WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How to identify different Omega calibre 2500 generations

11K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  semmern 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if the question sounds naive. I am new to different movements and still learning. Could anyone guide me as to how to identify the correct calibre 2500 generation on an Omega? Is it publically known through serial numbers or should you contact the service centre? Thanks!

Best regards,
Vish

#2 ·
Yes, serial number is a good indicator. Someone else can chime in about the range. Many of the earlier A's and B's were replaced under warranty and now it's mostly C's and D's out there. Both are fine, but if you're looking for a D variant, look at the numerals on the date wheel. C variant on the left and D variant on the right. The "1"s on the D variant have serifs and it's the easiest way to spot it.

Also, if you have the know-how, open up the caseback and look in front of the balance wheel. It's there.

#3 ·
Yes, serial number is a good indicator. Someone else can chime in about the range. Many of the earlier A's and B's were replaced under warranty and now it's mostly C's and D's out there. Both are fine, but if you're looking for a D variant, look at the numerals on the date wheel. C variant on the left and D variant on the right. The "1"s on the D variant have serifs and it's the easiest way to spot it.

Also, if you have the know-how, open up the caseback and look in front of the balance wheel. It's there.
Oh, brilliant! Thanks very much for the info, NikoMos. Much appreciated.

#6 ·
There are plenty of B’s still out there, as Omega didn’t replace movements with newer versions generally. Many people say the date wheel is an indicator, but keep in mind that the date wheel is a part that can be changed to make any version look like a D, so that is not a reliable indicator. Really the best way to tell is to look at the movement.

Cheers, Al

#8 ·
There are plenty of B's still out there, as Omega didn't replace movements with newer versions generally. Many people say the date wheel is an indicator, but keep in mind that the date wheel is a part that can be changed to make any version look like a D, so that is not a reliable indicator. Really the best way to tell is to look at the movement.

Cheers, Al
Are there any As around? From a collectors point of view, I'd like to own one.

#7 ·
My Railmaster has the 2500A. Has anyone here experienced any sort of failure with theirs? Also, if something should happen and I bring it in, what will Omega do? Replace the entire movement, or service the existing one?

#17 ·
What I read some place the problems with the “A-B” and early “C” 2500 movement, the problem were the main springs. It would lose it’s “spring” If you want the best 2500D is the one you want to get. Me too! Vance.

#19 ·
What I read some place the problems with the "A-B" and early "C" 2500 movement, the problem were the main springs. It would lose it's "spring" If you want the best 2500D is the one you want to get. Me too! Vance.
Something I also remember to know for sure if you have the better movement? The better Main Spring is Blue in color. If you have the "improved" 2500C Blue main spring. All the 2500D models have Blue main springs. I am sure though, that you can look at the model number in the description of the watch you are looking at. Other than the knowledge shared above, pull the back off and look for the Blue main spring. Then get your watch pressure tested again to know it is sealed again for water intrusion! Vance.
Sorry, but this is all nonsense. The issue had nothing to do with the mainsprings, and no current Omega mainsprings are blued springs.

There were various problems with the early movements, but the A had a pallet bridge that wasn't strong enough, so that was modified to make the B. The B had poor self-starting, and that was modified to make the C. The C, like the A and B, had the issues of residue build up on the intermediate escape wheel, so that was solved by going back to the original 3 level escapement design.

#18 ·
Something I also remember to know for sure if you have the better movement? The better Main Spring is Blue in color. If you have the ”improved“ 2500C Blue main spring. All the 2500D models have Blue main springs. I am sure though, that you can look at the model number in the description of the watch you are looking at. Other than the knowledge shared above, pull the back off and look for the Blue main spring. Then get your watch pressure tested again to know it is sealed again for water intrusion! Vance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.