WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this little G-Lide with a dead battery in one of my boxes. Time for a new battery. Although most G-Shock's are about the same, this one has a screwback, so maybe it's a bit different inside...

First I undo the watch from it's watchbands, to get free acces to it back plate using a springbar tool.

You need a screwback tool to unscrew the backplate. Remember there are often loose springs in the module. Note there is no visable spring in this model. After removing a back plate of a G-Shock (or other Casio watch), never turn the watch or module around, until the case is closed again!!!
Note there is no visable spring in this model.

It has a special plastic cover. You don't see them often in G-Shock's

Good thing to remember...

This rubber plate is a back shock absorber. Carefully remove the rubber protector.

Once removed we see the battery hold in the case with a special clasp. At one end there is a smal lip where you can put your sharp point tweeezers behind (a needle will work too).

Put the sharp point tweezer there and it pops off.

There it is...

Now you can remove the old battery with plastic tweezers.

And place in exactly the same model battery back in the case.

Put back the clasp in position.

Empty batteries need to be collected as chemical waste.

Remember the sticker on the plastic protection cap on the back? Prefore a Reset operation by hotwiring the AC contact with the back of the battery. Hold the tweezers for at least two seconds in place.

Use a little bit of silicon based lubricant to grease the seal in, to keep it flexible and water resist.

Put back the back shock absorber in place

and the plastic protection, now you can screw the back on.

Try all functions, specially the alarm sounds and EL light.

And find a reference timepiece to get the time adjusted right.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very nice, thanks! But I'm confused about the 'contact Ac with battery' part. How do we know where's the AC?

(What's AC anyway?)

sorry, new guy here

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Very nice, thanks! But I'm confused about the 'contact Ac with battery' part. How do we know where's the AC?

(What's AC anyway?)
It's marked "AC". You have to make a circuit from there to the battery for about 3 seconds to reset the watch. This is important, as I found out. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The AC operation is essential. I thought mine had died until I shorted the AC contact to +ve on the battery :roll:
Mind you, the AC contact had no marking to show that it's the AC contact.
This thread helped me immensely.:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi, thanks for the guide. I realise that I never had to test the alarm after a battery change because whenever I pressed a button there will be a 'beep' sound which actually indicates the sound is working.

My question is, is there any way to mute this beep sound as it can be inconvenient in some situations (eg. movies, meeting, etc). Maybe from a combination of buttons pressed?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi, thanks for the guide. I realise that I never had to test the alarm after a battery change because whenever I pressed a button there will be a 'beep' sound which actually indicates the sound is working.

My question is, is there any way to mute this beep sound as it can be inconvenient in some situations (eg. movies, meeting, etc). Maybe from a combination of buttons pressed?
Which G do you have, because some can, some can't

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh, I thought there was some sort of a universal combination for me to try out. Hmmm. I've just acquired a 2nd-hand Baby-G BG-340, do you think it's possible on that?

I've been reading the forums and I think it's possible for those models with vibration alarms, but this one is pretty old and without vibra-alarm.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine don't have vibration alarms, and the sounds can be turned off, maybe i just got lucky when choosing. I believe your watch has the 1559 module. It should say so on the back. If so, the manual can be found HERE, and I don't believe it mentions being able to mute the sound.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You're right! It does hold the module 1559. Thanks for link to the manual. I'll accept it for what it is.

This is a great forum. Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi!

I have another question, how much torque should we give it when tightening screwbacks?

Edit: By the way, I've did some searching and read on posts that says tighten a quarter-circle after feeling resistance, or some other approximations. What I really mean to find out is whether there are industry standards or official figures which I can refer to. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a pathfinder that needs it's battery replaced. Would you know if this is something I can do by myself, and if so, any special tools, or just tweezers and jewlers screwdriver? Thanks.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
AC stands for Alternating Current. There are at least four general types of current:

D
I thought it would stand for alternating current, too. But on second thought, why would it? I mean the watch works exclusively on DC, no? The battery is DC. I think the All Clear makes more sense in this case.

Can anyone explain that to me?

Till

1 - 15 of 15 Posts