WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tough would a G-Shock’s case, crystal and push-buttons be without the resin protective bezel or the G-Shock strap design that protects these things?

The interior cushioning (inside the case) for the display module would protect the module from high drops etc but how tough is the actual case, crystal and push-buttons without the bezel and strap design? And would a G-Shock survive official Casio G-shock stress tests if the bezel and strap were removed?

In other words, is it the bezel and strap that makes a G-Shock tough?

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Re: How tough is a G-Shock without its bezel and strap?

Plenty of G-shocks without the resin bezel and on a bracelet, so I suspect it's still pretty tough.

GST_210D_9A_l__94269.1456765861.600.600.jpg

·
Registered
550 Posts
It would still be pretty tough but the buttons would bend easily since they have no protective bezel and would protrude farther than they should from the case therefore easily bending. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
How safe is your automobile with seatbelts and airbag but no side impact curtains? In other words all of today's safety features in an automobile are designed to work in concert with each other, the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. I have to think that G Shocks work along the same line; the bezel offers additional protections engineered into the design whole. If your automobile has side impact protection would it be in your best interest to disconnect it?

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
How tough would a G-Shock’s case, crystal and push-buttons be without the resin protective bezel or the G-Shock strap design that protects these things?

The interior cushioning (inside the case) for the display module would protect the module from high drops etc but how tough is the actual case, crystal and push-buttons without the bezel and strap design? And would a G-Shock survive official Casio G-shock stress tests if the bezel and strap were removed?

In other words, is it the bezel and strap that makes a G-Shock tough?

Short answer: no.

Gs are tough because of a “floating module” design and/or any material inside the case (like Alphagel) to help cushion the module against shocks.

The bezel will give some protection and even the strap might help cushion a fall from height, but these are not primarily why Gs are tough.

Reactions: Dr. Wong

·
Registered
345 Posts
Partly. Don't ask how much. Nobody knows.
I say not even Casio knows, though they might have a better idea since they designed them. They test Gs to verify they meet certain set criteria. They are NOT testing them until they break to see what the limits are.

Bottom line: G-Shocks are tough, even just the hard case watch head by itself is still tough, but they are NOT indestructible.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
It seems earlier generation of g-shock did use strap as one of the shock resist component. Even today most resin band Gs do not lay flat.

·
Registered
325 Posts
They are NOT testing them until they break to see what the limits are.[/QUOTE said:
I bet they DO!!!...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Here is a video of the new G Steel testing pusher....It has a layer of steel and Resin...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwXDzIuYNKc
Here's a better video on the G-Steel abuses.

Just note that, I think some of the test equipment Casio used for filming a marketing video may not be the ones they actually used for official testing. For example, the hammer test follow by shatter glass is most definitely for the awe value only. This article below features some of the real equipment they used in the Casio R&D center.
https://www.watchonista.com/articles/depth/rare-look-inside-casios-secret-g-shock-rd-lab

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Here's a better video on the G-Steel abuses.

Just note that, I think some of the test equipment Casio used for filming a marketing video may not be the ones they actually used for official testing. For example, the hammer test follow by shatter glass is most definitely for the awe value only. This article below features some of the real equipment they used in the Casio R&D center.
https://www.watchonista.com/articles/depth/rare-look-inside-casios-secret-g-shock-rd-lab
Great link at the end. This might shed some more color to one of @WES51’s earlier questions about G-Shock’s testing standards.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bet they DO!!!...
While I am not 100% sure either, but my educated guess is they do not, at least not on every model of G-Shocks. The reason is cost. They have some set criteria, for example: hit by hammer of certain weight being dropped from top and swung exactly 180 degrees; spin by centrifuge of certain RPM; drop from certain height with certain value of assisted acceleration; shock by electricity arc of certain voltage and ampere; shaken by shaking machine with certain set value; repeated press of buttons of couple thousands of times; repeated hook and unhook of strap buckle certain number of times; etc. Once the design can pass all these, they are done. No point to waste more money to see how far they can go to completely destroy the G every single time.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just out of curiosity, does any other watch company use similar toughness technology as G-Shocks?

Casio has no doubt patented its technology, but there must be other similar technologies that are available to other watch companies that are “open source”.

If not, it means that other watch manufacturers can’t offer watches as tough as G-Shocks. Is that correct?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Great link at the end. This might shed some more color to one of @WES51’s earlier questions about G-Shock’s testing standards.
Thank you Eric. After that thread, I continued to look into the issue and generally there ARE standards for shock resistance testing as well. From the responses in this thread, I take that there are people who are interested in this subject after all. I too find it very interesting and so why not exploring it and discussing it deeper together. Although, after what happened on my other thread I find myself still a bit exhausted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts