WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I’m curious about buying my first G. However, I’m not seeing an easy way to search for the features I want in order to narrow the field. The Casio web site seems useless. Is there a resource I’m missing? Some huge comparison table or standard reference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, I’m curious about buying my first G. However, I’m not seeing an easy way to search for the features I want in order to narrow the field. The Casio web site seems useless. Is there a resource I’m missing? Some huge comparison table or standard reference?

Thanks!
I'd have a look at the following links. They might help you determine what you're looking for.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=850524&share_fid=13788&share_type=t

Just be aware that I haven't updated the link below to include the new generation of bluetooth gshocks (eg the GW-B5600BC)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=4528277&share_fid=13788&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ziptie

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Braad and G-Drive for the resources. I think my requirements are modest enough that it doesn’t narrow it down much.
- solar
- atomic or GPS preferred but not required
- world time
- 10bar minimum WR
- high-contrast (prob not negative) display, larger digits are better
- probably not super bulky, but that’s an aesthetic preference. I’ve got an 8” wrist and have no problem wearing analog watches in the 44-48mm range
- under $200? This is a beater/tool.
- I hear vibration alarms are nice

I mostly own Citizens, and am also curious about the digital Q&Q models.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Trolling this forum has helped me alot. Also, if you list your precise specs, people here would make suggestions that can get you what you are looking for or at least get you in the ballpark, good luck.
This is a very good advice.

Lurking around here in f17 would pretty much show you your inner G :-d . I joined wus after i bought 2 ana-digi ga-100’s to check its authenticity, and after a few weeks of reading topics, i was enlightened... and realized that i am really just a square guy. :)

c9p7pNG.jpg

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks Braad and G-Drive for the resources. I think my requirements are modest enough that it doesn’t narrow it down much.
- solar
- world time
- 10bar minimum WR
- probably not super bulky, but that’s an aesthetic preference. I’ve got an 8” wrist and have no problem wearing analog watches in the 44-48mm range

Thanks all!
Hmm, most of those specs are available on most Gs, but the vibration alarm, large digits plus <$200 price point definitely narrows it down - I highly recommend any of the variants of the GD-350 (even the negative display, which ranks as one of the most legible). I had one before gifting it to a friend. They're neither solar nor atomic but the battery lasts for ages (5y) and fairly accurate.

I also recommend just spending some time on the forum. Plenty of pics go up constantly so you're bound to find something you like.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,473 Posts
Yep it leaves 3 choices in best bang for 200$: GD350, some of solar/MB6 squares or new resin BT square which likely best choice if you find it with positive.
when usual suspects are clear i suggest to look for these
GAS100-1A and brother model with MB6. analog digiatals are very superior when it comes to viewing angles. 150$ US
GAS100-1A_large.png
PRG330-1 200$ US
It does not have MB6 but very nice package similar to PRW3000/3100
PRG330-1_large.png
It's ABC watch with full boatload of functions and big font in smallest package in Casio catalog.
My personal choice would of been between analog digital and square.
Frankly i have both.
Prices are MSRP so chances are you can find them cheaper.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Thanks!
Please don't think I am being flippant here, but honestly over the past ten years or so I've found a great way to discover G-Shocks that you gel with is to browse eBay and see what leaps out at you aesthetically, adding each model to your watch list (no pun intended).

Once you have a good sized list assembled, dive deeper into the specs to see which models do what you want them to do for a price that seems reasonable. Every model in my sig was acquired that way.

Good luck! |>

·
Registered
89 Posts
- solar
- world time
- 10bar minimum WR

Thanks all!
There's been some cracking recommendations given so far.
I will say one thing, having vibration really limits your choices, and basically means no solar.
Another g-shock with vibe alarm is the GB-5600B. I have one, it's great, and the neg display is really good (also available with a positive display)

However, from your list I feel like a vibe alarm isn't your priority.

Have you decided whether you prefer digital, analog or analog-digital? That can help minimise the search a fair bit if you know which

If you knew you liked squares, then I'd suggest jumping straight to the grand daddy GW-5000. Although, i doubt you'd find one for $200 (maybe?)
Again with a square, the GWM5610 seems to tick a lot of your boxes (spec wise) and comes in a great price point

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I just spent a lot of time browsing around and reading comparisons. I think Braad's most recent suggestion nailed it: GW-M5610. They're under $90 new on ebay, or $93 on amazon. At that price it's almost not worth trying to save $20 to get a used one.

... and then I saw someone mention the GWM850, which is an entirely other aesthetic, and there's a NOS one on ebay for $75 - 15%... So it was $70 with tax and should be here in a week. :-D

Thanks all!

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
There's been some cracking recommendations given so far.
I will say one thing, having vibration really limits your choices, and basically means no solar.
Another vibration alarm G with solar and atomic is the old GW-400, has 4 alarms, it is out of production but they turn up in good condition on eBay regularly at affordable prices:

GW-400

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
In order to find the right G shock there are some simple steps you can take.

1) Type in GW 5000 1JF into your search engine of choice
2) Identify one that is for sale
3) Click "buy now" or some variation thereof
4) Ignore all watch related posts, comments, discussions, forums, facebook groups for the rest of your life
5) Enjoy your new G Shock

You're welcome

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1) Type in GW 5000 1JF into your search engine of choice
4) Ignore all watch related posts, comments, discussions, forums, facebook groups for the rest of your life
Ha, you sound like me recommending the PMD56-2951. But how boring would life be if we all had the exact same tastes and priorities?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts