WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the basic things that needs to be done when a watch goes in for a significant service is to replace the pushers. Usually dirt will accumulate around the tube and eventually will work its way into the tube. This will disturb the operation of the pusher and over time compromise the tube gaskets. One style of pushers which is used on many Omegas is comprised of a tube that screws into the watch, a screw that fits through the tube from the inside of the case, a spring that is situated in the tube and the actual pusher. There are also one or more small o-rings inside the tube. Here is an example from Ofrei.com

Replacing the tubes is pretty easy. First, the watch need to be taken apart and the movement removed. Next step is to use a screwdriver and unscrew the screw/pusher from the inside of the case. This should result in the pusher and screw coming out. Next step is to remove the case tube. You actually need a special tool for this.

This hand tool comes in a few sizes and fits right onto the case tube. Here I am replacing the pushers on my Speedmaster:

Once the tube is out make sure to clean everything before you put a new case tube back in. Its basically the reverse of the process for removal. The only thing different is to use some Loctite on the threads. Overall a simple operation.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Thanks for the DIY Joe, much appreciated. I've been contemplating this a while back since the pushers on my Speedys slightly sticky. It poses no problem but after the movements pressure pushes it out, I need to pull it out with my finger/nail to get it out all the way. It's really not a problem at all since I'm talking about less then .5 mm worth of travel but I figure it could use some cleaning. I think it's my OCD but nevertheless I love taking apart mechanical bits and getting it all clean:-d

Where exactly does the o-ring/gasket go? Come to think of it, which way does that screw face? Does the thread on the screw thread into the pusher button itself?:think: Thanks a lot for the pics;-)

-Chris

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris,
When the pushers stick then you probably need to clean the tube/pusher to get all the gunk out or replace them. The O-ring is in the tube and you don't have to deal with it. In the picture above - the little ring that you see is actually a washer which I forgot to mention. It goes in between the tube and the case. The thread on the screw screws into the pusher button itself.

Thanks for the DIY Joe, much appreciated. I've been contemplating this a while back since the pushers on my Speedys slightly sticky. It poses no problem but after the movements pressure pushes it out, I need to pull it out with my finger/nail to get it out all the way. It's really not a problem at all since I'm talking about less then .5 mm worth of travel but I figure it could use some cleaning. I think it's my OCD but nevertheless I love taking apart mechanical bits and getting it all clean:-d

Where exactly does the o-ring/gasket go? Come to think of it, which way does that screw face? Does the thread on the screw thread into the pusher button itself?:think: Thanks a lot for the pics;-)

-Chris

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
One more useful skill passed on!

Cheers Joe!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice instructional Joe :-!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not planning on doing any crown tube replacements soon. But different watches use different approaches, but I believe the most common approach is pressure fitting. Usually, special pliers and/or punches are used to replace these. I will see if I can find any pictures.

Thanks!

Any chance of a crown tube tutorial? (I'm admittedly not much of a chronograph guy.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am not planning on doing any crown tube replacements soon. But different watches use different approaches, but I believe the most common approach is pressure fitting. Usually, special pliers and/or punches are used to replace these. I will see if I can find any pictures.
Thanks! I'd always thought they were most commonly pressed in but your pusher tube replacement got me wondering if they might be threaded as well.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!
The strap is a Hirsch Carbon and pretty much the only strap I use on the Speedmaster. IMO, its a great look :-!

I dont know about you guys, but I sure feel that strap would look AWESOME on vintage Speedy :-! What is it?

And btw, thanks alot for the info, I allways wondered whats all that fuss about tubes with pushers etc.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Anyone know the size of the spline on the Speedmaster pushers?

I'm guessing the 3.65mm tool is the correct one to get but as I dont have the Speedmaster case apart I cant check

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just measured the spline and it says 3.7mm on my Chinese calipers. So I suppose it is indeed the 3.65 tool.

I too did not know the size, but when I bought the tool I knew it was the red one.

highly technical....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I just measured the spline and it says 3.7mm on my Chinese calipers. So I suppose it is indeed the 3.65 tool.

I too did not know the size, but when I bought the tool I knew it was the red one.

highly technical....
hahaha thanks

I see that Cousins have them so I'll order one when I order the pushers. Picked up an old Speedmaster case and it needs everything replaced :-(

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Its the screw in type so hopefully should be straight forward to fit once I get the tool for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts