WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am in the market for a Zenith Chronomaster Sport.

However, I have read on several forums that Zenith’s are regularly discounted; sometimes up to 25-30%.

I have also read that people have obtained discounts on the new Zenith Chronomaster Sport.

If this is the case, I am disinclined to purchase the watch at full list price as it will certainly be worth significantly less after purchase.

I recognize that ADs/retailers have to make money (they are a business after all) but I also know that manufacturers structure pricing in such a way that the retailer is able to discount, yet still have sufficient margin for profit.

I am seriously ready to purchase the watch, but I am uncertain how to go about asking a Zenith AD for a discount. I do not want to be rude or impolite.

What is the best way to go about seeking a discount from an AD?

I am looking for answers from people who have actually done this, not people who will speculate.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,126 Posts
Why not pay the full price? And I’m hearing there’s now a waiting list so you might even end up paying a premium!

·
Registered
81 Posts
However, I have read on several forums that Zenith’s are regularly discounted; sometimes up to 25-30%.
I've been calling around recently to ADs for a different Zenith model, and they haven't been very willing to negotiate - perhaps at most 10% off. Zeniths seem popular right now, with the Chronomaster Sport leading the charge. It's a brand-new, talked-about watch, I wouldn't expect much of a discount.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
You probably have to be patient and wait for the hype to settle down. New releases rarely see steep discounts.
+1. After the initial hype these will drop quite a bit, if history is any indication, unless Zenith decides to play games.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why does everyone think they’re entitled to discounts anyway, if you want it that badly pay the full price.
Well, I explained this.

Imagine this...you buy a watch for $10,000.
In six months time, it is being discounted 25% new. So the retail price on your watch used will be likely less than $7,500.
If you go to sell it, wholesalers will be offering you $5,000, perhaps less.

It is not that I believe that I am entitled to a discount; it is that historically, Zenith watches suffer from depreciation, and little is done to protect the value in them.

While I am not expecting a Zenith watch to have Rolex-like value, I do not think it is unreasonable to ask for a discount when others are receiving discounts.

If I have to wait for the hype phase to die down before making a purchase, I am fine with that, but if Zenith has structure their retail sales channel in a way that many people are getting discounts, why should I not get one as well?

Why should I over-pay?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You probably have to be patient and wait for the hype to settle down. New releases rarely see steep discounts.
I will likely do that.
While I am itching to purchase the watch immediately, I do not want to pay full retail for something that will have severe depreciation in six months.

Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. Call Rob at forum sponsor Topper Jewelers and tell him you are a forum membet.

2. Ask him to quote you his best price on the model you're interested in.

3. QED
Thank you for the advice.

QED - quod erat demonstrandum?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been calling around recently to ADs for a different Zenith model, and they haven't been very willing to negotiate - perhaps at most 10% off. Zeniths seem popular right now, with the Chronomaster Sport leading the charge. It's a brand-new, talked-about watch, I wouldn't expect much of a discount.
Thank you. Good to know.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well, I explained this.

Imagine this...you buy a watch for $10,000.
In six months time, it is being discounted 25% new. So the retail price on your watch used will be likely less than $7,500.
If you go to sell it, wholesalers will be offering you $5,000, perhaps less.

It is not that I believe that I am entitled to a discount; it is that historically, Zenith watches suffer from depreciation, and little is done to protect the value in them.

While I am not expecting a Zenith watch to have Rolex-like value, I do not think it is unreasonable to ask for a discount when others are receiving discounts.

If I have to wait for the hype phase to die down before making a purchase, I am fine with that, but if Zenith has structure their retail sales channel in a way that many people are getting discounts, why should I not get one as well?

Why should I over-pay?
Its not over paying if the msrp is $10,000. Why should the jeweler absorb your depreciation on a second hand watch?

Its not rude, it's cheap. If you would only buy it with 25% off, just tell the AD. They may say ok, they may tell you to leave.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Its not over paying if the msrp is $10,000. Why should the jeweler absorb your depreciation on a second hand watch?

Its not rude, it's cheap. If you would only buy it with 25% off, just tell the AD. They may say ok, they may tell you to leave.
And if the problem is the depreciation of a watch bought now compared to its value 2 years down the line, wait and buy it then.

This is just like the car scene, people want used cars from factory.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I was also offered the Zenith Chronomaster Sport (white-dial) from an AD where I purchased multiple watches (Rolex, VC, AP) and he would not budge off of the MSRP. It was somewhat disappointing so I had to pass. I don't think it's inappropriate to ask for a discount; I'll haggle price on car purchases, home purchases, etc. I don't see any issue haggling price knowing there is margin for their profit.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
And if the problem is the depreciation of a watch bought now compared to its value 2 years down the line, wait and buy it then.

This is just like the car scene, people want used cars from factory.
Exactly. Maybe even new car from the factory, but at used car prices.

If someone is worry about depreciation then wait and buy it used. Maybe it will be cheaper, maybe it will be more than MSRP. No one knows for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly. Maybe even new car from the factory, but at used car prices.

If someone is worry about depreciation then wait and buy it used. Maybe it will be cheaper, maybe it will be more than MSRP. No one knows for sure.
Thank you for your feedback.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts