WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a vintage Seiko and the bracelet it came on is really confusing me. It's a folded link design, but there's no way to remove the links. Usually there's arrows or some sort of indication how to remove them, but this one shows nothing. I'm pretty sure links can be removed, as in the listing the seller mentions that the band is "NOS with no links removed". Here's a pic of the design, anyone have any idea?
Khaki Beige Fashion accessory Jewellery Turquoise Beige Belt

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The side of the bracelet is where we would need to closely inspect. Your picture is too dark. A closeup would be good.

Generally on less expensive watches a folded pin, like a cotter pin, is pressed out using a special tool which can be purchased inexpensively. Here is a picture of one on Ofrei's website: Watch Bracelet Tools

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The side of the bracelet is where we would need to closely inspect. Your picture is too dark. A closeup would be good.

Generally on less expensive watches a folded pin, like a cotter pin, is pressed out using a special tool which can be purchased inexpensively. Here is a picture of one on Ofrei's website: Watch Bracelet Tools
Thanks for the reply, it's strange actually, the side of the bracelet is black, I thought it was dirty at first, but I guess it's some PVD or IP coating. Not sure, but I'll try to get a better pic soon.

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
Chainsaw. Removing the links is the easy part. Putting them back together, that's where it can get dicey.

(Sorry, I'm of no help here.)

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
My guess is that you have a bracelet with folded links. See the following image to get a sense of how these are put together. The cheaper Seikos have bracelets with similar construction, but they feature a point where you can apply pressure to disassemble the links. On yours, it doesn't look like you have that, but when looking at the link from the side, you should be able to see that there is a central piece that has another sheet of metal wrapped around it. You need to apply pressure to that center piece, but you first have to figure out which side to apply pressure from.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I'd drop that bracelet and switch it for something nicer or go for a leather strap. Folded links, especially older ones are a pain to size.
Normally I'd do just that, but this is the H357, the model that Roger Moore wore as 007 in For Your Eyes Only, and one of the things that really drew me to this watch was seeing the way light reflected off the links throughout the film.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
On this image, it looks like the removable links (at the bottom of the photo, to the right of the clasp) have the same structure as the usual Seiko folded bracelet links that I showed above. The links you have left might not be removable.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There were lots of bands like this made that did not have removable links, usually these were "value-priced" Hong Kong bands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts