WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back home for Chinese New Year and happy to see all my G-Shocks together again.
i have most collectibles in a foam case and whatever that I can't fit in draw. Most of my collection are vintage digitalis and I Just found out one of my DW-002 just rot away with crack. After I touched a bit examine, it just break into pieces. Very brittle. This is my first resin rot experience. I have not wear this piece like... Forever and it didn't exposed to UV in drawer so my guess is the temperature and moister of Taiwan climate.

Anyway, resin rot is not a new for G-Shockers who owns vintage so this thread is not rediscussing about resin rot. I would like to focus on, ways to rock g-shock after resin rot and still looks cool on wrist. Do you still rock those G-shocks or you usuall put them in drawer and never look at them again? For those metal, titanium casing G, can they fit on proper bracelet? Stylish straps? NATO?

Can an you show us how do you rock it?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Sorry to hear about the resin rot, but as you said, it's far too common with G-Shocks from that era. :-(

Here are two threads featuring "naked G's" that are still worn: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/wearable-naked-gs-244956.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/naked-pics-anyone-972883.html

There are others here, but a lot of these results are "just" of the watch in question without a bezel, not with a strap and not on a wrist: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17+naked&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17+naked&start=10

Plenty of G-Shocks still look good without the bezel -- the only minor problems are that they aren't quite as shock- and scratch-resistant without the bezel's protection, and the button pushers seem extra-long without the bezel covering them.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I do... Not all of them work out well without the bezel, but some do (IMHO):

And with some 5700 models you can use a 5600 bezel (there are 3 sizes of 5700, so it's a little tricky).

This is a DW-1100 (not a G-Shock), and was also notorious for resin rot:

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
the dw002s are so notorious for resin rot. its like they have a self destruct mode built in to gradually start killing the resin after a certain number of years lol

for that particular model, if you really want to keep it, just rebirth it with a donor dw6900. personally id just sell the case and module and keep the band for mods.

(tho that braclet almost makes it look standard |> )

·
Registered
868 Posts
This is a DW-1100 (not a G-Shock), and was also notorious for resin rot:

Well, that one looks just stunning, very “Mech” to me, casio_dw1100_1.JPG and because the buttons are supported by metal structures, looks very right, unlike (imho) the MRG-1, which, though it looks very good, has buttons which also look sort of vulnerable, like they could be damaged by a sideways push. Is this a justified fear? mrg-1-1.jpeg
I wonder if anyone has tried wearing a G-2000, which also has buttons like that? g2000_1.JPG (pics stolen from e-bay)
the dw002s are so notorious for resin rot. its like they have a self destruct mode built in to gradually start killing the resin after a certain number of years lol
Love the design of this model too. If only Casio would revive this one. With better resin, of course.​

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I agree, zabat. That's why I periodically wear the DW-1100 this way. It's kind of like "modern steam-punk". ;-)

The MRG-1 is fine without the bezel, but I would not use it carefree (meaning, I wouldn't go swimming with it or expose to mud and other debris). The buttons are slightly exposed but they're quite solid for normal use.

The G-2000 without the bezel looks beautiful in all its stainless steel polish splendor (so does the GL-110 TC series). But there's something about the original G-2000 band that doesn't work quite right without the bezel. A band borrowed from a GW-2310/G-2300 works OK. Overall, the G-2000 didn't suffer much bezel rot at all. Very seldom do I see them around without bezels.

·
Registered
868 Posts
...DW-1100 ... ...like "modern steam-punk".

A much better description than “Mech" especially considering the fact that G-Shocks have no mechanical movements.

...The G-2000 without the bezel looks beautiful in all its stainless steel polish splendor... ...Very seldom do I see them around without bezels.

Too bad, they look like they were designed to be worn without bezels, having, imho, the best looking G-Shock cases, smooth, polished, and perfectly proportioned, with only the wider shoulders of the band and the slightly exposed buttons to give it away. Great pic too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts