WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm taking apart a Nomos Tetra with the Alpha movement, and cannot for the life of me figure out where or how to removing the crown & stem assembly.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Loosen the screw right next to the crown wheel. No need to unscrew it completely, just maybe 1.5 turns or so, then try to remove the crown and stem. If you unscrew it too far, you will have to remove the hands and dial to reseat the parts, so go slow with it.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I'm sort of curious as to why your taking the watch apart?

You obviously have no watchmaker skills as you don't even know how to remove a stem

DON

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
jmai...Hello!

I may be too late, but: it's a GREAT idea to pull the crown to the set position before removing the stem; if it's removed in the wind position, there's a ( depressingly ) 'good' chance that the wind / set mechanism will be fouled upon stem re-assembly, which requires the dial be pulled to re-set things.

It's also a GREAT idea to very carefully examine where the crown is in relation to the case when removing the stem: this way, when you re-install the stem and push it in to that spot, there's a good chance that it will align with the setting / winding mechanism properly.

I have worked on many watches where I assumed that the stem would--as if by some kind of Magic--simply 'want' to go back into the movement to exactly the correct position...

...wrong!

Michael.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think the better question would be why that watch? Isn’t it rather valuable to be learning something as basic as how to remove a stem?

Mike

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone!

I wanted to remove the movement/dial assembly from the case as there was a tiny spec of dust under the glass that was bothering me. I have experience with Seiko modding and would never dare attempt to take apart a movement, but something like case and stem removal is something i am comfortable with, provided the right knowledge. :)

Anyway, the operation was successful thanks to the tips here.

Cheers
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts