WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,126 Posts
Yeah, pay some extra to be sure sales persons you most probably would never see again keep good memories of you. Hell, impress them with double MSRP!
Right now it’s a sellers market - that means the dealer can just as easily tell you to go shove it where the sun don’t shine if he doesn’t like you!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yeah, pay some extra to be sure sales persons you most probably would never see again keep good memories of you. Hell, impress them with double MSRP!
No one said anything about paying more than asking. Don't be ridiculous. Besides if AD would let people pay extra, you'd see a line outside of Rolex and Patek dealers.

If you don't see the sales persons again, that's your problem. I see my sales persons, years after years. I wouldn't go as far as calling it friendship, but certainly a positive working relationship.

Should one choose to be a bargain shopper and always go with the lowest price, that's fine too. Just don't get upset if all the in demand and desirable items are unavailable for you to buy, even at MSRP.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
No one said anything about paying more than asking. Don't be ridiculous. Besides if AD would let people pay extra, you'd see a line outside of Rolex and Patek dealers.

If you don't see the sales persons again, that's your problem. I see my sales persons, years after years. I wouldn't go as far as calling it friendship, but certainly a positive working relationship.
Commercial supply contracts have lots of characteristics, including adversarial (win-lose, some pain involved, someone takes one form the other, no interest in doing business again, no relationship, not commercially sustainable) and collaboration (share the spoils and both maximise your surplus, commercially sustainable for both parties).

Many people think they should negotiate according to the first type: aggressive, maybe a little unpleasant, take everything they can. Or maybe be opportunistic, taking advantage of temporary buyer power to clean out the seller. And yet they think they will get all the benefits of the latter, and be welcomed back with open arms.

In reality nothing is that black and white. But even if, like most, you buy only a handful of watches in your lifetime and have no specific intention of darkening that dealer's door again, what happens if the watch develops a fault? You take it back to the dealer. Will that dealer remember your negotiation? You bet your ass!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Commercial supply contracts have lots of characteristics, including adversarial (win-lose, some pain involved, someone takes one form the other, no interest in doing business again, no relationship, not commercially sustainable) and collaboration (share the spoils and both maximise your surplus, commercially sustainable for both parties).

Many people think they should negotiate according to the first type: aggressive, maybe a little unpleasant, take everything they can. Or maybe be opportunistic, taking advantage of temporary buyer power to clean out the seller. And yet they think they will get all the benefits of the latter, and be welcomed back with open arms.

In reality nothing is that black and white. But even if, like most, you buy only a handful of watches in your lifetime and have no specific intention of darkening that dealer's door again, what happens if the watch develops a fault? You take it back to the dealer. Will that dealer remember your negotiation? You bet your ass!
Well said! And when it comes to watch purchases, what most people refer to as negotiation, isn't even negotiation. To me negotiation is about the give and the get, each party brings something to the table, and both side tries to meet the number they have in mind.

Yet some buyers have no idea what they actually want to pay. They just feel as though they are cheated if they don't beat the other guy up in pricing, for the sake of beating the other guy up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hmm I dunno about u guys, but when my watch develops a fault I end up at the service center, not the AD. Having said that, I do agree that there is a point to be made there about negotiation - it simply can't be viewed as a zero sum, win-lose scenario. There has to be some give n take. I have been fortunate so far in that the ADs I've dealt have all been able to accommodate me with prices that are discounted below MSRP, usually with just a single ask n without too much hassle. At most, I would offer to pay in cash n ask if there was any consideration for some further benefit. ppl keep talking about relationship building but haggle to the point of quarrelling, which does seem ridiculous.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Beautiful! I seriously considered that white Chrono Sport, but ended up going for a more vintage design instead. ADs I spoke to agree that this might be a breakout model for Zenith with unprecedented interest in the brand.
I see the new Zenith Defy Classic is being shown as sold out at several sites. This appears to be Zenith's year.

Reactions: RetiredKarlMarx

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Very nice did you get the zenith through Topper, haven’t seen any post from you on the ball forum lately which you regularly frequented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes from Rob. I post on Ball from time to time, but more just view from time to time.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Still below retail in chrono24.
Msrp is 9.7k€. Available for 8 k€.
18% discount.
Sources: chrono24 in € and £:

and

·
Registered
448 Posts
Still below retail in chrono24.
Msrp is 9.7k€. Available for 8 k€.
18% discount.
Sources: chrono24 in € and £:

View attachment 15799184
and
View attachment 15799186
I don't think any Zenith will sell above MSRP anytime soon. But this release still generated attention for the brand, which might translate to better resale value down the line. Will still take years (and a few more successful releases) to solidify the momentum. No matter how you look at it, this is still a huge success for Zenith.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
No one has said it’s unreasonable to ask for a discount - it’s the notion that a discount is obligatory otherwise you’ll walk and wouldn’t actually buy it which makes me question what value you really place in the watch as a watch or is it purely just about the money!
Everybody should pay list price and never ask for a discount. Got it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been looking for a Zenith Chronomaster Sport too and I'll gladly ask for a discount. I don't think I'll get one....but I'll ask. How many people have actually gotten one yet and did anyone get a discount yet?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Well said! And when it comes to watch purchases, what most people refer to as negotiation, isn't even negotiation. To me negotiation is about the give and the get, each party brings something to the table, and both side tries to meet the number they have in mind.

Yet some buyers have no idea what they actually want to pay. They just feel as though they are cheated if they don't beat the other guy up in pricing, for the sake of beating the other guy up.
And the thing is, it is possible to get a discount on stuff AND not have an adverserial position. For my first transaction at each of the ADs I bought from, I told them what number I was looking for and why - they chose to match it or come close enough to it to not matter. And once the relationship is established, they give me the best deals they can - and from my side, I always go to them first for any purchase and wont buy elsewhere for minor differences in price, and also refer friends to them. In fact, I got 5% extra on my Lange when i purchased it vs what the salesguy had quoted me earlier when I had booked it, and another salesguy has told me to wait a few months before ordering the Chronosport, and he will get me a better discount.

I get treated well and get good deals on my watches (enough to not ever bother with grey market) and they get a repeat, loyal customer - win-win.

Reactions: cheu_f50
101 - 118 of 118 Posts