WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always love the challenge of trying something new and have seen quite a number of beautiful handmade leather straps.

I have a bit of extra free time and would love to learn the process. Any good tutorials that can guide me along the way?

·
Registered
313 Posts
There are few member here that posted their strap making process. Daddy-o, amacman springs to mind.

This is from amacman's website How are they made? ?

I'm working on one myself, I'll be posting it in my blog once done (hopefully this week).

Note that each strap maker has their own style of doing things, you will eventually have your own process.

·
Registered
449 Posts
here you can find nice link form one of the forum form Poland

Jak zrobi

this tutorial was made by one of the first polish strapmaker

I think that google translator will help you :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's a pretty impressive tutorial. I like how he use sanding paper to thin the leather out, smart. Nice find!!

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I found this awhile back on YouTube, thought it was pretty interesting and helpful. There are continuing parts of it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
That's a pretty impressive tutorial. I like how he use sanding paper to thin the leather out, smart. Nice find!!

A lot of it is like woodworking, just with flexible wood. One of biggest suggestions when learning is to stick with leathers that will work at the thickness they already are. Learning to skive( thin) larger pieces of leather consistently by hand can be frustrating and leather splitters are a bit pricey to start out with.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Agree. For skiving leather I now use head/round knife, very effective and fast, I recommend people to master this tool early if they are serious about leather work.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Tandy Leather has some good how to books on leather making and different knot techniques ... you will need some basic tools as well; probably run you about $200-$250 to get started ... ebay is a good place to look.

You will definitely need the following to get started: stitching awl; scratch awl; stitching pony; head knife; thread; overstitch wheel; burnisher; utility knife; beveler; stitching groover; hole punch; cutting surface; sewing needles; and rubber glue ... and of course some leather. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts