WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a GPW1000 that has the white G-Shock letters on the bezel.

Has anyone switched out the bezel?

How hard is it? Any pitfalls or tips?

This is my first Casio.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
As far as I know, you'd be the first one to attempt it. Somewhere around here there is an exploded diagram of the watch's construction that might help. I vaguely recall seeing a display from when Casio released the watch that had it disassembled into pieces, it might have even been in one of the promotional videos as well. Also, sometimes if you call pacparts and ask real nice they will email you an exploded parts diagram, but I'm not sure if they would have one for the GPW.

Good luck, and please report back if you have any progress, preferably with pics if possible. I would love to know more about the construction of this watch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know, you'd be the first one to attempt it. Somewhere around here there is an exploded diagram of the watch's construction that might help. I vaguely recall seeing a display from when Casio released the watch that had it disassembled into pieces, it might have even been in one of the promotional videos as well. Also, sometimes if you call pacparts and ask real nice they will email you an exploded parts diagram, but I'm not sure if they would have one for the GPW.

Good luck, and please report back if you have any progress, preferably with pics if possible. I would love to know more about the construction of this watch.
I've done searches for the diagram but haven't found one yet.

LOL, this is my first G-Shock and I figured some of you guys would help me with dis-assembly! Not break out the Popcorn and say go for it, we'd like to watch this train wreck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just wondering, which part did you order?
is it the whole case like this?
View attachment 7072106

I haven't ordered anything yet.

Don't even have the watch yet. Just ordered it yesterday!

But I'm thinking I would like to have the Neon Signs on it dimmed a bit.

Looks like you know how to get it apart?

I need the parts at 6 and 12:00 with the white letters.

maxresdefault.jpg

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Fact is that its a fairly new model and there are not a great deal of members own it, and even fewer would be willing to modify such a high end (for a G-Shock) watch. I did a bit of research on it a while back because I was considering upgrading mine to titanium, however the price of parts proved to be cost prohibitive, so I ditched the idea.

To the best of my knowledge, the part Everdying posted was the case center, and would run you about $340

The main part you are trying to replace would be this part, at $75: PacParts: 91087150056

I couldn't find the diagrams that I looked at in the past, but I was able to come across this (Post 473): GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all. - Page 48

It looks like you remove the screws on the front of the bezel and remove those two resin parts to have access to the steel bezel, which is the part you want to replace. It is pure speculation on my part, but I suspect that the steel part may then be attached with some sort of adhesive, in which case you would have to (very) carefully pry it off. That is just my best guess, I wish I could help more.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
LOL, this is my first G-Shock and I figured some of you guys would help me with dis-assembly! Not break out the Popcorn and say go for it, we'd like to watch this train wreck!
People would love to be able to help with disassembly, but it's an issue of supply and demand, price and common sense.

This isn't quite like modding a DW-5600 or a DW-6900 -- those are basic, inexpensive models that Casio has been making for 20 years, and there are used ones in various conditions all over eBay.

As I mentioned in that other thread, the GPW-1000 is NOT a terribly common watch around here and not that many people here own them. It's also a relatively expensive G, which means that fewer people are going to experiment with modding their watch. If something goes wrong, it's a lot easier to justify buying a replacement when a brand new one can be had for less than $50.

Since the GWP-1000 is a GPS atomic solar analog watch, it's also a lot more complicated than a lot of other G's -- there are occasionally surprises like small springs hiding under the bezels of relatively simple G-Shocks, so who knows what parts might be lurking beneath the surface of this one? And of course, since this model was just released in 2014, there probably aren't a whole lot of them that are banged up and in need of repair yet. A lot of them are still probably under warranty, and who really wants to void the warranty of a new watch that still looks good and works properly?

Obviously, YOU do, but you're probably in the minority there, among a fairly small minority of people who actually own that watch. :) The inability to easily find a dozen other people who own (and have modified) this watch is probably just another facet of the "early adopter tax."

Looks like you know how to get it apart?
He might not -- I'm guessing he found that by Googling "GPW1000 bezel." That picture appears in some Japanese Yahoo auctions but doesn't look like it's been posted on Watchuseek previously:https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1920&bih=946&tbs=sbi:AMhZZiulDn8z96G-_108MutQDqn_1WG4DIVtJ0zfoPLyw6RGRzr6djHyAecPuyaUfL6bLctgfYv1Ob9lLihpCZrCO-K-yXy6KjRv3Sv5AWy1W8MXaUub009lICKoyjHz5eFeCUNcjoMkbRRHHr3Gn3gyWGVbWuD5RGTtGjgMpRX3qhoAKnlgRchaUF1Ay9_1TgGSmHMEHPvwSUMgcbtR2eBmESMu5Gu9SlxBQf7YKFFEOBABA0iSIB49ab0h2ELqnDAQIg6zUPL_1FWffvkJUvKyLlfaKb9_1L9rKk-VpXstU_1n8aMDN6lKorjaAaYDKARqrUev-NKWiiZyoqy33K0l7H5iAb-wMvHquqgHdPzGPEYnT-eMcIVXwHz8wbiZNnNjmaGS2RwIomvOQkd2LwKQAtXsCAiUGhn0i55Mmg79QFRrFOR2O5tuTlcecyhi8FJgtqcO3bXb-fRxGALvOielq5NuSYNqLCoXOV-D8-mFbeOjunHPAK2JWgEXPaOWV3AWIu-SIBpQ9OgjY5x7gtH4WK6MRtY_1zmsdlqmknGWuG4GtIf3ICV4APosGdIs2O7HMlfpQydwXdfYoL4xJ1UxTQAFPUvx0klGZpGWypGL0iHzESeMN_1LX7a2BXon41gHz-VLeRVi5ZllRBFg9yJqSDswNWV0-BCficX1Cw-tHs202We3sWK8hSzo-05Dv1WXYRSXFYXsSx681ONM-C584ybRAM4mOJ4EwqxoqGI84KFGQPGkzO86ha4JzBcHw_1I3gXXxh1wgAtueMuI2lNsJvKhJZxL3w63hBJAoO2fCBAtjx0gW4U4oTlrYrRg56gKp2Jlq7QpaCogS_120rPB8uz19LcCZf4LZsE0hMAbXVVkOCvxp3bA1ywbiLaehzgt877vMFsMpZFPTKXZNzf77_1oKZUEFy1SBfNarE5mOBU4HNmHbEXq2iGwr5HI2WZ_1kRMEHOZszbsL-0Uwuy3q8or1Me-4yVr_1RNrCC2DnUv74aNGfJVXdeqdWVXBBN4Qxgyu_188IIG1PtbIJYkv4mCPds29ywtzpWkfU6DxqpnyrFPaZ7yNTm96QkReCArM347EwJRZ0bpVTFnbQRrG9dOyP80etUNhRlq5vP_158k4BQ1dTk_12QUC2EforwsL908Sw5ZG78rByXPJtG1NM1gCnecnoi7xh5eFN4PuP3Zg1Qx0tUlV_1pWHRwNaWOgzPKiPCzky3-tfLI4mXZlkFffvEaL-maDEE-q-tbbuY9zsSSILEmiO5jagNEBrrHf-WnarH-OvpszQXUNQJUBFzr1L5Q4caiczhzshA_1w4VmsPq3Uf2ZU2shQR7ozEqH09famKPzd_1ZJotOASsDiGPVK9WeyyaWfJ21bWn_1Ymz5scdDsbpHphk07Ydxxg4uuADB1cumPCaCOalOtf9dcbhx4e9vhWMY4fpt141YR20wFX2Fao3TRReYrnL0NxrOcygU-xTmVi2SS6D49IyqJrpFXmq8uVGjtAfP0fOXUcEJeD9z_16cn-B5EfjPz8cVwEiWIeTLZOh6f4qani9b7sCbd1p26H0qR_1EA7WAB2YiTzDyTA&ei=sWLBVobwLIK2mwGhxp0w&start=0&sa=N

Googling that myself led me to GPW-1000T - G-SHOCK - CASIO and this picture of that model's titanium bezel:

titanium bezel.jpg

Comparing that picture to the parts list at Pacparts [ Casio GPW1000-1A Parts and Accessories ] -- and the picture of the outer resin bezel -- makes me think that the metal inner bezel interlocks with the resin outer bezel. IF I'm right and IF they're anything like the interlocking bezels on the GW-(M)500 and MTG-(M)900, then both bezels need to be removed from the watch case before they can be separated from each other. The screws on the face of the watch at 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock probably have to come out, along with the pieces they're holding down, but that's as far as I'm willing to guess. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fact is that its a fairly new model and there are not a great deal of members own it, and even fewer would be willing to modify such a high end (for a G-Shock) watch. I did a bit of research on it a while back because I was considering upgrading mine to titanium, however the price of parts proved to be cost prohibitive, so I ditched the idea.

To the best of my knowledge, the part Everdying posted was the case center, and would run you about $340

The main part you are trying to replace would be this part, at $75: PacParts: 91087150056

I couldn't find the diagrams that I looked at in the past, but I was able to come across this (Post 473): GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all. - Page 48

It looks like you remove the screws on the front of the bezel and remove those two resin parts to have access to the steel bezel, which is the part you want to replace. It is pure speculation on my part, but I suspect that the steel part may then be attached with some sort of adhesive, in which case you would have to (very) carefully pry it off. That is just my best guess, I wish I could help more.
I had found a Video somewhere, maybe of the launch in Basel or something, CES, who knows. It showed a display case with a cutaway of the watch. It showed those orange plastic pieces and I thought how could that hold the Bezel on. So adhesive is making more sense now.

I wanted the Titanium too but they really soak it to you for it. Titanium is relatively cheap now, so they are just jacking us on that price IMO.

Figured I'd post here just on the chance someone had done it.

I'm afraid to try paint on it. May have to just live with the Neon signs for a while.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought the bezel was resin having seen previous posts a while ago about resin rot?

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK, thanks for the info

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
You guys can probably decipher these parts in this video
There's some useful information on the "display board" in the video, but it seems to be mostly devoted to "look at all the cool features" and not so much how the smaller pieces fit together.

I'm thinking I might for the paint.

I didn't realize the whole Bezel was metal.
According to the Pacparts parts list, there are five bezel pieces:

gpw1000 parts list.jpg

The two metal bezels (the one we're talking about, and the one with all the city codes) fit into the large resin bezel and are probably held in by the smaller bezel pieces at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. (I still think that the metal bezel piece we're talking about MIGHT interlock with the large resin bezel at 6 and 12 o'clock, but can't be sure from the enlarged picture.)

It MIGHT be as simple as taking off the four screws at 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock, removing the smaller bezel pieces they hold in place, and then removing the metal bezel. As Knives and Lint said above, Casio probably used some super-sticky 3M double-sided tape to hold the metal bezel in place during construction -- the parts lists shows ten different "tape/adhesive" pieces for that model. [ Casio GPW1000-1A Parts and Accessories ]. Casio likes to use that stuff during assembly but it can be a little frustrating when we take them apart. "Why won't this piece come off? Is there something I'm missing, like screws on the back that I can't get to, or is it interlocked with that other bezel, or is it 'just' that adhesive?"

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'm thinking I might for the paint.

I didn't realize the whole Bezel was metal.

Yea, I think that's probably your best bet. Since your just painting them black I think you can pull it off with good results. That being said, I have no experience with painting (or removing excess paint) from a DLC coated bezel, so you may want to take care and do some research on what chemicals may not be safe to use. However, it is my understanding that DLC coating is chemically bonded to the surface so you should be fine (though the depth of my understanding of DLC is admittedly limited).

I wanted the Titanium too but they really soak it to you for it. Titanium is relatively cheap now, so they are just jacking us on that price IMO.
On a side note, I never mentioned on this forum an experience I had when I was considering the titanium upgrade. Once when I was searching pacparts I noticed that they actually had the case center and case back for the titanium model marked for $2 each. I promptly added them to the order I was placing, figuring it couldn't hurt to try. Undoubtedly, about a week later I got an email from pacparts saying the parts were no longer available from Casio. Now I honestly never expected to them to go through and sell me the parts at such a huge loss, but it would have been nice if they had been honest and said it was a mistake on their part, rather than lying to get out of honoring the mismarked price.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
It has resin bezel on two sides with metal bezel sitting at the top
The bezel is actually metal all the way around. As you can see from this borrowed Internet pic, the resin "claws" are added on the side and go over top of the metal bezel.

This pic from Casio shows the metal bezel ring:

Reactions: aalin13 and GaryK30

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
On a side note, I never mentioned on this forum an experience I had when I was considering the titanium upgrade. Once when I was searching pacparts I noticed that they actually had the case center and case back for the titanium model marked for $2 each. I promptly added them to the order I was placing, figuring it couldn't hurt to try. Undoubtedly, about a week later I got an email from pacparts saying the parts were no longer available from Casio. Now I honestly never expected to them to go through and sell me the parts at such a huge loss, but it would have been nice if they had been honest and said it was a mistake on their part, rather than lying to get out of honoring the mismarked price.
Ouch! I'd have had to resist pushing the issue and partially burning a bridge by sending back a snarky e-mail. "Do you think you could manage to get these parts if you were going to sell them at the RIGHT price, instead of the standard $2 cost you use for springs and springbars and tiny pieces of double-sided tape, and that you obviously had these listed for BY ACCIDENT?"

Obviously they DID manage to get the parts again (for $400+ and $100+ respectively) but it would have been nice if they'd owned up to their mistake!

On the OTHER "other hand" it's probably a depressing sign of the times: it's easier to lie to good customers than it is to deal with the few idiots who would pitch a fit about "no, no, that's the price you had listed! I'll call the Better Business Bureau and the local TV station's consumer protection guy, and drag your company through the mud on Yelp and Google Reviews!" (They have exactly ONE Yelp review so far, with someone giving them one star and complaining about their 20% restocking fee.) :-(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts