one
Trust me it takes a very long time and expense to find correct hands and dial and bezel insert when you get the wrong one
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey guys.

I've had my 6309-729A for about ten years now I think... I wear my speed master and sub most of the time so it doesn't see much action but it's a solid #3 in my rotation. I only paid 120 for it, which seems like it was a good deal, has always kept perfect time but the bezel doesn't rotate.

Anyway, the point of my post is to ask when it was made. The serial number is 7D2256. Not seeing a lot of references here to alpha numeric serial numbers so a little confused.

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
BEWARE THE FAKE DIALS !!!!! see photos of legit dial bellow ....

PHOTOS of Seiko 6309 (Slim Turtle) with LEGIT DIAL ...
pay attention to the TINY .... SUWA LOGO ... IT SHOULD NOT BE BIGGER IN PROPORTION to THE TEXT it is printed with ... some fake dials have also been artificially aged to try and sell it as Legit

images borrowed from cyberspace

121 - 137 of 137 Posts