WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: Panicking Now ... Have Spring, Where Does It Go?

Yes, this is definitely a top-notch tutorial!

I need to change the batt in my newly acquired DW-8300-1V. It supposedly takes a CR-2016 (correct me if I'm misinformed plz).

Of course I can pick up a new Energizer brand 2016 at Walmart, as well as metal tweezers (beauty isle), but those plastic tweezers are the hard part. Of course you can order them online and pay more than product cost in shipping and wait all freaking week, but I'm not feeling that today.

I discovered that Hobby Lobby sells something called a "Petri Dish w/ Agar" kit, which includes 4 Petri dishes (fabulous little parts holders) and a pair of plastic tweezers.

The silicone grease is another issue. I discovered that I have some Traxxas Grease (R/C cars) which will do, but also you can go to your local Auto-parts store (or call first) and get "VersaChem Spark Plug Boot Grease" which is a silicone grease.

I'm only sharing this info because sometimes you just plain NEED IT TODAY!

Just some additional helpful hints.

1. Work on a clean and VERY well lit workbench/table.
2. Use whatever magnifying tools you might have.
3. Place small parts in some sort of container, using separate containers for each unique part(s).
a. Stick containers down to table, so they won't move.
b. Label containers. (a,b,c etc)
4. Keep a notepad & pen handy to record notes about where stuff goes & how it's oriented etc. Also record which container you put specific parts in.
5. Another idea is to video and/or audiotape entire process and verbally narrate every step for future reference in case you can't remember where or how something goes back together. Verbalize which containers you're putting certain parts in.

Remember, if you lose a screw, you're not only screwless, you're also screwed!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just brought my 7600 back to life with this guide. 20mins careful efforts, £5 for batteries and silicone grease against "Oh we send those away; usually takes a few months and about £36". Most appreciated.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Great tutorial, Sjors. You went to quite a lot of trouble with that drawing, which really gives you a good idea of how that battery clip works. I was expecting that taking out the battery would be fully intuitive, but I got stuck when faced with that clamp. Your diagram was perfect in showing me what to do.

Also, some people wondered about whether you need to do the AC shorting. On the inside of my Casio caseback, there's a small sticker saying you need to do this. It completely resets the date and time, and it'll also illuminate the back light momentarily.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hiya,

I know I'm kinda late to join this party... But this great tutorial/article helped me revive a very old favourite G-Shock of mine... I did not realise how easy it was to change out the batteries. However, after putting in fresh batts, nothing happened and I thought my watch was done for... After much pondering, I did that AC-connect-to-Batt thingy and TAADAAHHHH... it came right back!!! Thanks a bunch!!! :-!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all,

This is my first post here although I have been doing a lot of reading. Three years ago, I bought a DW-6900 on sale for CDN $29.99. Although I wanted something more like the DW-5600 (just ordered one on eBay yesterday), it was at a price I could not resist and over the years, I learned to really like this watch. Soon after I got the watch, I ordered a gasket and a strap for when I would need them. From where I am, the I have to order them from Casio Canada.

Yesterday, I changed the battery myself, and replaced the old gasket with the one I had (after having applied some silicone grease on it). So, my question is, should I get it pressure tested? The reason why I am asking this question is I observed the following:

I have put the watch in a bowl of water. At first I notice some bubbles coming to the surface. That was a few hours ago, but the watch is still working. I wonder if the bubbles are the result of the air escaping from the bezel. I also wonder if Sears do pressure testing.

Thank you in advance for your input.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I think you have nothing to worry about. It sounds as though you did a good job, so the watch will almost certainly be waterproof to 100m, and probably to the original spec of 200m.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you have nothing to worry about. It sounds as though you did a good job, so the watch will almost certainly be waterproof to 100m, and probably to the original spec of 200m.
Thank you. I think I have done a job indeed. Since I suspected the empty space of the bezel to the source of the air, and hence the bubbles, I pulled it out and put the watch in water. Result: no bubble.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am having a bit of a time with a used DW-5600E that I got recently. I have changed batteries on G-Shocks about a dozen times before and never had a problem like this. When I insert the new battery, the EL comes on and stays on. The digits show and all the functions work other than the light. First, I removed the module from the case. I have tried resetting the watch numerous times and taking the battery out before trying the whole thing again after a day-these are the only ideas I have found after googling my problem. Am I missing something, or is this module now good for nothing more than draining batteries in a day?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I use this face protector (from DW-003S) on a GW-6900 ?
The face protector from DW-003S is stainles steel or not ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well i'm totally kicking myself. Sounds like i threw away a perfectly good protrek having spent out on a new battery because of not finding this very useful thread. Still, in finding WUS whilst researching it's replacement i guess i didnt do too bad. The watch had, after all, given about a decade of service. Would have been nice to know about the reset thought.

I dont know if it helps any one but for the sake of saying, a good source for the silicon grease would be any dive store/website. If lubing the o'ring's at all like Scuba, the trick seems to be to only use enough to moisten the surface of the rubber, not to over use. Additionally, one would always check the surfaces are clean and clear of grit and particularly hairs that will interfere with the seal. Sounds obvious perhaps, but a very necessary step in a 3000psi system or a several thousand dollar camera/case system.

Thanks Sjors!

Dan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: How to change a battery on a G-Shock - alarm function after battery replacement

I'm a noob, I've heard that opening the caseback will void the water resistant. Is it true?
I was also afraid of opening my DW-5600E because of breaking water resistance..but, when I am thinking about it..many watchmakers can do the job much worse than you..my experiences with my local watchmaker says that I absolutly can not trust his work, more than once I had to disassemble and reassemble the watch which were repaired by him, because he did something wrong (some button did not work properly, module was not placed 100% good or something). How can I trust him in changing battery in water resistant watch after these experiences? With this tutorial, I was able to change battery almost for sure better than him, because it is my watch and I gave the job much more effort to do it really good than him and probably many watchmakers woud. For my needs, the watch will be waterproof enough even without testing - swimming in a pool or sea, no diving..and now I have a good feeling that I did it in 30 minutes on my own just for the price of a battery.

Do not be afraid, it is not a problem at all.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Re: How to change a battery on a G-Shock - alarm function after battery replacement

A good condition gasket, even if it's dry enough to fall out of place, can be fine enough for most purposes. If you do like to take your watch swimming, I highly recommend getting a silicone grease to lightly coat it and help ensure water tightness.

In any case, learning how to change your battery is a terrific thing to do and not very hard at all, as Chilliluk just testified. The key is to be gentle and methodical. One of the worst things you can do is strip the screw threads inside the hard resin case. I always make sure the case back is properly aligned and gently guide in the screws, turning counter clockwise first to find the proper seating, then clockwise to secure. I also stop a few turns before going all the way, until each screw is in place, then go through a tightening round. Also, make sure not to over-tighten.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help Needed
I replaced the battery of my girlfriends casio BabyG (bfg-130) and after that the watch displays open in the display. when i reset the watch there is a day indicator for about 1 sec and then the word open reappears. The watch becomes unresponsive to the buttons. Is there a intrusion detection of some kind that needs te be reset.

IMAG0705.jpg

thanx in advance for your help

Peter

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have dw-8300, i tried change battery but after 24 hours, it die... then i tested the battery, it empty... so i buy new one and tried replace it back, same thing happen.... did i need to reset the module? can you show me how to do it? sorry if my english is bad.... thanks sjors

G

·
hi,
i have a casio prt 40, no matter how many time i reset it,it just wont stop blinking.i have checked double time tht i am following the correct procedure for resetting it.please help!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am ready to install a new batt in one of my DW5600E for its first time in almost 8 years! But there are signs of some slight battery leak on the metal surface where the batt is cradled on its side. I was able to carefully scrape only some of it off with a plastic toothpick. I was thinking of applying some alcohol or lighter fluid with a cotton swab to help the process. Is this a solution or not a good idea?

·
Registered
436 Posts
What would you experts recommend using to clean up some signs of batt leakage around the metal sides where the batt sits? Alcohol, lighter fluid? I' ve done some careful scraping with a plastic toothpick. But there is still enough residue for concern.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts