WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any handy recommendations of how to deal with the glare and reflections coming from the crystal and shine surfaces.

I am sure I am overlooking the obvious!

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would start by buying a good polarizing filter for your lens. It will afford you some control over some

of the annoying reflections caused by shiny surfaces. If you are using an SLR, some experimentation will show some startling results.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
A circular polarizer is a big help. You can at least minimize them or place them where you want by adjusting it. Above that, I use a "reflector" ... which in my case is various colors of picture framing mat board. Most of the time black will saturate the dial color best, but on lighter color dials I have used silver, yellow, etc. Simply position the reflector such that it is all that is seen in the reflection of the crystal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much - I will make a start with the polarizing filter.
Also, I found out that my "good" camera - Leica T requires a macro lens.
However, I also discovered that my rather more pedestrian Cannon camera has a macro lens built in.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I'm no expert in photography, just a simplistic point and shoot camera type. What I do to prevent glare is I use a piece of White card see pictures below, I know there are obviously more technical ways to do it, but this is how I do it it's cheap easy and very simplistic.

With glare.
DSCN1956.JPG
Card to prevent glare.
DSCN1957.JPG

DSCN1958.JPG

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Do any of you have any handy recommendations of how to deal with the glare and reflections coming from the crystal and shine surfaces.

I am sure I am overlooking the obvious!

Thanks a lot.
lots of experimentation....
Light box is very helpful, but not the entire solution. I have polarizing filters. In some situations they are helpful and in others, not so much. The key is adjusting the light and then blocking any reflections. Something like this any good?

·
Registered
48 Posts
lots of experimentation....
Light box is very helpful, but not the entire solution. I have polarizing filters. In some situations they are helpful and in others, not so much. The key is adjusting the light and then blocking any reflections. Something like this any good?

Very nice shot!

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have daylight (5000 Kelvin) LED bulbs in there. They are the 60w equivalent ones. The main thing is you need to have your white balance matching the bulbs. I had some soft white ones to start with and I did not like the yellowish light so I changed to these and I like what I get

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flagging is a simple concept that goes a long way. There are a bunch of tutorials on youtube that can help with the concept. Other than that, just experiment, use the reflection to your advantage if you cannot get away from it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well I used to be a professional photographer and yes, we used flags/gobos for product shots. Also with the advent of digital it becomes easy to take multiple exposures and composite them in post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts