WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new watch as a present when I graduaded the swedish equivalent to high school. I saw that it was rated "10 bar Water Resistant" so I went online to figure out exactly what that means. It didn't help much. I found the tables explaining 10 bar / 10 ATM / 100 M is for swimming and snorkling (and obvious things like rain and splashes of water) and that you'll need a 20 bar / 20 ATM / 200 m watch to dive.

The question is what they mean by dive (do they mean scuba diving or what?)? Can I take a deep breathe and swim a couple of meters under water with it or do I have to keep at the surface of the water or it will break? I don't talk about diving very deep, not more than maybe 3 meters (think dive in a swimming pool).

I also saw this post and it got me intrested in how water resistant it really is. I would imagine that it isn't very water resistant as it is more of a good looking watch than a sporty or divers watch. Anyone with experience of this or similar Seiko watches regarding water resistance?

Link to watch on Seiko's site: Premier - Perpetual Calendar | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I assume you have just taken the "studenten" ?

Congratulations on that, and on your new watch!

You will read many different answers on your question.
My take is that your watch should be absolutely fine for all sorts of water activities. But, I have a recommendation:
Take the watch to a watchmaker, and let him test the water resistance. Your watch is designed to take 100m depth, but not tested. A small % are faulty, with a less WR than intended. Once you know the WR, you can go swimming, even diving!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, thats right! I've taken the "studenten" and thanks :)

It seems that you are swedish like me so maybe you know this. About how much does it cost (in SEK) to have my watch's water resistance tested?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I moved from Sweden (Osby i Skane) 15 years ago, so I can not tell you todays cost.
It is a simple process that only takes a few minutes. But you need to find a real watchmaker.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've had seiko sports 100 (10atm WR) watches since the 80's that have done plenty of snorkelling, surfing, spearfishing etc and never had an issue. There's no need for concern. Just keep it away from hot water (showers etc).

Congratulations BTW

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
A watch rated 10ATM like yours can be used for all daily activities including swimming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I moved from Sweden (Osby i Skane) 15 years ago, so I can not tell you todays cost.
It is a simple process that only takes a few minutes. But you need to find a real watchmaker.
Where do you live?
Pretty close to where you used to live, in Hässleholm, Skåne. The Watch is bought at "Söderbergs Ur & Guld" in Hässleholm, maybe you have heard of it, its very old and you lived closeby before. Does it qualify as a "real watchmaker" or are they just selling and I need to find some place where they really make watches?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I know Hassleholm very, very well!

I do not remember the name of the shop, but I used to service my watches in Kristianstad (lived there for some years before Osby) in the shop in the center that sells Omega. They had a proper watchmaker (15 years ago).

Do you know the gun shop in Vinslov? Holmgrens Vapen? I bought many handguns there... Wonder if the boys remember the crazy dentist from Osby...
They bought them all back when I moved to UK.

EDIT: Found a proper watchmaker for you, in Kristianstad: Urmakarn Sven Palmkvist, Vastra Storgatan 35, tel 044-120906

The chace of it being watertight down to 100m is what, 99.999%? But not 100%. Have it tested, be safe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I know Hassleholm very, very well!

I do not remember the name of the shop, but I used to service my watches in Kristianstad (lived there for some years before Osby) in the shop in the center that sells Omega. They had a proper watchmaker (15 years ago).

Do you know the gun shop in Vinslov? Holmgrens Vapen? I bought many handguns there... Wonder if the boys remember the crazy dentist from Osby...
They bought them all back when I moved to UK.

EDIT: Found a proper watchmaker for you, in Kristianstad: Urmakarn Sven Palmkvist, Vastra Storgatan 35, tel 044-120906

The chace of it being watertight down to 100m is what, 99.999%? But not 100%. Have it tested, be safe!
Ok, I will have it tested the next time I go to Kristianstad if it isn't too expensive :)

Sry I don't know the guys in the gunshop but I've heard of it tough ;-)

EDIT: Apparently Urmakaren Sven Palmkvits is now known as Torstenssons Ur and I'm guessing thats where you used to service your watches since there is a Omega sign in one of the windows according to Google Maps.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
And I used to know the chief at Folktandvarden in Haslehom very well. V. Bitzekis is his name.

Torstenssons sound familiar!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I used to know the chief at Folktandvarden in Haslehom very well. V. Bitzekis is his name.

Torstenssons sound familiar!
Ok, thank you so much for your help! Just to clarify, it is ok to dive a couple of meters with my watch right? Noone answered with a clear yes so it is a bit confusing :S Also, how about sea (salt) water? Can it cause the watch to rust or something?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
You will get vastly different answers to your question.

The chance that the WR is below the stated is extremely low. The chance water will get in is extremely low.
It should be fine. Should. But nobody can guarantee anything, unless you make sure that the WR is as stated (watch tested for WR).
Saltwater will be OK, just rince it under a tap after.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
The thing is, you won't be diving below 50 m. So 100 m WR is plenty. Seiko are some of the best quality watches available so if they say it has 100 m WR you'll be laughing at 50 m. But it is a good idea to have the gaskets replaced and the watch pressure tested every few years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, haha, this really makes me wonder why the hell they (some websites etc.) write that a 100m WR watch should not be used for diving whatsoever (just snorkling and swimming). Also, I will test the WR before I take a bath with it on, better to be safe than sorry:).

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
The reason they write that is that even if a watch is designed for a task, but not tested, nobody can guarantee that it will do it 100% (as I wrote before, a fraction of a % will have less than the stated WR).
They do not want customers getting angry and they do not want the expense of rectifying wet watches.

The SAE/DIN requirements for a guaranteed Water Resistancy is for Divers watches. Every watch has to be tested, and the manufacturers of these tested Divers recommend a new test at certain intervals. Lives can be lost if a divers watch malfunctions.

Test it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts