WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Big Zero that my wife has hijacked and been wearing a lot but has now started keeping terrible time. She'd like it fixed.

I've tried regulating but can't escape enormous positional variance and have essentially come to the conclusion that I should just replace the movement.

I have quite a few 2609s and most just happily plod along with little attention but they're in watches I'd rather not cannibalise right now.

Does anyone know of a good source of reliable replacements? There are a lot for sale on the bay but all are sold completely as spares with no assurances on performance at all.

I'm just after one that's a reasonable runner. Is my best bet to buy a donor watch that looks to have a clean movement but the case and dial a bit shoddy and gamble it runs well?

As I have quite a few watches with this movement, I'm sure this will come up again. I'm keen to understand what other collectors here do with these old movements that are very inexpensive but no longer in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a service at watchman is better solution.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
While I would prefer to keep the old movement going, the chances I can find someone here in the UK to service it for anything close to the price of replacement are minimal unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
While I would prefer to keep the old movement going, the chances I can find someone here in the UK to service it for anything close to the price of replacement are minimal unfortunately.

Shipping to Russia - 7-10 pounds
Service in Russia - 10 pounds
Shipping back - 7-10 pounds
?

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,196 Posts
...the chances I can find someone here in the UK to service it for anything close to the price of replacement are minimal unfortunately.
Replacement with what? A used or old-stock movement which would need servicing soon anyway. Raketa is a premium brand these days, so the chance of cheap new movements is unlikely.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Why not contact Mr. Daffyd Ellis in Porthmadog North Wales, he does great work at very low prices.
Service by someone like Mr. Ellis is the more dependable solution, any other method you are rolling the dice and I would put your chances of snake eyes and being right back where you started from 50/50 at best. Also you will still have the expense of having the movement installed by someone.

Another approach would be to choose one of your other 2609s that's running good but doesn't get much use and put it in partner's big zero then with a little patience try to find a movement for the donor, no hurry.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Service by someone like Mr. Ellis is the more dependable solution, any other method you are rolling the dice and I would put your chances of snake eyes and being right back where you started from 50/50 at best. Also you will still have the expense of having the movement installed by someone.

Another approach would be to choose one of your other 2609s that's running good but doesn't get much use and put it in partner's big zero then with a little patience try to find a movement for the donor, no hurry.
Oh, and you asked what others do, back when I first started collecting vintage soviet-era watches I recognized pretty quickly that if I was going to keep my sanity and be able to afford the hobby I would have to learn how to do a simple watch movement service for myself.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am able to switch the movement over myself, so yes, I was really asking if anyone has a more reliable way of getting tested movements.

I see a lot of tested complete watches but all movements sold as untested spares. And obviously a complete watch costs more and is a shame to break up if it's working.

It looks like I'm going to have to invest a bit of time in learning to go a bit further and do something resembling a service myself.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
I am able to switch the movement over myself, so yes, I was really asking if anyone has a more reliable way of getting tested movements.

I see a lot of tested complete watches but all movements sold as untested spares. And obviously a complete watch costs more and is a shame to break up if it's working.

It looks like I'm going to have to invest a bit of time in learning to go a bit further and do something resembling a service myself.

If you have some screwdrivers and a decent pair of tweezers you could remove the balance, wind the watch, and nudge the pallet fork. If it snaps back and forth with a little nudge all is good in the train up to the balance and perhaps all you have to do is replace the balance. If pallet fork doesn't snap back and forth complete service is required.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you have some screwdrivers and a decent pair of tweezers you could remove the balance, wind the watch, and nudge the pallet fork. If it snaps back and forth with a little nudge all is good in the train up to the balance and perhaps all you have to do is replace the balance. If pallet fork doesn't snap back and forth complete service is required.
Thanks. I will do this and see how I get on. I'm definitely up to that much.

It's the huge pile of pieces and no idea which order to reassemble them in that scares me!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Without a doubt I would send the watch to Dafydd Ellis, High Street, Porthmadog, LL49 9NW. Tel 01766 512024. He will do a service very inexpensively circa £20 at the last count and is happy to receive and return watches by post. All my watches go there as do the watches of many others on this forum.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Without a doubt I would send the watch to Dafydd Ellis, High Street, Porthmadog, LL49 9NW. Tel 01766 512024. He will do a service very inexpensively circa £20 at the last count and is happy to receive and return watches by post. All my watches go there as do the watches of many others on this forum.
I was convinced that such watchman should exist in UK - not small country BTW...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. With the prices elsewhere, that is truly extraordinary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts