WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps it would have been more accurate to ask "How much of a brand whore are you?", but I decided to keep the list of topics a bit more civil.

I admit that sometimes I like the watch, but I don't like the brand and hence it doesn't make it to my "hmmm, maybe I should consider this watch" list. I even caught myself thinking "I'd probably consider buying this had it not been labeled [blah]".

Now, brand is, certainly, not the only consideration because different brands carry different quality of material and that, together with calibers, are the main tangible qualities that set them apart. And that snobbish way of thinking is also within reason: i.e. I wouldn't have bought a Tag, for example, if it said PP on the dial because I'd expect PP's quality of finish to be of higher quality. But I think you get my point...

So, who's honest and brave enough to confess in this beautiful, irrational and even somewhat pathetic snobbery? :roll:

·
Registered
38,970 Posts
Cars definetly, my mate keeps telling me SEAT are the same as Audi, but I need the 4 rings on the grill!!

Watches, not so much so, if I like the watch brand doesn’t really matter, quality does, and the style.

Clothes, not at all.

Sunglasses definetly!!

So quite a bit of a brand whore really.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Perhaps it would have been more accurate to ask "How much of a brand whore are you?", but I decided to keep the list of topics a bit more civil.

I admit that sometimes I like the watch, but I don't like the brand and hence it doesn't make it to my "hmmm, maybe I should consider this watch" list. I even caught myself thinking "I'd probably consider buying this had it not been labeled [blah]".

Now, brand is, certainly, not the only consideration because different brands carry different quality of material and that, together with calibers, are the main tangible qualities that set them apart. And that snobbish way of thinking is also within reason: i.e. I wouldn't have bought a Tag, for example, if it said PP on the dial because I'd expect PP's quality of finish to be of higher quality. But I think you get my point...

So, who's honest and brave enough to confess in this beautiful, irrational and even somewhat pathetic snobbery? :roll:
Very. I bought, flip and rebought a few seikos only to ultimately sold them all. Perhaps it is a trust issue with their low end and not all that accurate movements. Having a watch with a Swiss movement just makes me go "aaaaahhh"

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I think brand whore and snobbish are different discussions entirely.

Sure, people who will only wear recognizable names like Rolex and Patek are one form of snob. Maybe the most common.

But I also think the refusal to buy or wear a watch below a certain quality threshold (case, movement, etc) is also snobbish. At least, my non WIS friends would definitely call it that. I would fall into this section.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm a brand whore i guess. When it comes to watches, clothes and accessories i prefer brand names with history.

It doesn't have to be a Rolex watch and an Armani suit it just has to be a respectable brand.

That said, the brand name is only a small part because it has to have a nice design that suits me.

·
Moderator Public Forum
24,087 Posts
...I admit that sometimes I like the watch, but I don't like the brand and hence it doesn't make it to my "hmmm, maybe I should consider this watch" list. I even caught myself thinking "I'd probably consider buying this had it not been labeled [blah]"....
Q: How many watches have I passed on because of the brand?
None.

Q: How many watches have I bought because of the brand?
A: None.

Q: How many watches have I bought because I liked how the watch looked and felt on my wrist?
A: All of them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As long as it's an OK brand, it checks a box... but quality and design comes first.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Will Durant

·
Registered
134 Posts
Honestly not too snobby...the only real brand that makes me see red is probably Invicta. I can't explain it, but when I see an Invicta watch..

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
All Luxottica

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Will Durant
Does having a pair of Ray-Bans make me a snob? I did wear them a lot but they broke. My main sunglasses used to be a brand I can't even remember the name of for over a year. Now I main a pair of Maui Jim. So for me, a major brand name here and there, but not all the time.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Honestly not too snobby...the only real brand that makes me see red is probably Invicta. I can't explain it, but when I see an Invicta watch..
Even before I knew about the Invicta stigma on this forum, I've passed on watches from them in favor of other brands. I think I just found something from another brand I wanted more, or just didn't like what I saw.

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
If I like a watch that's all that counts. I couldn't care less about the brand.
I care about the brand...in the sense that they're not a fashion brand. I hold Casio and Rolex in equally high esteem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does having a pair of Ray-Bans make me a snob? I did wear them a lot but they broke. My main sunglasses used to be a brand I can't even remember the name of for over a year. Now I main a pair of Maui Jim. So for me, a major brand name here and there, but not all the time.
lol I'm just teasing. If it makes you feel any better, I used to own a pair of Dolce&Gabbana sunglasses for 3 months before I returned them . (What was I thinking ?)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm, i don't have the same issue because I barely consider Invicta a watch brand:) That is how snobbish I am :)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
lol I'm just teasing. If it makes you feel any better, I used to own a pair of Dolce&Gabbana sunglasses for 3 months before I returned them . (What was I thinking ?)

Haha. That's funny I used to have a pair of DGs. Only because I went to the store with a friend and they convinced me to. I was not into sunglasses at all at the time, nor was I into D&G at all. I was in college, young and impressionable.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I generally won't buy a watch I haven't tried on, so to the extent there are brands that don't have B&M distribution channels then I am biased against them. Beyond that, I would never buy a watch I didn't like to look at...so I'm biased against brands that make ugly (to me) watches.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts