WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got an extra strap & bezel for my DW-8201 frogman, and it's solid black - all the words are there, but they have no color, so i wanted to paint them all white. what i gather from looking at it, is that actually painting them in with a brush would be nearly impossible without a telescope that could see out of our galaxy and eyes and hands ten years younger than mine.

so how do you do it, do i just rub paint in the hollows of the letters and wipe the excess off the top? what kind of paint do i use? do i need paint thinner? is there a certain type of cloth or rag that will not tear up the resin?

any tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I've heard that Testors paint for models works great. And yes, I guess it's best to go crazy with the paint at first so it gets in all the nooks and crannies. And then wipe off all the excess while it's still wet and easy to clean up. Using a toothpick can help get the paint in harder to reach spots. I would think any old rag would work fine. Paint thinner might damage the resin though.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I've applied the enamel with a q-tip, being sure to fill all the spaces, then wait a few minutes, and wipe the excess off with a tissue soaked in acetone or rubbing alcohol. It is easier to paint the smaller recessed letters. Areas that are big, like the big G on the gulfman, or the triangle on the 200 series frogman, are more difficult to get an even paint job. For big recessed holes, you may need to wipe carefully along the outer rim with a q-tip soaked in acetone to get the excess off. It may take some trial and error.

·
Registered
660 Posts
i used a wooden tooth pick to apply a fair amount of paint to the lettering, i found you want the paint to fully fill the lettering so the paint is flush with the bezel face. after that i let it dry for 2-3 hours, once fully dry i used a q-tip wet with water and just a tiny bit of goof off. you can clean the bezel face off with this q tip with the deluded goof off or paint thinner. the paint being flush and fully filling the cracks comes in at this point as some will be removed and if there is not enough filling the lettering you may pull some of the paint out of a letter entirely and have to repeat the process. when using the q tip and goof off to clean it up do this step by a sick with the water running, watch the watch off after cleaning up each set of lettering to the goof off doesn't have very long to eat away at the nicely finished white paint in your bezel. these are just my tips, this was the first attempt on my part and here are the results

AND DO NOT USE GOOF OFF ON THE PLATIC G LIGHT BUTTON, IT WILL MELT IT!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I used Testor's on these two. The G button on the 002 was the most difficult, because, as stated before, when you go over it with the thinner you may pull some of the paint up. Let the paint dry up a bit and then go around the edges first. Then go over all the letters very gently. You don't want to push your clean up cloth into the letters, but rather gently go over the top surface. The 5600 was the easiest becasue the letters are so small...the paint didn't come up. But I had to do the 002 twice before I got it how I wanted it.

Strap Watch Diving equipment Watch accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used the goof off and water mix on my 6500 from 1994 to get off the paint. Used a q tip to apply and a toothpick for the nooks and crannies. Takes a bit of patience but the results are good

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about white, but Testor's makes many colors in matte finish. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and any good little hobby shop should have an abundance of Testor's paints. Matte finishes such as grey, black, brown, and green are commonly used for model military aircraft, so I would bet you could find a matte white.

Edit: Just looked at a Testor's paint chart...Flat White is what you'd be looking for.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've used both nail polish and Testor's enamel. I prefer working with nail polish. It's much easier to remove with acetone, and I find it leaves better looking letters because the polish removes more evenly.

That said, colors are a problem with nail polish, especially matte colors. I sent my gf on a mission to the drug store with a G-Shock one time to find nail polish that matched the color. Not something I would want to do myself. With Testor's you have a useful color chart, your choice of matte and glossy enamel, and you don't have to buy it in the makeup aisle.

I like kung-fusion's idea of removing excess enamel before it fully dries. I'll try this next time. Fully dried enamel is not fun to remove.

Also, I would guess that enamel is stronger than nail polish, not that I've had any problems with letters done in nail polish.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
You can use goof-off, but be careful with it. It will melt the plastic light button, and if it sits on the bezel too long, it will start to melt the resin. IF you're going to use goof-off, I suggest you let teh paint dry completely first. Then remove teh access with goof off and rinse under water as quickly as possible. I use
Testor's paint and Testor's paint thinner. It's not as harmful as the goof off. This way I can paint, wait about 5 minutes to let it set in, but not dry, and gently wipe off hte excess. I painted this 003 yesterday, and it only took about 10 minutes.

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I have tried Humbrol Enamel Paint thinner to remove the colouring from an original bezel, but it wouldn't budge! Soaked it for 15 minutes, then scrubbed with toothbrush, and no difference at all. (Except it smells of petrochemical :):) )

Can someone suggest a substance that I would probably have lying around the house/garage (NOT Goof Off - not available in UK) that I can use for stealthing without destroying the bezel? Please include the method of use as I'm a bit of an idiot!!

(I tried nail polish remover that contains acetone, but after a cople of minutes, I got scared as it seemed to be damaging the bezel, so rinsed it off immediately - was I just being a coward?)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I tried nail polish remover that contains acetone, but after a cople of minutes, I got scared as it seemed to be damaging the bezel, so rinsed it off immediately
Hi StephenWatch, I used my girlfriend's acetone-free nail varnish remover and it went well, I poured a bit of the stuff in a glass and with a toothbrush I dipped in the nail varnish remover and back on to the bezel. I suppose that like any other quemicals it could eventually damage the bezel, so every few minutes I rinsed it in water before I continued with the toothbrush again. The process seemed to leave a bit of the scent of the nail varnish remover on the bezel but this has now dissapeared.

Good luck.

Reactions: StephenWatch

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Hi StephenWatch, I used my girlfriend's acetone-free nail varnish remover and it went well, I poured a bit of the stuff in a glass and with a toothbrush I dipped in the nail varnish remover and back on to the bezel. I suppose that like any other quemicals it could eventually damage the bezel, so every few minutes I rinsed it in water before I continued with the toothbrush again. The process seemed to leave a bit of the scent of the nail varnish remover on the bezel but this has now dissapeared.

Good luck.
After a quick 'google' I see that Superdrug do an 'acetone free' nail polish remover (The cheap Tesco stuff seems very corrosive!) - guess it's off to the shops for me tomorrow. Funnily enough, the girlfriend likes that idea :)

Thanks for the tip - hopefully it'll all go fine...

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
It worked a treat!! The only variation I used to your instructions was to use a stiff nail brush, my old tooth brush was getting no-where! Here's the results:

Before:

Strap Fashion accessory

After the process:

Bicycle part Auto part Metal

And for those in the UK without access to 'Goof Off' :roll:, just nip down to your local Superdrug, and part with £1.39 for 250ml of their Acetone Free nail polish remover. This is what you're looking for :) I dipped the bezel in it for 10 minutes then just scrubbed away with the nail brush, also soaked in the stuff - make sure you work near an open window!!

Product Plastic bottle Water Deodorant Fluid

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.