WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So if you're like me, you like to wear your favorite pocketwatch, especially if you're going out on a training course or to a conference. The problem is that when you're sitting for long periods of time, the watch often sits uncomfortably in your pants, and its hard to check the time without being a contortionist or elbowing your neighbors. It'd be nice to just sit it on the desk, but just sitting it on its back doesn't make it easy to see, and risks scraping the caseback.

The solution is this fancy-dancy watch stand that you can quickly make from a spare sheet of 5.5x11 paper! Intrigued? Read on!

1) Starting with a regular sheet of paper (you can use other sizes depending on how big and thick you want the holder to be; this one is suitable for a 18sz) fold it in half down the long side: DSC_8120.JPG
2) Then fold it again: DSC_8121.JPG
3) Fold the corner up to the fold, making a right angle: DSC_8122.JPG
4) Fold the end back against the edge: DSC_8123.JPG
5) And then fold down along the angle: DSC_8124.JPG
6) Unfold it back to the second step: DSC_8125.JPG
7) Fold the sheet long ways, pushing the triangle portion down: DSC_8126.JPG
8) to get this: DSC_8127.JPG
9) Fold the flap up, and insert the corner into the seam: DSC_8128.JPG
10 Push the flap all the way in until the paper is flat: DSC_8129.JPG
11) Fold the long part of paper down on a right angle: DSC_8130.JPG
12) Then fold it back upwards: DSC_8131.JPG
13) Undo the last two folds, and spread it open to create a small pyramid: DSC_8133.JPG
14) At this point, I'll trim the paper back, but you could always just fold it back under the pyramid: DSC_8134.JPG
15) Fold the remaining edge to make the lip (this is the part that holds the watch against the holder, so you want to double fold it): DSC_8135.JPG
16) At this point, you can tape the lip against the back to finish the holder: DSC_8137.JPG
16b) Or if you don't have tape, fold the corners in: DSC_8138.JPG

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Great thread....

Makes me want to buy a pocket watch, so I can sit in the office or at a meeting and whip one of those up!

very nice,

Marc

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Brilliant craftsmanship. Origami rules!

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
great stand, I think you have way to much time on your hands at work or should I say on your desk

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,045 Posts
Oh, that's nothing - I can make a whole clock out of one of those!

bfcc1.jpg

Hartmut Richter

(With all due credit to Dr. Robert J. Lang, master of origami and inventor of that clock, Yes, I can make one of those - I have the instructions - I simply haven't yet got round to it. For one thing, I would need at least ca. 200x20cm strip of paper, for another, a lot of space to prepare the cutting and for a third, I have three children that take up all my time so I am glad when I get some time to fold anything at all! One day......

Original picture source: - Robert J. Lang Origami -)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
oh, that's nothing - i can make a whole clock out of one of those!

One day......
Hartmut..... 'one day' I look forward to seeing your step by step thread of how to make a clock.... I think it would also be 'pic heavy'

;-)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
That is majorly cool, but I screwed up halfway through.

...How about a Youtube video?

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,045 Posts
Well, it would be quite a post - the instructions have 216 consecutive steps!!

As for different papers, you can actually make this with paper coloured differently on the two sides - the dial, stag's antlers, cuckoo and inside of the clock are in one colour, the rest of the clock in the other! There is a simpler version without the leaves, stag and weights, just the case, dial, hands, cuckoo and pendulum which I have already made a number of years ago.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried this just now, and finally succeeded after half an hour of
and
It's
, just that I would like to suggest a "chain holder."

I've tried to attach couple of images of my version, showing the chain holder and the place I put my clip thing at the end of my chain.
The problem is...watchuseek says upload failed.
So here are the Google Drive links.

(Please quote and say if the links are broken or something....)

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Impressive.:-!

SAM2_4805.JPG

You probably need to downsize your pictures to upload them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts