WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I've recently managed to remove the movement from the SMP quartz 'GoldenEye' watch, in order to re-paint the faded red second hand tip, and also clean lint under the crystal.

Previously I had never ventured further than opening the caseback, so this was a daunting task at first. I found bits and pieces of information on the internet, but not a single source that showed me how to do it from start to finish.

So here it is, and hope others can benefit from this little mini-tutorial.

What you need:
- watch caseback opener
- fine precision screwdriver
- red permanent marker, one with a fine tip
- microfibre cloth, e.g. for cleaning glasses

So here was the problem, a faded red second hand tip, and some lint under the crystal:

Opening the watch caseback:

The antimagnetic shield is revealed:

Underneath the shield is the quartz movement

Now there are 3 screws to work with. First remove the ones circled blue, that attach the movement to the watch case:

The 2 screws are off, along with the small metal pieces that hold the movement in place:

IMPORTANT: Next part is crucial. First unscrew the watch crown all the way (as if you were changing the time). Then loosen the screw that locks in the crown (circled red above, marked with an arrow on the movement) about 1 & 1/2 turns. It's advisable to unscrew it by 1 turn at first, and pull on the crown to see if it comes off. If it doesn't come off, unscrew another 1/4 turn and pull on the crown, and repeat until the crown comes off. Apparently if you loosen this screw all the way you'll need to make a trip to the watchmaker.

Look at that worn-out, light orange tip!

Colouring the tip red with a permanent marker. Clean the lint underneath the crystal if there are any.

Now you trace your steps back and put it all back together. Line up the movement inside the case, replace the small metal holders and the 2 screws that were removed.

Replace the watch stem/crown, and push the crown all the way in. Tighten the screw (marked with an arrow) by the same amount as you loosened it. Replace the antimagnetic shield, and tighten the caseback.

And here's the final result! A trip to the watchmaker saved, and now you know how to remove the watch movement!

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Good job! Many watch owner has not venture beyond your stage. I am sure your tutorials will benefit many others.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Very nice, thanks for sharing! |>

·
Registered
627 Posts
I admire your tenacity but I really don't like the thought of Omega hands coloured in with a felt tip pen. From your pictures you can see it doesn't look right with what appears to be an uneven texture. Given genuine replacement hands are so cheap, why didn't you just order some new ones?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I admire your tenacity but I really don't like the thought of Omega hands coloured in with a felt tip pen. From your pictures you can see it doesn't look right with what appears to be an uneven texture. Given genuine replacement hands are so cheap, why didn't you just order some new ones?
Thanks for your comment. The full story is that I removed and re-installed the movement about 6 times in total.

The first time I was too careful not to get the red permanent marker over the lume that I didn't get far enough in. So I did it a second time, and red on red meant it almost looked cherry red! So I removed the movement again, and used some nail polish remover on a cotton tip and removed the red and it went back to an orange colour. Then I re-coloured it with the red permanent marker, and was finally happy with the result. Then I discovered lint under the crystal so removed the movement again.

The picture I posted is not really the final product. It looks really good now and unless you knew it had been done, you wouldn't notice it. Plus I think the cost of genuine parts are ridiculous. A single full link for the bracelet is around $100 with postage, and a bracelet pin $27!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for your comment. The full story is that I removed and re-installed the movement about 6 times in total.

The first time I was too careful not to get the red permanent marker over the lume that I didn't get far enough in. So I did it a second time, and red on red meant it almost looked cherry red! So I removed the movement again, and used some nail polish remover on a cotton tip and removed the red and it went back to an orange colour. Then I re-coloured it with the red permanent marker, and was finally happy with the result. Then I discovered lint under the crystal so removed the movement again.

The picture I posted is not really the final product. It looks really good now and unless you knew it had been done, you wouldn't notice it. Plus I think the cost of genuine parts are ridiculous. A single full link for the bracelet is around $100 with postage, and a bracelet pin $27!
Seriously, I don't mean my comment as a slight. I genuinely do admire your tenacity and enthusiasm to learn a new skill and you're braver than I because I wouldn't have a crack at doing that on my watch (I have the same model). I'm just being fussy.

I can't remember the price off the top of my head but I know a set of hands isn't all that expensive. Also, the last time I checked a few months back, Omega's RRP to a UK AD on a SMP bracelet pin was £0.98 each + £3.50 shipping. What con-merchant is trying to charge you $27?!?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Very nicely explained.
A slightly OT query..... Do all Omega SMP's (Quartz as well Automatic) have the anti-magnetic shield?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seriously, I don't mean my comment as a slight. I genuinely do admire your tenacity and enthusiasm to learn a new skill and you're braver than I because I wouldn't have a crack at doing that on my watch (I have the same model). I'm just being fussy.

I can't remember the price off the top of my head but I know a set of hands isn't all that expensive. Also, the last time I checked a few months back, Omega's RRP to a UK AD on a SMP bracelet pin was £0.98 each + £3.50 shipping. What con-merchant is trying to charge you $27?!?
Yeah I know what you mean.. I hesitated big time before I took my screwdriver to the watch. I own an AT8500 opaline dial which I bought brand new, and would never even dream of opening the watch, let alone removing the movement. I only did it to the SMP quartz watch as it is my daily beater.

The prices for the parts are from an ebay seller, but I checked again after your post and yes indeed they are overpriced. I bought a half link from the Omega boutique for $40 which they installed for me, but the ebay seller is asking $98 including postage. I made the error of assuming ebay always offered competitive prices!

Anyway thanks for your comments. I might post a photo of the real final product later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Major props to you on your bravery in doing this yourself.. I know I definitely would never attempt something like that :p

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
A new second hand from Ofrei.com = $20

Labor to have the hand swapped at the local watchmaker = $20

Knowing that I didn't screw up the watch = $ priceless

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A new second hand from Ofrei.com = $20

Labor to have the hand swapped at the local watchmaker = $20

Knowing that I didn't screw up the watch = $ priceless
LOL I hope I didn't screw up the watch.. working fine so far. Here in Aus where everything is expensive, a local shopping mall watchmaker working out of a stall charged me $50 for removing lint under the crystal of my Longines a couple of years ago. Got quoted $80 or more at the fancy pants watchmakers in the city.

It was actually kind of empowering to do a DIY job.. if I ever have the time and the energy for it, I'm considering enrolling in a beginner's watchmaking class :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts