WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So….I picked up a Rangeman two weeks ago. Love the functionality, but it’s big and the strap isn’t the most comfortable. Started looking around at different strap options and found a Jays&Kays video where they put one of their standard 16mm adapters onto a Rangeman. So that got me thinking….I wonder if a combi would fit? I’ve got a GW-B5600HR (which I modded to a positive display) with the black and red v2 combi sitting around I was either going to sell or gift to a friend, so today at lunch I ran home and started experimenting. After a quick test fit and eye ballin’ I got the belt sander out and got to work! What I ended up with is a Rangeman with the black and red combi on it! You do have to make permanent modifications to do the swap. You need to grind down the case lugs to allow the endlink holes to line up with the holes in the case. You also need to grind the lip off the endlinks for the same reason. FYI – you can test fit with the lip still in place by removing the caseback instead, they’re the same thickness. That’s what I did, I knew grinding the tips/corners off the lugs down a bit wouldn’t stop me from putting the stock straps back on, but grinding the lip off the endlink, well, no going back from that. You also need to notch the bezel a bit so it matches the new profile of the lugs, I didn’t get pics of that but if you try this you’ll figure it out. When grinding the lugs – go slow. Take a little off, test fit. Repeat as needed. Sloooowly, you can’t put anything back once you cut it off! Also, the screws that secure the Rangeman strap. They’re not a tight fit in the springbar hole in the endlinks. So, I slowly ground down the tips of the lugs until the endlink just barely fit far enough into the case that the screws would fit. That way the endlink is in there solid, it can’t rattle around any.

I’m super happy with this, the watch is much more comfortable now and fits my skinny(ish) wrist better, it just looks visible smaller and less bulky without the extra bit of strap flapping around. As you can see in the pics the bracelet hangs straight down off the lugs If your wrist is larger, you probably wouldn’t want this. FWIW my wrist is 6.75” in diameter. The combi isn’t quite the same width as the case, but it’s close enough for me, with all the angles and whatnot on this watch it doesn’t look out of place.

I don’t see why you couldn’t put any square strap on one with the same modifications.

So here's the watch with the stock strap and that free end sticking up.

Here it is now, nice and tidy.

Untouched lugs on the left, ground-down lugs on the right.

Modified bracelet end link on the left with the lip ground off, stock end link on the right.

Hangs straight down.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Finished result looks great!

Question for you though. Could you have modified the combi end links to fit without having to remove material from the lugs?

Even if the mods to the end links were visible when fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finished result looks great!

Question for you though. Could you have modified the combi end links to fit without having to remove material from the lugs?

Even if the mods to the end links were visible when fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think so...but it would be more difficult IMO, and may not look good. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to see the case (light grey) in a gap between the bezel and endlinks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts