WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just gave me this calculator watch:
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Databank/CA53W-1/

Now it says "water resistant" on it, which is supposed to mean it will survive splashes and rain but not pools or hot tubs.

I also have a F105W-1A and it says water resistant too, but I've taken that in the shower many times and in the hot tub as well, and held it directly against the jet on high for several minutes, and pushed buttons under water, and poured dish soap all over it and pushed buttons while it was soapy and it survived perfectly.
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Classic/F105W-1A/content/Technical_Specs/

I also got a F28W-1 from a thrift store and accidentally sent it through the washer :oops: and it didn't leak a drop. :-! This thing has a plastic pop off back too!
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Classic/F28W-1/

When I was a kid I had a Timex with a pop off back that was only water resistant but I took that in the pool, bathtub, hot tub, and the creek with no problems.

My question: is the calculator watch as water resistant as the other three or should it stay dry? Anyone got any experience with it? It handles the faucet OK and didn't drown in a glass of stationary water, but I've seen an Ironman with NO GASKET survive the same, so that's no test. This thing is dirty!!!

If you're curious it's a true classic. Mine's made in Korea so it's not a true vintage, but it's got the same style.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
'Water Resistant' usually just means splash proof. I suppose the only real way to find out would be putting it to the test, but to be safe I wouldn't do more than wash your hands while wearing it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My swimming instructor back in the 1990s always wore a Casio calculator watch in the pool. He never had any problem. (I think it was a DBC-150, or similar.)

I wouldn't recommend it myself, but it does appear that they are a bit more resistant than you might think.

Having said that, it's really not a good idea to operate any buttons under water.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I operated buttons under water trouble free many times before I read I couldn't. I still do that. I don't want a watch that's that fragile. Maybe if you go down to 200 meters and do it you'll have a problem. :think::think::think: Do I smell a new thread??:) I've never been below 15 feet.

I used to have a databank calculator as a kid. It was the kind with two screws in the back. I got it wet in the shower and it survived. So the next night I got it wet in the shower again and it survived. I kept doing this and just when I thought it was water resistant it fogged up.o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o| My neighbor told me he ruined his DBC washing his hands. I've seen people get them wet at amusement parks and water parks and those survived too. A kid at my school took his DBC in the pool and it lived. So the DBC is kind of water resistant if you have an accident, but I wouldn't recommend it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts