WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post! I have been reading many threads at this forum, I've also poured over magazines looking trying to learn more about watches and trying to find a style I like. No longer do I think Breuget Hands is a disease and 7750 isn't just a random number any more! The hook sinks deeper ever day...

I have a budget of ~$5k AUS (~$4k US), I like round, steel watches, with classic styling. Retrograde and / or regulators would be nice but these seem to be outside my budget. Date optional. I have a short listed some watches (Cuervo y Sobrinos, Ball, Azimuth and few others).

Here's my problem. Living in Perth (Western) Australia I'm well removed from many AD who might be able to show me any of these models. Closest place seems to be Singapore and even then they don't have a particular model I want. What is even more odd, according to some brands web sites', they have dealers in many central asian countries yet none in Australia.

So how do I buy my first watch? I can go to various AD web sites in the US and Europe, but aside from authentic warranty, how different are they in terms of the purchase exerience to non-AD sites which offer similar warranty but at much cheaper cost? I'd prefer to use a (local) AD, even if I have to fly to Sydney or Melbourne. But flying International so I can handle a watch and try it on?

How do I buy my first watch? What have others done in these cirumstances?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Do u wanna spend so much on your 1st watch? As u know,there are soooo many different kinds n designs. How sure are you about your preference to spend 4k? If u are certain,i suggest walking into a store to try them out n learn more about the watches that catch your fancy. Online may be much cheaper but the only info u'll get are the basic specs of the watch. If u wanna toy around with some affordables b4 plunging into a serious piece,buying online from reputable sites will give u the convenience n a price hard to beat. They may not come with official warranty but they issue their own warranty n honour it.

I didn't do much homework when i bought my 1st serious watch. Though i don't regret it,i only realised later that with that money,there were many other options i didn't consider. I hope u enjoy the hunt as u look for your watch n welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I would recommend spending less than $1000 USD (I guess that's about $1200 AUD) on your first 2 or 3 watches. Owning a few watches will help you determine what you really like. There are many things that you will not even consider about a particular watch until it has been on your wrist for a while.

For now, stick with whichever style appeals to you. But if you really want to spend more than $1000, and since you like regulateurs, these are a great value for the money (and the AD is in Brisbane, Australia):

http://www.friendsoforis.com/store/home.php?cat=249&sort=title&sort_direction=0&page=3

Check out their video reviews for more info on the Diver range. And tell Smithy that Derek says, "G'day mate!"

D

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I'm in the UK where you can't get diddly except low end from a high street jeweller and high end from ADs. So, I bought my first 'proper' watch from Singapore with no problems - Seiko SKX007. Seller had excellent prices, comms was great and offered fast shipping options (which added to the cost). There must be thousands who have had the same experience. The seller was not an AD. Sellers who aren't ADs but offer new watches, often with their own warranty, are known as grey dealers. Their is no difference in what you get from a grey dealer and what you get from an AD - apart from a manufacturer's warranty and, more importantly, cheaper prices. If the manufacturer's warranty is important to you then it looks like you'll need to book yourself a trip to Sydney...

The key is to do your own homework which means a lot of web surfing and forum reading. Take your time and decide exactly what you want and how much you want to spend. I wouldn't spend more than a quarter of your budget for a first watch. Why? Because your knowledge will expand and your tastes with it. You'll want another within six weeks. Guaranteed. Don't believe me? Ask any of the guys on here how many watches they bought in the first year - and how many they now have... :-d

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Good luck - and don't be afraid to ask questions!

·
Registered
77 Posts
pictures are good but do not give you the 3D image to form a good visualization of the watch. Check for pics on this forum, because owner pics usually do a watch more justice than manufacture pics. Also, check out youtube. Some of the owners take detailed videos, explaining functions, and showing the watch on their wrist etc.
The way I purchased my newest watch, also living in a town without any AD's for the brands I like, was doing all my research online, and developed a list of possibilities. When I went to NYC, I tried them on and made my decision. I would be afraid to do all my research and then purchase a 4000 USD watch without ever seeing in the flesh. good luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
I disagree partially about limiting your budget on your first purchase. You'll always want more watches, if you're on this forum. Might as well make your first one count, you'll probably have it for a while, and it will ALWAYS BE your "first nice watch" (assuming you don't flip it, that's something I'm not into).

With that said, you can get a pretty damn slick Oris, Baume & Mercier, Omega, Tag, Bretling, etc. etc. for the budget you've set for yourself. Take some time with it, and most of all figure out what your "core" requirements are. I would consider the following a possible checklist:

• sapphire crystal
• exhibition back
• bracelet versus leather strap
• date, as well as day/month complications
• degree of water resistance
• chronometer accuracy rating
• chronograph or adjustable bezel for timekeeping
• color of dial, case, bezel
• printed numerals/markers versus applied
• guilloché or other aesthetic embellishments

Have fun with it, don't rush, and yes, be prepared for desiring more, even if you are in love with your first piece. There are simply sooooo many designs out there, many of which you'll find appealing, it will be hard to fulfill all of your watch desires in one piece. But, you may indeed be able to do that, so again, don't rush it. :-!

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
I'm with Nicky G - stay with your budget. So many collectors start with less expensive watches and then long to move up but take a bath on the resale. It would make sense to start with one nicer watch instead of several. It's tough making that kind of leap without trying them on though.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Actually i would start off a little cheaper until you can find "your thing" or style..Seriously, maybe you may find out that this watch collecting is not your thing.I am not saying buy something really cheap,just maybe mid-range.JMO.
Heck i was buying automatics at first,and found out they did not excite me at all,and the constant winding was not for me..Who knows,,,it's all trial and error..lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi P_R,

Singapore is a pretty good place to watch shop but there are a couple of other places within reach..

Malaysia: Star Hill has one of the highest concentration of lux watches per sqm bar Hong Kong.

Hong Kong: What can I say... its pretty much all here.

Flights aren't much more expensive then travelling to Syd/Meb these days.

You were pretty vague about which watches you were looking for, maybe post a few and some WUS can point you in teh right direction.

Myself, in Sydney I have purchased from local ADs, overseas ADs, online locally and overseas, and through the Sales Corners of the forums. Whatever works...

J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello and thank you for your responses and suggestions.

I guess what I wanted to know was, is there something obvious I was missing in looking for a watch? The watch is for my 40th (late Aug) and while we will be travelling to Europe in March (via HK or maybe Sing), I have to get something around now. Whatever I see in HK/Sing will just have to be my second watch :)

As for styles, in order to get a proper idea of what was available, I've been buying iW and WatchTime to look at as many (2D!) brands as I could. Alphabetical listing in iW has ~300 brands sites', so I looked up each one (I started in Jan!). After much red wine I have a list with little in common!:

• ML Masterpiece Squelette
• Curevo y Sobrono, Torpedo Pulsometro 3044.1c
• Gerald Genta (love the black Arena BiRetro, but $xx,xxx)
• Sothis Horus
• IWC Pilots watch spitfire
• Ball Moonlight Special
(and a Suunto when the wife is not looking as she hates it)

The above don't all quite match my budget either which means whatever is my first will be one of many. This has become an addiction even before I've purchased anything :)

Cheers.
(...oh and whatever I do buy I will post a pic)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
hello and welcome to WUS, you have been given a lot of excellent advice, however IMO the words of edmd echo my sentiments. i advise you to use the web to do your research, however it is my suggestion that you handle the watch before you make a purchase. knowing the size of a watch does not provide you with an accurate mesaure of it's scale as you will often hear how a watch of a given size will wear larger or smaller than a watch of an identical size. consider the configuration of the bracelet to the case in case you eventually wish to go from a bracelet to a strap (i think this is sometimes overlooked) and finally just take your time. remember it's your money, your watch, and your happiness. again welcome and good luck! oh yeah, most imortantly after you have made a purchase, don't forget to post lots of pretty pictures. ;-)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
These guys seem to be an AD with a fairly nice selection.

Watches of Switzerland Perth
38 King Street
Perth, 6000
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIA

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I've always purchased lower end type watches at first, mainly Fossil and other mall type watches. Like many, my interest and budget started getting higher and this sickness we all share started expanding. I purchased my first "real watch", an Omega Seamaster from an AD close to my house. A few months later, at the same AD, I purchased a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chrono.

The fun is in the hunt and the research IMO. You will find a lot of useful information and pictures on this website. The good/bad thing is though, we are a bunch of enablers and you will probably never see someone here tell you NOT to buy a watch, but rather which brands to consider and request pics. once you get said timepiece :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts