WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again. Time for WIS men to ask, "I'd like to buy a watch that pleases me, as a gift for my girlfriend/wife." Here's some advice from a lady WIS.

Size:

She may not consider it now, particularly if she doesn't wear watches regularly or has never worn a large watch, but thickness is everything, particularly in colder weather. A watch that competes with the cuff of her winter coat, or windbreaker, or gloves, will be uncomfortable. If she's not a watch enthusiast already, she may not tolerate that. If she wears long-sleeve knit sweaters, note how they cling to her arm. They're probably tighter than yours. Will a large watch work well with her sweaters? How about a long sleeve blouse? Same problem. Her cuffs are probably smaller than yours. A watch had better fit under there, and I don't mean, "it can be made to go under there." I mean, "it slides under there by itself."

For a woman, particularly in colder weather, a large watch is a casual watch. It can't really be worn with long sleeve anything. Her knit sleeves may be a little short, or she may pull them up a bit, but a large watch doesn't work with that look, either.

Quartz vs Automatic:

Yeah, you'd like to buy an automatic. Remember, though, that quartz watches tend to be thinner (see above, re size). Also, she'll probably not wear the same watch every day, even if you're buying her her first watch. Will she want to set an automatic every time she wears it, or will that discourage her from wearing it?

On buying her a men's watch:

She said she liked one of your watches. She may have even checked it out on her own wrist. That doesn't mean she'd wear it. You may have to ask her outright if she'd like one.

If she's borrowed one of your watches, repeatedly, then you're probably safe buying her one a lot like it.

Tomboys and hotties can pull off a men's watch better than everyone else.

Even if you think it's not a casual watch, she'll probably consider a men's watch a casual watch. A men's dress watch may be awkward, unless it's small and vintage or vintage-styled (no bezel).

The bracelets on men's watches are very masculine. Leather may be better. Tapered is more feminine than non-tapered. Not notched is more feminine than notched.

In fashion watches, a men's style in a large-ish woman's size is called a boyfriend style. Most of them aren't overtly masculine. They often have some feminine detail. These may be a better choice than a men's watch.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
How to buy your girlfriend/wife a watch: Take her watch-shopping.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
That you are actually going shopping with her. LOL Leave it as an "IOU one couples watch shopping trip at the time of your choosing" in a watch box under the tree.
Now you gotta translate for me. You lost me with IOU...

I've worn an SNK809 to job interviews, just saying...

but then I tend to be little "out there" too. I'm feminine but not really in a traditional sense. Sometimes there's engine grease in the scratches of my nail polish.
That damn engine grease getting everywhere. Why can't it just stay where it's supposed to?

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind: Make sure your girlfriend/wife actually wants to wear a watch.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
There's only one problem with this plan. Where's the surprise?
Seing as how there are good surprises and bad ones, most people might prefer not to be surprised. The element of surprise is perhaps more important to the giver? Then, for a surprise, buy something extra. Depending on your circumstances this could vary from chocolate over one-size apparel (a nice scarf, perhaps?) to diamonds of your choice. ;-)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Seing as how there are good surprises and bad ones, most people might prefer not to be surprised. The element of surprise is perhaps more important to the giver? Then, for a surprise, buy something extra. Depending on your circumstances this could vary from chocolate over one-size apparel (a nice scarf, perhaps?) to diamonds of your choice. ;-)
Also true. It also depends of the price of the gift. It's different giving someone something worth over 1000 dollars vs. something worth 50 dollars. 50 dollars is the kind of gift you can use to surprise people. For more expensive items it's definitely worth having some kind of conversation even if it kills the surprise.

One of the better ways is to try to figure out a good gift questions, which seem to have nothing to do an actual gift. I've done this before and the results was pretty good.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah that's another thing. I've gotten kind of user to just going along to shop for my presents. I don't like the pressure of having to react properly and I don't like pressuring people to please me. So unless you know my list consists of an SNN231 and a Vostok radio room, I'd prefer a gift that isn't tied to a ridiculous nitpicky hobby obsession

Sent From A Basement On The Hill

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Life has taught me time and time again, sadly late, not to buy anything wearable for my girl be it clothes, shoes, bags or jewelery. End of conundrum.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Life has taught me time and time again, sadly late, not to buy anything wearable for my girl be it clothes, shoes, bags or jewelery. End of conundrum.
Ah, well, then you know what not to do. Now for what to do! ;-)

Reactions: jackrobinson

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Step number one accomplished. You're way ahead most guys. They haven't been able to eliminate anything at all. Keep eliminating things and you'll eventually find something great.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
For the wife, she could care less if it is an auto or quartz; however, I have learned the surprise is taking her shopping or on the internet is the best. To risky to purchase without her buy in.

As for the girlfriend, simple don't have one!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts