WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry folks but im sure this topic has been asked 1 mill times. How do correctly set the time and date on my superocean without doing damage to the internals. I have read some horror stories of unfortunate souls who have screwed up because they didnt follow the correct procedure.

Since I wont be wearing my watch all the time, it will probley be stopped. Do I wind first.... etc....?
pete

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,032 Posts
You're right about it being asked before... this thread should cover most of the ground..

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=98067&highlight=quick+set

The only info to add... manual winding 25-35 turns should provide 30-40 hours of reserve. If you wear it daily leaving it for ~8 hours overnight on the dresser then you should be able to wear it without further winding day after day. If you leave it off for a few days/weeks then the above applies.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only info to add... manual winding 25-35 turns should provide 30-40 hours of reserve. If you wear it daily leaving it for ~8 hours overnight on the dresser then you should be able to wear it without further winding day after day. If you leave it off for a few days/weeks then the above applies.
Hi, I just have an additional quick question on this. When you unscrew the crown and set about winding the watch, in which direction do you wind, or are clockwise and counterclockwise both OK? Also, does this differ from movement to movement (specifically the B13 and the B17)?

Thanks.

EDIT: forgot to ask, is it OK to turn the time or date back?

P.S.: I wish Breitling would post .pdf versions of user manuals for their watches on their website, like Tag Heuer does, so a person could familiarize themselves with the use of their watch before they buy it, as I am sure all this info is in the manual.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,032 Posts
When you unscrew the crown and set about winding the watch, in which direction do you wind, or are clockwise and counterclockwise both OK? Also, does this differ from movement to movement (specifically the B13 and the B17)?
Modern movements are by nature bi-directional, meaning the crown can progress or regress[clock or anti-clockwise] as required. You only add energy to the mainspring in the clockwise direction. Going anti-clockwise simply causes the "recoil click"[or winding click] that holds the ratcheting gear to release and let the crown freewheel back to allow clockwise motion without releasing the crown from your fingers.

Here is a beautiful big example from Laco of what you find on most mechanical movements in one form or another.

EDIT: forgot to ask, is it OK to turn the time or date back?
Date setting depends on which type of movement we are talking about. Speaking only about mechanical watches, you will find slow and quick date set version. Neither can be regressed as far as date setting goes. Therefore one always has to progress the calendar forward through the month to get to the date desired.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank you very much, SnapIT!

Just one more thing (Colombo style ;-)), it is completely harmless to turn the time back, right? If, for example you're adjusting the daylight savings time, you don't have to go 2 whole circles and then a whole circle with the date so both will be correct, just can just turn the watch back 1 hour and be done with it?

Edited for clarity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts