WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I have this old Omega but recently the lume on the hour hand has began to degrade and fall out. Just curious, is there a way to get this shade of lume? Could you use paint? Any tips would be appreciated, it just wouldn't look right with white or green lume...

·
Registered
721 Posts
You are correct - it is a technique to use tea or coffee. One thing to consider though is some lume is water soluble so you efforts could be frustrated. If this is the case I would "try" mixing in some colorant like a scraped to powder pastel or pigment into a sample of lume to achieve the color you desire. The "glow" will be reduced though. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pastel! That's brilliant!

I wondered how the heck I could mix up a light-brown/tan color. If pastel chalk will suspend in my white lume, then I'm set. Thanks for the tip.... I'll be trying this one out soon. It does make sense the lume would be reduced, potentially quite a bit.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am happy to share some of the knowledge in our dial refinish business;
First of all a few tips:
1. When you purchase a powder, make sure the grains are the smallest. This will spread evenly on hands and you will see an even surface.
2. It would always be best, for the long run, to mix the luminous powder with lacquer base rather than water.

The lacquer will have a morbid structure and will resist better to shocks, hence pieces of luminous material are unlikely to fall off the hands as may occur with the water based mixture.
Another reason for using a lacquer based mixture is the nice satin finish you will achieve, as opposed to a matte, sometimes textured finish with water;

As for the tones, I suggest using a drop or two of enamel based inks, such as the "Testor" enamel paint for modeling which are also thinner soluble as the lacquer is and make a fine composition.
I also noticed this has almost no effect on the luminous glow despite having a different tint in daylight. Hope that was helpful!

As for the powder, as well as the lacquer - There are dedicated shelf products available at Borel etc. - They do excellent work.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks much for sharing some secrets of your business Tal. I've been playing around with Testors recently, painting hands. I'll try throwing some into my next lume batch and see how it works. It if works well with my powder then that'll open up a HUGE number of colors.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yes, thank you, very informative, I think I would do both of them though rather than try and match colors. Also there are yellow, green and white colors available from the usual sources. The current color I am sure doesn't resemble the original color.
Michael,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts