WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

Registered
1. Call Rob at forum sponsor Topper Jewelers and tell him you are a forum membet.

2. Ask him to quote you his best price on the model you're interested in.

3. QED
Rob Caplan at Topper provides outstanding customer service. He gave me an awesome deal on a Breitling Avenger after trading a Longines for it. Highly recommended as an option for watch shopping.

Registered
It's always worth a shot naming your best price and offering to pay by cash or wire. The worst they can say is no. No reason to pay more than you have to. If it's not a good deal, they won't accept. Nothing impolite or rude about being a smart buyer.

Reactions: O . and LeDandy_66

Registered
If someone want to make a rational argument that perhaps $7500 is about fair for a Zenith Chronosport, where as $10,000 is too much. sure we can gave that discussion. But all I'm hearing in this thread is no matter what MSRP is, Zenith is should only be sold at 75% of asking price.
That's just silly and makes no sense.

As for discounts being archaic. Go to Cartier, Bvlgari, Tiffany and Co, Herm猫s or any other luxury retailer. Let me know which retailer negotiate prices for their goods.
Ok, the first part makes more sense now. Thanks for explaining. I'd probably still disagree with it to some degree - mainly because people get used to expecting certain discounts from certain brands. Eg, you say Ulysse Nardin and i go "40% off". Once a certain discount level is established for a brand, people generally do start off by trying to get that discount - atleast until they realize they cannot.

Re the second - a couple of points:
  • some fashion brands dont discount; others do. Just as with watches
  • boutiques dont discount - ADs do. True for fashion, true for watches.
Neither of which make the concept of discounting. which is - as I said - the purest form of bridging the gap between a manufacturer's desired price level and a buyer's willingness to pay, "archaic".

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
These are strange times for watch prices. I do own a White Chronosport and got it for a very slight discount. I feel this is going to be one of those current exceptions watches that the past year or two has had more than it's fair share of. I've never seen a Zenith with this much buzz. It is well worth the $10,000 asking pricing having several over $10K chronographs to compare it to. The more crazy one for me in the past year was having to pay MSRP for the Breitling SOH 1957 Covid 19 hero watch. Here is an ETA 2824 watch retailing over $5K. Turns out I love this highly flawed watch and so does the market. For a brand that get's discounted 25-45% on a regular basis here is a watch that sells second hand for 2x MSRP. I don't know if the Chronosport will appreciate, but I would see better than average for a Zenith value retention. It truly is the best chronograph I've ever owned and that is a fairly long list I can reference. I've taken some beatings on more dressy Zeniths in the past but the Pilot series and the newer Defy 21 have not taken that much of a beating when I let them go a few years later. I feel these will do better than those.

Registered
It's always worth a shot naming your best price and offering to pay by cash or wire. The worst they can say is no. No reason to pay more than you have to. If it's not a good deal, they won't accept. Nothing impolite or rude about being a smart buyer.
Remember, we are the customers.

Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
When the majority of watches can be purchased with a discount I do not see the evidence to support your claim that a discount is an entitlement.
Well that really depends on the wholesale price vs retail price and the margin the dealer actually makes on each sales relative to his overheads. Just because you can buy a majority of watches with a discount doesn鈥檛 mean people almost think they are entitled to it. No one is in business to do anything except make money.

Registered
You missed the point he was making, which is that if a watch is deeply discounted it is likely to lose even more value in the secondary. A watch with an RRP for 7000 sells new for 5000; who in their right mind is going to pay nearly 5000 for a used one? It ends up selling for 2500. Whereas a watch with an RRP of 7000 that is never discounted is likely to go for a much higher proportion of its retail price on the used market.
Actually, a decent discount of 20% often gets quite close to the grey market and used prices (within $100 to $200). If you judge grey market prices to be "market price", then there's little to no depreciation after the discount.
I have found it less often that a watch gets a 15%-20% discount and then immediately loses an additional 50% from that just by being used.
So, I think it's not incredibly uncommon to get both a good discount AND minimize depreciation.

Registered
Just ask your AD what he鈥檚 willing to discount. Most AD have a 25-30% margin to play with so depending on your relationship with them, you could get 15-20% easy since that still leave a 10-15% profit for them.
I agree. The only reason AD鈥檚 won鈥檛 give a discount is if it鈥檚 a hot model and they believe they can sell it for full MSRP relatively easy. The now Chrono is a great watch but wait 6 months and if it cools off I鈥檝e got to imagine with Zeniths track record one can get a discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
It really all comes down to what the dealer thinks they can get for it and how long they have had it..

Good luck getting a discount on a brand new release as many have pointed out but it鈥檚 also well with in your right to ask what a seller is willing to do to move a piece. Just don鈥檛 be shocked when they say they arent willing to offer anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
If this is popular Zenith will pump them out as fast as they can. They don't have the discipline or business model of Rolex or Patek, where they purposely limit supply. I find it hard to believe that supply won't soon far exceed demand. It doesn't matter how nice it is relative to a Daytona.

Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
If this is popular Zenith will pump them out as fast as they can. They don't have the discipline or business model of Rolex or Patek, where they purposely limit supply. I find it hard to believe that supply won't soon far exceed demand. It doesn't matter how nice it is relative to a Daytona.
This notion that Rolex purposely limit supply I just don鈥檛 get. Rolex makes around 850k watches per year and that鈥檚 that. How are they limiting supply? Patek makes around 50k watches per year, how are they limiting supply? They supply what they make to a global market who consumes them. The fact that the demand far exceeds that supply is another matter. And incidentally this particular Zenith is subject to a wait list in HK anyway.

Registered
The Zenith El Primero Chronomaster was selling near MSRP before it was discontinued. There were virtually no discount by the time it was discontinued. Perhaps that is a regional thing so I can't speak for where you are specifically.

The biggest problem is people have no idea how much they are actually willing to pay for something, they want a blanket discount because ... discount makes them feel good.

If someone want to make a rational argument that perhaps $7500 is about fair for a Zenith Chronosport, where as $10,000 is too much. sure we can gave that discussion. But all I'm hearing in this thread is no matter what MSRP is, Zenith is should only be sold at 75% of asking price.

That's just silly and makes no sense.

As for discounts being archaic. Go to Cartier, Bvlgari, Tiffany and Co, Herm猫s or any other luxury retailer. Let me know which retailer negotiate prices for their goods.
Got my EP for a pretty good discount 2 months ago, even though there were probably around 3-5 pieces at ADs nationwide. Didn't negotiate that hard btw, was offered a good deal without asking and pressed a bit further. I don't mind paying full MSRP if everybody does the same, just don't want to be the only fool in the room.

Registered
This notion that Rolex purposely limit supply I just don鈥檛 get. Rolex makes around 850k watches per year and that鈥檚 that. How are they limiting supply? Patek makes around 50k watches per year, how are they limiting supply? They supply what they make to a global market who consumes them. The fact that the demand far exceeds that supply is another matter. And incidentally this particular Zenith is subject to a wait list in HK anyway.
I don't think they limit supply in general, just on a few desired models. Stern admitted it as much (when asked about the Nautillus). That Zenith is pretty hot, but I saw quite a few during my AD visit last week.

Reactions: Awesom-O 4000

Registered
These are strange times for watch prices. I do own a White Chronosport and got it for a very slight discount. I feel this is going to be one of those current exceptions watches that the past year or two has had more than it's fair share of. I've never seen a Zenith with this much buzz. It is well worth the $10,000 asking pricing having several over $10K chronographs to compare it to. The more crazy one for me in the past year was having to pay MSRP for the Breitling SOH 1957 Covid 19 hero watch. Here is an ETA 2824 watch retailing over $5K. Turns out I love this highly flawed watch and so does the market. For a brand that get's discounted 25-45% on a regular basis here is a watch that sells second hand for 2x MSRP. I don't know if the Chronosport will appreciate, but I would see better than average for a Zenith value retention. It truly is the best chronograph I've ever owned and that is a fairly long list I can reference. I've taken some beatings on more dressy Zeniths in the past but the Pilot series and the newer Defy 21 have not taken that much of a beating when I let them go a few years later. I feel these will do better than those.

View attachment 15789920
Beautiful! I seriously considered that white Chrono Sport, but ended up going for a more vintage design instead. ADs I spoke to agree that this might be a breakout model for Zenith with unprecedented interest in the brand.

Registered
You don't know really do you? The best way to get a discount might be to wait 2 years. You might get a discount, but you might find the price has gone even higher.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts