WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. :)

I am trying to remove the caseback of my Seiko 5, but the counter-clockwise force of the removal tool causes the watch to turn in my hand holding it.

I think the caseback might be on too tight.

I am applying fantastic force, with no success. Either my hand holding the case will break, or the tool with jump and damage the caseback.

What can I do? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, to put it in a better way, it's like trying to unscrew the cap off a jar of pickles.

However, the watch is too small for me to get a good grip, so gets rotated by the turning force of the caseback removal tool.

Thanks! :)

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,794 Posts
Hi,
You need a case holder to give you more grip and therefore leverage.
Here is a pic of one of many available on the web. You don't have to spend a lot. They come in a fair few styles and grades so have a look and see what suits your needs. This one is in wood but they come in metal and plastic also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Here's a trick to keep from scratching the caseback:
Cover the caseback with Saran Wrap or the plastic from a sandwich bag and apply the caseback removal tool over it. If the tool slips, it will probably slide off the plastic and not scratch the metal.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a trick to keep from scratching the caseback:
Cover the caseback with Saran Wrap or the plastic from a sandwich bag and apply the caseback removal tool over it. If the tool slips, it will probably slide off the plastic and not scratch the metal.
That is excellent advice. :gold

Thanks! :-!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
In the absence of a case holder, put on a leather glove, preferably calf or pigskin, and hold the watch in it. It won't slip. Unscrew the case with the tool in the same way you remove an oil filter from a car engine. [A firm grip, mighty effort, then as soon as you feel it give back off slightly with the power.] Undo is counter clockwise BTW.

Works for me every time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts