WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today's WRUW, 2 persons showcased the Casio MTF-E002 and E003. Both have movable inner ring with directional markings. I was wondering how that works, since it's not in the Casio manual. Turned out to be the oldest trick in the book to find direction, which I happened to not know. Learn something new everyday!

The basic rules to remember are:
A. In the Northern Hemisphere of the Earth, the Sun rises from East and sets to West, at noon it's due South.
B. In the Southern Hemisphere of the Earth, the Sun rises also from East and sets to West, but at noon it's due North.

The link below is a near perfect illustration of how to do it. Just need to add 2 more instructions:
1) At noon, when your hour hand is pointing at 12, you don't need to do bisecting. 12 o'clock is South for Northern
Hemisphere, and North for Southern Hemisphere.
2) For Daylight Saving Time, you need to use 1 o'clock as the reference instead of 12.

Other than those, follow the rest of the instructions in the link.
How to Find Direction Using a Watch: 8 Steps (with Pictures)

Here's the same video in the link. The guy happened to have an old AWG100. :)

Very nice!!
I think that, that one, is a variation of this one:

Or vice versa!

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
My goodness, I remember doing that a long time ago in the cub scouts - (Harold Wilson was UK Prime Minister, LBJ in charge of USA) LOL

Reactions: Watch_Geekmaster

·
Registered
686 Posts
This method does work, but so does a stick in the ground and a shadow.

I just posted this pic in the WRUW thread, might as well post it here too just to show a few more Casio's with this feature.
CasioMTEs001.jpg

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This method does work, but so does a stick in the ground and a shadow.

I just posted this pic in the WRUW thread, might as well post it here too just to show a few more Casio's with this feature.
View attachment 2284954
Nice! I like the cleaner looking E001 better.

Something's with WUS's quote and attachment, I quoted your other picture above, but it's only showing up as a link, no matter what I did.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every Gshockaholic needs some direction in life, but not from an analog watch / LOLz
If you look into the Tips section on the bottom of the instruction page I linked in the first post, it's telling you to make your digital watch into analog with a pencil! LOL :)

"This method can also be used using a digital watch. Either mark the face of your digital watch or simply use your imagination to superimpose the position of the hour hand and the numeral twelve in the correct position of your watch face."

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I forgot, I should have mentioned that this method doesn't really work at all in the UK as even in the summer, you rarely get to see the sun! :-d

Reactions: nigelw

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My goodness, I remember doing that a long time ago in the cub scouts - (Harold Wilson was UK Prime Minister, LBJ in charge of USA) LOL
Let's just say that you've seen many sunrises and sundowns! ;-)

I forgot, I should have mentioned that this method doesn't really work at all in the UK as even in the summer, you rarely get to see the sun! :-d
You only need a glimpse of the Sun to tell the direction. At least better than the folks in the equator, they can see it very well, but since it passes them overhead at noon (neither South or North), they can't tell where they are using this method.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts