WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has made a deal with me that allows me to purchase a watch every two years, my last watch I purchased was only a few months ago. I have been wanting to buy Sinn U1, oh so bad :p. Good thing is that I control the finances, so as far as her finding out about the purchase I could keep that a secret, but here are the problems, since it is a Sinn, I would have to purchase it through an online AD, and when using a credit card they will ship to billing address, but even if I get it delivered to another address, how do I put it into my collection without her finding out since my collection, is pretty out in the open, and of course she would find out if I was wearing the watch in her presence. Sometimes I wish I was single, and didn't have to worry about the significant other getting on my case about my watch obsession.:-(

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I had a friend who told his wife he was going through a mid life crisis and needed to buy things in order to keep his mind off women. It worked for him but maybe your age would prevent this approach.

Wearing this today.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think you need to re-negotiate your basic agreement rob.
No proper WIS can get by with 1 watch every 2 yrs!
I agree. Purchasing one watch a year is probably the minimum, at least for me it is. I'm not married yet (currently engaged), but my fiance and I already agreed that we can allocate up to 10% of every paycheck (max) to our own individual savings accounts. The rest will go into our checking, joint saving, investments, education fund, and so on. That way, I can update my watch collection and she can purchase her purses. And...we can purchase gifts for each other more discretely.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My first 'real' watch was purchased last fall for around $1800 USD. It was an Omega auto. Now, if I stayed in that league of watches, I would also probably be stuck at one every other year. But I decided to broaden my scope and I have been able to get five more watches since then. And I don't feel like I've compromised either. I enjoy and wear each of them.
My second watch was a Tissot T-Touch, a techno fun watch. Next I got a Perpetual Seiko with the 8F56 quartz movement ( going for accuracy here ). Then I got a Citizen Eco-Drive for the fun of it. Then a Casio Atomic to use as a reference watch.
Last purchase was last week, a Seiko Samurai Ninja LE that I got from a forum member. The wife insists that this one be held until Christams since I already got four others this year. No problem.
Anyway, I guess I'm saying that I wanted to end up with more than two or three watches in my collection. I'm off to a good start because I truly enjoy each of the watches that I've gotten since being bitten with the bug.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
1. Re-negotiate your agreement as Tragic points out.
2. Offer to sell of another watch or something your wife perceives as valuable in order to make an exception to your agreement.
3. Let your mistress hang onto the new watch so your wife doesn't find it. This should be a last resort. If she get's PO'd at you, she might "out" you to the wife and keep the watch. Double-whammy.

·
Registered
594 Posts
At the risk of sounding judgmental (which I am :) ):

If you're at a point with your wife that you are lying and hiding major four-figure purchases from her, it may be time to reevaluate more than just your finances.

:rodekaart

Doesn't matter whether you give up on your next watch purchase, sit down and re-negotiate your deal with her, try to convince her to make an exception, or put your foot down and tell her you're going to buy the watch and that's that! But any of those options is better, in the long run, than spending your jointly owned and controlled money on something behind her back.

I love watches, but not enough to risk my marriage over one.

·
Registered
547 Posts
See, this is *precisely* why I'm staying single. I'm 24, I've got the money, and I'm making the most of a good situation b-) I very much enjoy being able to walk into an AD and picking up stuff like my three month old Omega Seamaster... and my two days old Rado DiaStar :-!

I agree with Todd above; lying to the Mrs generally doesn't pan out too good. Having said that, there's three good options:

You could try the 'had it for ages' approach; a favorite method with most married WIS. But that depends on your collection. If you're like me, you might have a few old watches stored away somewhere. Throw the box in the attic when it arrives, keep the watch at work for a month or two, and when it acquires your 'scent' and some markings, add it to the watchbox out in the open and claim you found it in said attic -- where you could even pull out a dusty box. Minus reciept of course.

You could also claim it's a trade. Again, depends on wether you've stored watches elsewhere, as she'd notice the lack of substraction as well as the addition. In this case, you could recieve the new watch at work, take it out of the shipping box, put the reciept in your desk drawer and drive home with the watch on your wrist and the inner boxes in the trunk. Make sure to remove hangtags as well as protective film.

The third method is the lend-lease agreement. You say it's a long term loaner from a fellow WIS who's interested in trying your XXXX. You could even keep that XXXX at your work in order to maintain the illusion that it's elsewhere. It'll be a good long while before she might suspect anything, and then you could even ask a fellow married WIS to post something very nice about 'your' watch XXXX that he supposedly loaned. Eventually you could claim he returned your watch but that you liked his so much that you paid a token sum for it because he wanted to sell it anyway.

The question is: how far do you want to go?

·
Banned
440 Posts
See, this is *precisely* why I'm staying single. I'm 24, I've got the money, and I'm making the most of a good situation b-) I very much enjoy being able to walk into an AD and picking up stuff like my three month old Omega Seamaster... and my two days old Rado DiaStar :-!

I agree with Todd above; lying to the Mrs generally doesn't pan out too good. Having said that, there's three good options:

You could try the 'had it for ages' approach; a favorite method with most married WIS. But that depends on your collection. If you're like me, you might have a few old watches stored away somewhere. Throw the box in the attic when it arrives, keep the watch at work for a month or two, and when it acquires your 'scent' and some markings, add it to the watchbox out in the open and claim you found it in said attic -- where you could even pull out a dusty box. Minus reciept of course.

You could also claim it's a trade. Again, depends on wether you've stored watches elsewhere, as she'd notice the lack of substraction as well as the addition. In this case, you could recieve the new watch at work, take it out of the shipping box, put the reciept in your desk drawer and drive home with the watch on your wrist and the inner boxes in the trunk. Make sure to remove hangtags as well as protective film.

The third method is the lend-lease agreement. You say it's a long term loaner from a fellow WIS who's interested in trying your XXXX. You could even keep that XXXX at your work in order to maintain the illusion that it's elsewhere. It'll be a good long while before she might suspect anything, and then you could even ask a fellow married WIS to post something very nice about 'your' watch XXXX that he supposedly loaned. Eventually you could claim he returned your watch but that you liked his so much that you paid a token sum for it because he wanted to sell it anyway.

The question is: how far do you want to go?
:-!
Let's see what you will be saying some years from now when you be with a Mrs ;-)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wife and I usually feed our habits together if I purchase a watch, she will purchase jewelry, renegotiation will really do a number on my pocket book. I on average drop over a couple thousand on each watch purchase, as my wife spends the same amount on jewelry. My last purchase was a Sothis spirit of moon, and previous to that was a Jaeger LeCoultre Hometime. At least this time around the watch I want is under two grand. Problem is Sinn is going to have a price increase in September, so the watch I want if I wait, might be over two grand, by the time two years rolls around.

I think you need to re-negotiate your basic agreement rob.
No proper WIS can get by with 1 watch every 2 yrs!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Todd, well, said, coming from a WIS and a wife! :) But the unofficial truth is that husband or wife, we're all guilty of occasionally telling little white lies. Like that dress/purse/shoes that you've never seen and yet the wife says she's always had them? Uh-huh...

I got the habit from my mom, and it works, of taking about 40% off the price when I tell my husband about anything I bought. It seems the men in my life have no concept of how much things really cost, and it just makes life easier. And like my mom, I do the finances, so I know how much we have for spending money.

But hide 4 figure purchases? No, I can maybe pad the truth, make it easier to swallow, beg, plead, but hide it? No.

Having said all that, one watch every two years is tough to swallow. It seems like you could raise funds by flipping the ones you can more easily part with. I think it's more realistic to set a spending money budget for both of you, and talking about it before dipping into the funds.

And if she nags you about watches, just remind her that you aren't nagging about whatever is her weakness. You've gotta be yourself, and while my husband and I aren't 100% into the same things, and while sometimes we pester each other back and forth, we don't _really_ give each other real crap about what is essentially being ourselves.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It seems the men in my life have no concept of how much things really cost, and it just makes life easier.
Don't worry, that's not limited to the men in your life :-d

On buying watches - I think I saw the words "until it becomes a moral imperative" someplace in a sig here; that's probably the tricky bit.

As for hiding buys that put a major dent in your common finances - I'd recommend against it. The only thing is can really cause over time is a distrust a healthy relationship in no way benefits from.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts