WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am a newbie, so be gentle...

I just started collecting automatic watches within the last few years (and know very little). So my question is... (and I apologize if this is way long)

I have 2 POs. One is chrono (just got it) the other I've had for about 1 year. I have 2 single watch winders - an Orbita Sparta and a Wolf 1.5. I only wear the watches on weekends so they stay on the winders through the week.

If I put my 2200.50 on the Orbita, it will gain 4 seconds per day with the 6 facing up, it will lose 7 seconds a day with the 12 up. So, I rotate it back and forth between positions and basically never have to set it.

With my 2210.51, it just gains 4-6 seconds regardless of position. It does this for either winder.

Any reason why you think this happens?o|

If I were to not put the 2210.51 on the winder, can you recommend a position that might help it lose time so I can even it out? Face up? Face down, etc?

I know I know... I am anal about the watches keeping great time. And I really am lazy about having to wind them each daily if I am not wearing them... so I am looking for a solution.

Any ideas?

The help would be appreciated. I didn't want to post all this and have the you guys think I am nuts (but Eric convinced me it would be ok!).

Thanks, sirs!

~Dominic

PS I promise to post pics of my "twins" soon! :thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes... OK.... WITHOUT opening the case. I am so not ready to do that.

Is there a way to regulate the gain/loss of time just by repositioning the watch during rest or on a winder?

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Oh come on dude........

go ahead and just take the back off and get started. Big flathead screwdriver and a hammer is all you need. Its easy, just follow the
directions in Anthony's thread and you'll be OK. Take the screwdriver
and pry the back off, if it doesn't come off, get one of those case thingys
and keep screwing till it comes off. Easy enough right? When you get it off, find the balance wheel. Its the thing that goes back and forth, round and round......got it?
You know I'm fooling with you. Do not take the caseback off that watch
unless you have the proper training. A watchmaker ain't no idiot, leastways, most aren't, and messing around in the back of that thig spells trouble. You need the proper timing equipment to time it and a knowledge
of whats really going on in there. I wouldn't touch it. There are guys here that have the knowledge and can do it well. Its something you need to watch and be familiar with.
Your watch is 4 - 6 seonds fast and is still within COSC specs.
I'd live with it till it needed service or was out of spec. Thats
just playing it safe. Good luck and be a little more tolerant.
jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Oh come on dude........

Haha! I am sooooo tolerant. Well mostly. I am fine with the overall accuarcy (it's more accurate when worn), I just wondered if there were resting positions to place the watch in to make it not gain time.

It really comes down to me being way too lazy and not wanting to set the watch on a regular basis!

·
Registered
110 Posts

go ahead and just take the back off and get started. Big flathead screwdriver and a hammer is all you need. Its easy, just follow the
directions in Anthony's thread and you'll be OK. Take the screwdriver
and pry the back off, if it doesn't come off, get one of those case thingys
and keep screwing till it comes off. Easy enough right? When you get it off, find the balance wheel. Its the thing that goes back and forth, round and round......got it?
You know I'm fooling with you. Do not take the caseback off that watch
unless you have the proper training. A watchmaker ain't no idiot, leastways, most aren't, and messing around in the back of that thig spells trouble. You need the proper timing equipment to time it and a knowledge
of whats really going on in there. I wouldn't touch it. There are guys here that have the knowledge and can do it well. Its something you need to watch and be familiar with.
Your watch is 4 - 6 seonds fast and is still within COSC specs.
I'd live with it till it needed service or was out of spec. Thats
just playing it safe. Good luck and be a little more tolerant.
jim
GREAT!!!!!
"back and forth, round and round"

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

Haha! I am sooooo tolerant. Well mostly. I am fine with the overall accuarcy (it's more accurate when worn), I just wondered if there were resting positions to place the watch in to make it not gain time.

It really comes down to me being way too lazy and not wanting to set the watch on a regular basis!
This isn't what you're going to want to hear, but I've found that winders mess with accuracy, so I tend to just let my autos run down during periods where I am not wearing them. My Omega is definitely far more accurate when it goes through a day of being worn, followed by a night of rest, then a day of being worn, etc. as opposed to sitting on a winder. Sadly, my winder has been relegated to expensive display box status...

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
The best advice I could give

is to throw that damned atomic clock away, set the watch 5 minutes fast and don't worry about it. Its exactly what I do and I'm not ever late,
usually a few minutes ahead and it causes a whole lot less stress in my life.
On a different note, the reason they make display backs is to keep
idiots like me from being tempted to open that baby up and see
whats going on. Its pretty cool, lotta stuff going on in there.
So..........I'm gonna keep looking through the back and sucking up
to my watchmaker.
jim
ps
I think Anthony was fooling with you too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I know. You guys are messing with me - it's OK. Eric and I had a good sidebar conversation, and what I think I will do is take the 2210.51 off of the winder, wind it by hand (I'm so lazy, I just don't want to...), and then rest it in different positions when I am not wearing it to see what keeps the best time (face up, down, crown up, etc.).

I will leave the 2200.50 on the Oribita since that seems to work great.

So no worries... just ramblings from someone that's too obsessed with time and accuarcy (on checking on time.gov everyday!!!).

Thanks for the info (and the humor)!!!!

~D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ya, what the hell is the matter with you, just strap the watch on and don't worry about the time. There are other things to obsess about like who is with your wife or girlfriend tonight and if that person is wearing a better watch than yours.

I know, I know. You guys are messing with me - it's OK. Eric and I had a good sidebar conversation, and what I think I will do is take the 2210.51 off of the winder, wind it by hand (I'm so lazy, I just don't want to...), and then rest it in different positions when I am not wearing it to see what keeps the best time (face up, down, crown up, etc.).

I will leave the 2200.50 on the Oribita since that seems to work great.

So no worries... just ramblings from someone that's too obsessed with time and accuarcy (on checking on time.gov everyday!!!).

Thanks for the info (and the humor)!!!!

~D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts