WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Dive Master 500 Black Ice (quartz) and a Dive Master 500 Mecha.

I've taken the quartz version hiking, climbing, on the field on deployment (running on humvees, shooting, etc). It has held very very well and it keeps time fantastically well.
My wife gave me as a present the Mecha. I love it. I love the way it looks, I love the movement and the lume.

However, how tough is it? Can I do the same activities as with the quartz? Would it break? Anyone has taken the watch to rough terrain?

I contacted Victorinox but their answer was a simple: it's ok if you run with it.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The movement is a very good one--ETA 2892-A2, I believe, the same base movement that Omega used for their 1120 caliber which is in the Seamaster Pro. I'm pretty sure the 2892 at least has Incabloc shock protection, so I think it should hold up reasonably well. You already know how tough the watch case is, and unless you plan on dropping the watch onto hard surfaces, I wouldn't think twice about the movement.

I owned the Mecha for a few months and wore it as a "work" watch where it did see some light "abuse" and it held up fine. It kept excellent time and the PVD finish held up very well. I say, just wear it and enjoy it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the answer. I couldn't find anything regarding shock protection on any website for the Dive Master but I do know that this particular ETA movement is somewhat tough.

I went running with it and did some lightweight backpacking but nothing like any of the activities I put the quartz through.

Thank again for the answer.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
Thank you for the answer. I couldn't find anything regarding shock protection on any website for the Dive Master but I do know that this particular ETA movement is somewhat tough.

I went running with it and did some lightweight backpacking but nothing like any of the activities I put the quartz through.

Thank again for the answer.
It isn't as resistant to damage from shocks as the quartz movement. Although the escapement uses shock absorbing jewel mounts it is still susceptible to damage from being dropped or banged into something. Hiking should not be a problem, but I would not take it rock climbing.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
I'm as guilty as anyone of babying my automatics, but I think it should handle all that stuff quite easily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@John MS thanks. That is what I was thinking. I guess it's going to be an every day watch so long as the everyday activity doesn't include field work. It's ok. I still have the quartz.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the answer to Victorinox just now:

Thank you for contacting Victorinox Swiss Army.
Yes all of our timepieces are shock resistant, your should not have any issues with this timepiece.
Please contact us if you need further assistance.
Sincerely,
Victorinox Swiss Army Customer Service

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've abused some of my automatics quite a bit and they seemed to be doing just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts