WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
101 - 120 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry for the delayed answer, but considering the facts that I've seen previous in this topic, I think it's a fake for a number of reasons:
1. Price
2. Second-hand is too long.
3. The "Swiss Made" writing at 6 o'clock it's rather big (I'm not very sure about this)
4. Painted washers.

Best Regards,
Mike

·
Premium Member
23,164 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The easiest and sure way of detecting these false tissot of shangai is to listen to the machinery.
Quite this very well imitated in the false ones, included the packing and the box of the clock, even to sphere except the machinery that late mas slow that the etasa 2824 I authenticate
The false ones take a calibre to 21600, not to 28800

If his him locle sounds as his seiko 5 of rapidly it is false
If it sounds mas rapidly almost it is sure that is real

Test and they say to me

·
Premium Member
23,164 Posts
I am not sure the beat rate of the movement is a sufficient means of detecting fakes, there are Chinese ETA 2824-2 clones with 28800 beat rates, and I could certainly imagine one of the higher end replicas could be equipped with a Seagull or Hangzhou 2824 clone movement.

See the following post for how one might distinguish between a genuine ETA and a clone.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=206720

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I am not sure the beat rate of the movement is a sufficient means of detecting fakes, there are Chinese ETA 2824-2 clones with 28800 beat rates, and I could certainly imagine one of the higher end replicas could be equipped with a Seagull or Hangzhou 2824 clone movement.

See the following post for how one might distinguish between a genuine ETA and a clone.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=206720
The frequency is not in general a good method to discover falsifications, which happens is that in this particular case and I make concrete the forger who did everything very well forgot to put a máquina to 28.800
In the particular case of this series of tissot if that is a good method because already they are made and arranged to the sale in and bay with the slow calibre

Test and they say to me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: How to spot a fake Tissot PRC-200

I bought a PRC200 (with white dial) from someone, he said that his friend bought it in China during a trip. He said that it is authentic.

I tried to compare the watch and the box to what shown in post #16 and #20, and noticed some differences:

1. It has the letters "BI" engraved in the buckle strap. However, in the post #45 other poster said his watch bought from AD also has the letter.

Other than that the watch seems to be correct: lume on hands and markings, tachymetre letters are centered, leather strap not padded, chronograph works,...

2. Back-side of the box: spacing between the black and white portions is equal, but the TISSOT letters are printed fine.

3. The Tissot marking inside the box, seems to be more silverish. In the attached picture it will look really silver due to the camera flash.

4. Bottom-side of the box: the mark "do not discard" is present, but there is also a hole at about the center where you can insert your finger to push the Tissot catalogue and the "Story of Watch" book out. The "Story of Watch" however is printed fully in Chinese.

I took the watch to one AD, they opened the box and examined the watch (not thouroughly, though) for 5 minutes and they said it's a fine watch......... :think:

Would appreciate any feedback from you guys... Thank you.

PS. I bought the watch for $50 less than Amazon price (not 3rd party)... if this means anything at all...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just an update to my post #107.

I went to two different authorized dealers and checked a few PRC200 watches chrono and automatic (new model). The watches all have 'BI' engraving on the buckle.

I guess I have to come to the authorized service center to see whether they can open the back-case and check the movement....:think:

UPDATE:
- I put the watch under a bright afternoon sunlight for two minutes, and then took it inside a dark indoor room. The luminescence of the hours marking last almost 30 minutes, and on the dial hands last almost 1 hour.
- I did the water drop test on the glass. The water ran solid without a trail. So I believe the glass is sapphire.
- I went to the service center, they compared my watch to theirs, checked the packaging, etc. They said it's genuine and no need to open the case and check the movement......

So, my watch is either genuine or it is a 99.99% supergrade replica.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
i want to say that i saw many of these tissot from china and they look amazing.
I do not even think they are fake...tissot might be making watches destined for asian market directly in china and all these pieces are leaks,or maybe they just make certain parts right there,this is a question that only one tissot representative can answer;but for commercial reasons i don't really expect this degree of fairness.
The thing that is odd is that there are about 100 tissot models-degree of detail identical to AD stores(prc100 ,prc200, le locle, le locle rectangular,prs516 & retrograde,prs200,t-one,t-racing,stylis-t,ballade,and few others) that are sold by chinesse sellers and i do not think such type of operation could go on without tissot knowing about it.
Most sellers claim that they are resellers or stock liquidators and that watches are bought from prince jewellery hong kong ,but warranty material is stamped with ,i quote: "SWITZERLAND JEWELLY WATCTH SHOP - PRINCE "-notice watcth , jewelly words misspelled.
So my advise is if you want one tissot watch,even if you pay $50 more that you would pay if you get from china(you can get in trouble at the customs,they can seize your item and even fine you) try to buy it from a seller or site that is based in the us(jomashop,amazon...) or europe (watchshop.com...) or singapore(which you might says that is asia ,but is verry good place to get authentic merchendise-watchub-timeparadise verry good sellers) or even from ad.
so,hope this was helpful and good luck y'all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are getting better...

but they still fail in the details. Just received my fake today (hardly expected a real one though). At first sight there is no telling, although it feels a little lighter than the original. So far I noticed on my "PRC200":

1. no heed for detailed workmanship, sharp edges on the wristband, the corner of the clasp was not trimmed after stamping (image 1).
  2. no solid steel bolts holding the wristband, bur really cheap wire pins (image 3).
  3. The small hands were just cut off and not trimmed to a point, the mount is still painted yellow and not chromed(image 2).
  4. Part of the 12 o'clock lettering didn't get through printing o| (also image 2).
  5. The lettering on the inside of the clasp is stamped very rough (image 4).
  6. Hands and indices are all illuminescent apart from the one at 7 o'clock :roll:
  7. The engraving on the rear of the casing is too shallow (almost faint). The serial number actually looks lasered, but the lettering is raised above the casing (very strange).
  8. They paid more attention to the detailing of the box, lettering is better, distances on the back still don't match Tissot, the "Do not discard" logo on the bottom is silver/chromed and not red.
  9. All lettering in the printed matter has fuzzy edges.
I contacted my seller about the alleged authenticity of the watch b-)

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Re: They are getting better...

These speculations about fakes are getting little ridiculous. I know there is a lot of fakes, especially PRC200, but are the aforementioned details really that different on "real" PRC200.
I never had one, so I don't know really, but this is tissot not a grand seiko.
No solid bolts? What is that? Is PRC200 supposed to use screws? Because those are just normal split pins that tissot uses on number of other watches.
Rough edges on the clasp? Normal on other original tissots, so why not on PRC200.
Painted center pins of chrono hands? Well, to m it looks better than bare metal, regardless of being bulletproof indication of being fake. If that's fake, maybe tissot can get some design cues.

12 has obvious defect, and that could be a reason it was sorted out by QC??
Can we have some pics of the caseback?

·
Registered
8 Posts

No solid bolts? What is that? Is PRC200 supposed to use screws? Because those are just normal split pins that tissot uses on number of other watches.
Rough edges on the clasp? Normal on other original tissots, so why not on PRC200.
Painted center pins of chrono hands? Well, to m it looks better than bare metal, regardless of being bulletproof indication of being fake. If that's fake, maybe tissot can get some design cues.

12 has obvious defect, and that could be a reason it was sorted out by QC??
Can we have some pics of the caseback?
You are right, apparently does Tissot use split pins. So far I have only encountered tapered pins in my other watches. My cheap Camel and Fossil chronographs that I use for outdoor activities (each of them cost about half of a "cheap" Tissot) all had no such flaws, smooth edges all around, solid steel pins, no paint on centers, no cutting-edges on the small hands (see image for example from a 10 year old Camel watch). And I would consider neither Camel nor Fossil as high quality watchmakers. The images from the caseback didn't work out, my lens is too big or I would have to disassemble the wristband again.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts

Then you can't consider Tissot a high quality watchmaker either.

And I see you got a nice carbon fiber dial there. (looks real to me)
But I think that quality of Tissots would certainly benefit from stopping financing those muppets aka. tissot ambassadors, and doing better finish of clasps, dials, hands and final QC. But well, there need to be exposure to mass market and once you have that, the finish and details are not that important anymore. http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/d77lv/*****slap.gif

·
Premium Member
23,164 Posts
There is a listing on Taobao for a PRC 200 which is supposed to be authentic. The interesting thing about the listing is that they go into extensive detail comparing a real and fake PRC 200, complete with very extensive photos.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4164784235

Place the link into Google Chrome or translate.google.com to get a sense of what they're referring to. For the purposes of understanding the photos, one only needs to know that 真 is real, and 仿 is imitation (replica). Of course, I don't know for a fact that they are indeed using a real PRC 200 as the comparison model.

If the forum members who obtained their PRC 200 from a reliable source could compare their watch to the supposedly real model in the photos, that would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
23,164 Posts
These are comparison photos obtained from that Taobao listing I mentioned in the previous email. 真 is real, and 仿 is the imitation.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Folks, this watch is almost certainly fake. However, I would like to know if you folks can find what the giveaways are in this watch.

Thanks.
The Tachymeter lettering is not centered on the outer ring, but too high up. Check the small hands with a a magnifying glass, both ends should have a smooth taper, not a blunt edge.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Then you can't consider Tissot a high quality watchmaker either.

And I see you got a nice carbon fiber dial there. (looks real to me)
But I think that quality of Tissots would certainly benefit from stopping financing those muppets aka. tissot ambassadors, and doing better finish of clasps, dials, hands and final QC. But well, there need to be exposure to mass market and once you have that, the finish and details are not that important anymore. http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/d77lv/*****slap.gif
It is still my favorite watch, I wish I could find a brand new one anywhere b-)

I suppose the Chinese are avidly reading this thread too. So any of our remarks might improve future "replicas". They have a long tradition of excellent craftmanship. Had it not been for communism, we might be copying their products today. I would seriously cherish a replica that shows better craftmanship and attention to detail than the original :-!

101 - 120 of 909 Posts